++++ Martlet MkII - Finished ++++

Third contribution (I couldn't make my mind up) is this Academy Wildcat F4F4, which in FAA terms is a Martlet MkII. 

resized_bdb0ea6b-7480-4d65-b01c-cc7229e8

Simple kit, reasonably well moulded. Will need an instrument panel and some transfers from the stash. I'm tempted by an Operation Ironclad option from HMS Illustrious but I have a few more to ponder.

resized_e4f1d150-d64f-4eaa-bf84-d26f223f

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

Some paint on. Going to be a temperate Sea scheme finish. 

resized_59ad0029-ec56-42ce-8c9c-9ebe7f71

Engine (or as it's US made should it be motor?) and undercarriage assembled. Not bad detail for an elderly kit. 

resized_069894da-efe5-4909-8087-95093237

• Like 3

Here's the transfers I'll be using. DP Casper's Operation Ironclad, the successful invasion of Vichy Madagascar to prevent it becoming a resource for the Japanese. A Martlet II of 881 NAS on HMS Illustrious. I'll decide which of them later. 

resized_73ca76fc-420f-4eeb-94e2-3e54978a

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Nice offbeat choice!  It wasn't all that many years ago that I found out about the invasion of Madagascar, which struck me as a rather unlikely event.

At first it does seem strange but strategically it really did make sense. We didn't want the Japanese o have a base in the Western Indian Ocean that they could use to attack shipping getting to Egypt and the Western Desert via the Cape.

it was also a well planned successful operation that combined carrier air power with a seaborne landing 

Anyway back to the Martlet. Interior completed and painted along with a makeshift attempt at an instrument panel. 

resized_ed22925e-1d18-4b14-b4ef-c27f7f79

And now closed up

resized_28498400-e369-4765-a54f-ac716759

Pretty good joins, a sliver of filler is needed here and there just to help polish off the joins

• Like 3

Wings assembled, fitted and empanage on. 

resized_36dd4077-fe5b-4dae-9081-8b5e2b2d

The joints are great. No filler needed at all on the wing/fuselage join

resized_86eaee3a-744c-46bf-adb5-2b06ef9c

• Like 3

Airframe complete. Upperworks 

resized_59c382a9-77fb-437d-8430-36a9931a

and downstairs too. There was a slot for the stand and that's taken a bit of time to fill and smooth off satisfactorily. 

resized_ed6b0448-0bb1-48dd-ac3f-421aa1f8

a couple of coats of paint needed to complete. 

• Like 2

Hi 825,

I like you Martlet it's coming on nicely.  I did a similar conversion the the Tamiya kit in the remedial scale.  

To make it a Martlet II you need to do a little work on the cowling.  The MkII did not have the lip intake which is a simple sanding job, and it only had one large cowl flap on either side.  You might need to check out the Serial against the type of Pitot tube as well, the earlier serials having a unique Pitot tube.

See the IPMS article below to get a brief description of the various (complicated) Martlets..

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Hi 825,

I like you Martlet it's coming on nicely.  I did a similar conversion the the Tamiya kit in the remedial scale.  

To make it a Martlet II you need to do a little work on the cowling.  The MkII did not have the lip intake which is a simple sanding job, and it only had one large cowl flap on either side.  You might need to check out the Serial against the type of Pitot tube as well, the earlier serials having a unique Pitot tube.

See the IPMS article below to get a brief description of the various (complicated) Martlets..

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

Thanks GB. I took the cowling as correct as Academy label this an F4F-4, the Martlet equivalent is a MkII. I can fill the gills and leave the cowling with the two large flaps. On the pitot I'll use the serials in AJ range which had the traditional pitot rather than the unique backward facing overwing version, which were in the AM range. I have a copy of the  hyperscale article and should have noticed this. It truly is a brilliant reference source for the Martlet. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

I've had a busy few days but I've got some more paint on after masking the undersides. The prop tips have also been painted and the undercart is ready to fit when ready. I wasn't 100% happy with paint on the nose so it's had a light sand down and polish. Another coat of Dark Slate Grey is needed before camouflage with Extra Dark Sea Grey 

resized_a737dfd6-ded6-4228-b49a-1a2ba693

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Undercarriage on and transfers added. 

resized_47e3bac0-2bbb-4f75-926f-34718a1d

resized_218ddf7f-0ea4-4473-9d10-e914ccdc

resized_222a32b7-788b-454c-9eba-84a055ad

unfortunately the upper wing roundels have a white 'rim' around part of them. I'm not 100% sure what to do. No way are my painting skills good enough to paint them out, I'd worry (even with a couple of coats of Kleer) of masking tape lifting the original transfer or ripping them off and replacing with some from the stash. I think I still have half an Airfix Martlet transfer sheet and that should suffice. 

• Like 4

Disappointing about the upper wing decals, in every other respect it is looking really good. Sorry if I've missed what paint you are using but if that is an enamel finish, I've stripped decals with sellotape before when I've decided to reapply & had no hassles, just use enough to cover the decal rather than the whole wing as it were.

Steve.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Disappointing about the upper wing decals, in every other respect it is looking really good. Sorry if I've missed what paint you are using but if that is an enamel finish, I've stripped decals with sellotape before when I've decided to reapply & had no hassles, just use enough to cover the decal rather than the whole wing as it were.

Steve.

Thank Steve, the paint is Xtracrylix acrylic which is probably a bit more fragile. If I decide to remove and replace then I'll probably use masking tape which probably will take a bit longer to remove the transfers but be less likely to damage the paint. Anyway it's no great deal to touch up the paint, just a pain. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at my reference sources again and realise that the MkII doesn't have the carburettor scoop on the cowling lip so that will have to come off and be tidied up. 

Cowling sorted out and new upper wing transfers. I should have sorted out the cowling a lot earlier. Grey Beema told me about it  along with the cowling cooling flaps, which I rescribed.  However, it's done now,,and to be honest wasn't a difficult job. 

resized_58e68a2e-12da-4483-94f7-8c1eacdb

• Like 3

Prop on, canopy masked and fixed, and radio mast on. Not much more to do. 

resized_37673f80-7fd6-49bb-8152-d55b9fd9

• Like 6