Vosper Perkasa to Brave Borderer ?

Hi Folks

I managed to pick p the Tamiya Perkasa at Telford, thinking being it would make a good comparison with the WWII boats I've built.

Many of you will know the Perkasa along with three others was built for the Malaysian Navy. This was a spin off from the Brave Borderer/ Swordsman which got me wondering . . . . .

Is it possible to convert the Perkasa to Borderer? Modifying above deck would seem ok but there seems to be conflicting info about the hull dimensions. I have found that there is a difference in the depth of the transom platform Borderer 2' 10"  Perkasa 4' 4.5".

Your thoughts and info  would be appreciated

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 2

Kev, that is an interesting project & one I'd be very interested in following.

I built the Tamiya Perkasa when it first came out.  It was a great kit & its plastic quality much better than anything else on the market at that time.  My Perkasa model has long since gone to the parts bin, although I did use a couple of its sailors on my Fairmile 'D' build. 

Have you seen the pdf documents linked on the following web page? - https://sites.google.com/site/kdperkasa/Home/the-real-boat/the-les-brown-page.

These documents have a number of photos including two showing both the Perkasa and Brave class transoms.  The transoms look very similar in size in the photos (???).

It looks like some of the RC boat guys have completed the conversion to the Brave Class.  I did a quick search of the RC sites.  There's some talk of having to change the superstructure & exhaust configurations, but I couldn't find any mention of hull size differences between the two classes.  My guess (& it's only a guess) would be that any hull size differences would be minimal between the two classes, so the conversion would not require any changes to the hull other than to address the configuration differences shown in the transom photos.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I built the Tamiya Perkasa when it first came out.

Showing your age John, I believe it was released early 70's 😉

The Les Brown articles are great and I reckon they can be relied on, Les Brown used to work for Vospers - the design department I think. Which has just dropped a cog into place, Les runs Small Warships SIG. Got to be worth dropping him a line.

I found a layout on the interweb and the biggest difference I can see is that the superstructure has been cut in front of the open bridge.

Pan elevation (Copy) (3)

plus changes to weapons and placement.

I agree with you it's well moulded for it's time, guns, torpedo racks and stanchions need refining  but . . . .

Not looking to start this yet but I need to start the research

Kev

• Like 6

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Showing your age John, I believe it was released early 70's 😉 ,,,

,,, Not looking to start this yet but I need to start the research ...

Yes & yes! :nodding:

Hope you don't wait too long.  The clock's ticking for us old guys.  :waiting:  :winkgrin:

John

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 15/11/2018 at 00:58, Paul Bradley said:

I am curious as to why Tamiya chose to model such an obscure class

I  guess for there time they were a big leap forward (50* knots). The RN the other side of the world bought two. The Malaysian Navy on there doorstep bought four. Just my thoughts :whistle:

On 15/11/2018 at 02:30, JohnWS said:

Hope you don't wait too long.  The clock's ticking for us old guys

Oh Dear! I was told you live as long as you have models left in the stash . . . . Thinking about that time scale some guys I know will be able to go back in a time machine and build the original objects. 😉

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall of course be lending my customary encouragement!

Welcome! I hoped you was piped aboard. I heard a rumour you are now the Captain of the Starship. 🚀   🎂

Kev

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Welcome! I hoped you was piped aboard. I heard a rumour you are now the Captain of the Starship. 🚀  

The rumours are indeed true but sadly this lot has singularly failed to pipe me anywhere!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Has he started yet?

Dear Capt. Impatient. May I say typical attitude of a skipper . . . . . 😉

To put it succinctly           

NO!

A.    Research needed, this is not going to be out of the box. :hmmm: If I was to empty the box I could put you in it :rofl2:

B.   At least one project to finish before starting i.e. MGB658

Having said all that I've confirmed from a very good source that the project is do able. The Perkasa hull is the same as Brave Borderer with the exception of the raised deck over the engineroom. With the biggest potential problem removed the project will be going ahead in the near future Martian

I do thank you for your interest though

Kev

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Crikey, this is like an aircraft thread, on post #12 already and not started. Just shows the level of interest in the subject and to coin a phrase 'all good things come to those who wait'. So I'll wait, I've enough to get on with the mo.

Stuart

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Crikey, this is like an aircraft thread, on post #12 already and not started. Just shows the level of interest in the subject and to coin a phrase 'all good things come to those who wait'. So I'll wait, I've enough to get on with the mo.

Stuart

I, am sure this will be another epic build thread waiting patiently for the start  :book:

beefy

• Like 2

I also have the Tamee-Ya :wicked: Perkasa and want to build it as a Royal Navy craft; but I never thought to ask our friend Les for assistance. :doh:  Perhaps I could borrow those plans when you've finished with them?

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Perhaps I could borrow those plans when you've finished with them?

Mike

Don't imagine it will be a problem. The plans @1/24 I assume you are looking for them in 1/72.I currently look into a  company who can do photocopy reduction to 33%. The sheets are 1750 (88") x 825mm (32,5"). It seems we don't have enough electricery in Cornwall to practise this dark art?

Kev

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

It seems we don't have enough electricery in Cornwall to practise this dark art?

You mean you have electricity in Cornwall? :surprised:

Astonished of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You mean you have electricity in Cornwall

It comes up from the gulf stream, Cornwall get it first. It's called a current.........🤣

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4