Look who came home

P1010361.jpg

No, not the very fierce Jane Avril but Taily the wheel.

Sitting insultingly on one of my ancient but not venerable Toulouse Lautrec coasters as if it had been there all along...

Right me lad, I'm about to put a stop to that gallop.

Rotors on for a test fitting too, a bit of work to do there chaps.

P1010365.jpg

Front wheels next, tyres.

I hate painting tyres.

P1010367.jpg

But it will bring me closer to the finishing line

P1010368.jpg

Ooh look, I can see the droop stop indicators, dayglo they was.

I need a decent picture now of the rotor blades so I can see whether S-61Ns have the same rotor blade markings as Sea Kings...

• Like 8

.Don't you just hate it when this happens?

P1010370.jpg

Detailing nicely under weigh (odd 'unknown what?' sensors there ready for going on the nose, white nylon ordered for the life line rigging along the hull sides) then suddenly "Click" as the tail heel leg collopseseses.

Really getting excited again, usual default position as a build reaches a climax, then oops!

:( 

P1010371.jpg

Not sure because I did have one when I built the Sherpa, I may have a spare hanging about.

bugger!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Almost for the first time in a  thread of mine own, I just.

Won't.

No, won't, see no I won't.

As it 'appens I do 'ave two of these.

P1010372.jpg

No, not the entire spare kit spare but the section of the (probably/possibly) Revell Sea King bearing the tail rotor and almost improbably the tiny tail wheel with its bizarre attachment method, which I began(as usual) fettling before I got the  camera onto the tripod for pictures, so I have used the untouched (not my pain) sprue/runner from a full kit that I have in reserve for my next S-61N up there in the future.

P1010374-2.jpg

Doesn't LOOK kosher to me although who knows huh?

So as Heather predicted metal is involved as is drilling, here the replacement bottom bit has been moderately messed with anda hole drilled into the area where the fescalised strut sits in the fork.

P1010375-2.jpg

Not entirely the finished article but you can see where we are now-ish.

Here

P1010376-2.jpg

It

P1010379-2.jpg

Comes

The upper strut has been a tiny bit reconstructed and reshaped (and yes drilled) to accept the lower link and here it sits under the point of ultimate junctioning...

P1010381-2.jpg

Looks likely to work, shall we have a butcher's?

P1010385-2.jpg

Yes that will do nicely ta...

Paintbrush time again, whilst the glue sets.

• Like 10

Looks better now, methinks.

P1010389.jpg

These aircraft were photographed with and without the zig-zag lines running along the lower hull, presumably life-lines for use in ditching or sea landing recovery (sounds an awfully bad idea to me but several pictures of them  sploshing around in the "Debsplash" exist, possibly as results of mechanicalisatory bust-ups.)

Who knows?

The point is shall I add interesting white threads or go for the zagless look?

Jury out on that whilst I get on with the construction of new flotbag fittings as seen over to the right of shot.

My bench may appear uncharacteristically tidy, this was as a result of an unrequited search for the perfect lower fuselage antenna which I carved from an Airfix Puma antenna, with exactly the right angle and additional thin bits, stuck to the fuselage and left to set.

And forgot it was there and  began masking for the glossy nose radar dome.

It seems Gator's thin wasn't strong enough to prevent escape velocity under accidental knockery...

(Usual question: If any of you find an unexpected antenna in Kitspace around your baggingmodelling area please send it home.

Tell it Bill really does love it and any idea I was neglecting it was a momentary aberration.)

I do not want to have to try for its perfection again, the angle it sits below the fuselage is going to be hell to remake on another one.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Not even beginning to like this...

16309424330496991069663280414111.jpg

No not the horizontal stab, the white lifeline cables for all round my hat the kite's fuselage presumably for potential ditching purposes.

It is to my eternal sorrow that I chose Foxtrot Mike when I found some nice pictures of the British Airways colour scheme, later realising she was the only carrier of the scheme with attached lifelines in pictorial picturing.

:(

Now it isn't the fact that I need lifelines, I can fettle detail all day every day, but that it has to be white lines for the tight lines.

My ever so thin white nylon isn't.

White

16309426268824454536123190147826.jpg

Oh no, it's invisible!

Shucks

Gosh

And lawks!

Can anyone recommend a true white very thin 'non-cotton twisted' thread for this application before I do away with them and pretend it all never happened, "not me guv and I wasn't even there on that night honest..."

• Like 4

You could always say it's modelled at a point in time before said lines were attached.

Assuming there was such a time.

But who will ever know if there wasn't?

Ian

Nice save on the tail wheel!

• Like 2

Looking at this link from wikimedia (I posted the link and the photo appears, so assuming copyright ok), I'm thinking you don't need it very fine at all. How about some white painted fuse wire or similar?

British_Airways_Helicopters_S-61_G-ATFM.

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

White stretched sprue?  If you’ve any white sprue that is….

14 hours ago, Brandy said:

You could always say it's modelled at a point in time before said lines were attached.

It stands to reason (on an overwhelming balance of probabilities if you want to get legal about it) that she would have flown without them lines from time to time.  So it’s really only the ingrained modellers masochistic tendency that’s driving you to recreate them Bill :rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, hendie said:

Bill, whenever I have to use thread I soak it in water first then run PVA glue along it to help minimize the stragglers, and it also helps put a set into the thread when dry.  Worth a trial run maybe?

Trying it as we speak Alan
P1010008.jpg

Watery (why does it do  that? Anyone?) Cockpit Glue 560 running down the weighted cotton thread.

I think I will need to drill the holes out wider for the anchor ropes...
  • Like 5