A hole dug by a Hitachi Zaxis 135US Excavator

Svedberg

I have added som stones and gravel to the trench. Finer material towards the surface and the road, and coarser material lower down. The dirt and clay guck I added yesterday turned a bit to light when it dried. I need to darken that part some.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image links.
  • Like 5

Ha ha! Mr Cribbins. Never heard of him! But a quick google on "bernhard cribbins hole" gives a lot of hits. So I guess you're all on to something 😀 Might it be that "the hole" never became an international hit? 🤪

Edited by Svedberg
  • Haha 2

My too long and not that round hole is nearing completion. I added a crossing pipe and a conduit, with marker tape to match. No wires hanging out though.  🙂 

spacer.png

Next I will pave the road.

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image link.
  • Like 6

In the previous post I said that road paving would be the next step. That is still true, and is ongoing. But there is not yet very much of interest to see. Instead I want to show something else related to the same diorama.

Around here a special type of marker signs are very common when traffic needs to be temporarily diverted. The signs look like as in the picture below.

spacer.png

So I obviously needed a bunch of those. I made the actual signs from pieces of strip styrene, while I made the base plates using wood model wall cladding.

spacer.png

The signs were painted orange.

spacer.png

Instead of trying to paint the stripes I used a photo of a sign which I cropped so that only the striping remained, scaled down to 1/35, duplicated and printed on ordinary letter/copy paper.

spacer.png

There is actually two stripe patterns for each sign. One for each side, with the stripes "pointing" in opposite directions (left/right). I cut out the signs and glued them in place. Here is the result.

spacer.png

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image links.
  • Like 7

The road pavement is done, at least more or less. I used drywall spackle for this. Here is the spackle with a first light coat of paint.

spacer.png

The surface is a little uneven and dented, but that only adds to the realism, I think.

I then added more coats of paint trying to simulate that stripy pattern that the roads, at least here, obtain after a few years. The wear and tear from the car wheels, especially the studded tyres used during winter, makes lighter colored "tracks" in the asphalt. This besides the fact that the asphalt is generally bleached and is more gray than black. Last I added some road markings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image links.
  • Like 5

To block off the hole in the road I needed some barriers. I had already set my eyes on this type of concrete barriers.

spacer.png

I first thought it would be a good idea to 3D-print the barriers. So I drew a 3D-model of such a barrier, after having found the proper dimensions on the Internet. But it turned out it would be rather pricey to have such a barrier printed, not to mention the fact that I wanted at least four of them.

I instead decided I should try to cast them in plaster. I built a mold using pieces of styrene card and strips. I made the mold so that it would cast only half (one side) of a barrier. To do it in that way would make it easier to get the casting out of the mold in one piece. For the same reason I also made the mold partly separable, and held together by a removable frame. Here is a picture of all the pieces, followed by one of the assembled mold.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is the mold filled with plaster...

spacer.png

... and a casting, i.e. one half of a barrier.

spacer.png

Once I hade made 8 castings I could assemble them into 4 barriers. To finish them off I first filed the bevels on the corners. I thought that a few strokes with a file would be easier than trying to build the bevels into the mold. Following that, I airbrushed them a gray color, wheathered them and added the hardware that makes it possible to link several barriers together. Here are a few pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I assume the blue triangles, which I duplicated from a real-life picture, is a company logo, but that it also serves to identify one specific end of the barriers. If they shall be linked together they must all be turned the same way. Otherwise the hardware (a simple link and pin system) will not fit together. That is my guess at least. 🙂

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image links.
  • Like 10

Time to build the last items before putting everything together. The things I intended to build were a crash attenuator and some signs. Something like this:

spacer.png

I started out with some tyres from Meng.

spacer.png

I really needed 9 tyres to create three stacks with three tyres in each, but I did not want to buy three packages. The two I bought were pricey enough. Instead I cut one tyre in half and built the two missing halfes from modelling clay. By letting the clay tyre halfs face backwards, towards the concrete barrier that will sit behind the stacks, no one would be able to notice.

spacer.png

Glueing the stacks together.

spacer.png

Next, painting the them yellow...

spacer.png

...and adding a stripe of red.

spacer.png

I created the signs from styrene, brass tubing and pieces of wood.

spacer.png

Finally, the actual signage was added. End result, after some additional touch up and detailing.

spacer.png

And as said initially, what remains is to put it all together. And adding some roadside vegetation.

Edited by Svedberg
Bad image links.
  • Like 12

Superb scratching Svedberg

Having made several moulds and cast my fare share of plaster, I know that things don't always go to plan, so I am particularly impressed by your very convincing concrete barriers. No sign of warpage, or other common deformations during curing.  All of your 'Hole digging furniture' is excellent.

On the photocopies front, am I right in saying that there's a way to turn photocopies into decals? IF yes, can someone give me some info on that?

Rearguards,

Badder

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Superb scratching Svedberg

Having made several moulds and cast my fare share of plaster, I know that things don't always go to plan, so I am particularly impressed by your very convincing concrete barriers. No sign of warpage, or other common deformations during curing.  All of your 'Hole digging furniture' is excellent.

On the photocopies front, am I right in saying that there's a way to turn photocopies into decals? IF yes, can someone give me some info on that?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks a lot  @Badder! I'm really happy with the barriers myself. Turned out better than I had hoped for 🙂

I have never printed or copied any decals myself, but I know that it is possible. A quick search showed this, among others: Decal paper to be used for your own prints or for copying already existing decals. It says "Use your own laser printer" so I'm  not sure it this paper works with inkjet printers.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Finishes/Transfers/Item/Decal-paper-laser-photocopy-clear/ITM4546

Actually they have this paper also, which is said to work with inkjet printers

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Finishes/Transfers/Item/Decal-paper-inkjet-clear/ITM4557

I know that white is a problem when printing decals. You either need white decal paper or an Alps printer, which is a printer that can actually print white. To use white paper seems like a more affordable solution, but then you must very carefully trim your decals before applying them.

• Thanks 1