Cheers Giorgio, but not busy enough yet.

The droop stops, fabled from builds by Alan and Crisp have to be appended too.

And BIMs with other bitsanbobs, henceforth here referred to as greeblies need adding.

I went back to Guru Ex-FAAWAFU's first thread on the topic of Sea Kings which have given nicely detailed 1/48th scale representations of said droopies. (ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly)

P1010225.jpg

Hmm again? (Dont try to get decent pictures off your screen unless using the proper equipment kidz)

Anyway this is the basic idea in big scale, shall I use these in 1/72ths?

P1010219.jpg

Or this a bit overscale?  Let's see.

These look like the right size compared to the rotor blade roots on the kit (Airfix Old Sea King)

P1010228.jpg

More blurs to the post today than usual, sorry.

I think the 'tripod-about-to-be' strip is overscale, any thoughts please?

P1010227.jpg

More to do yet huh?

• Like 9

You fellows are indeed right and so I have decided to go back a couple of years to a familiar friend of Alan's and replicate this set up with five not three droopers.

15695695280147513009491190509810.jpg

As far as I can tell the Whirlwind's droop stops are little different to the ones underneath Sea King rotor blades.

Certainly the job's a good 'un for Government work.

This will be the way forward methinks.

• Like 8

Is it I wonder?

P1010230.jpg

'scuse legs'n'andle.

As Crisp was at pains to point out, we are looking at G-42.

The droopstops.

P1010232.jpg

This seems an OK approach to five of the same or similar...

P1010233.jpg

Now to work out whether the indicating, bright yellow or dayglo bits stand still or pivot, I want to put them in this time around.

• Like 6

The dayglo bits that have been over-exercising my brain have been executed by Crisp, back in  the day.

The bits on this photo that are white plastic.

1-F405823-3365-431-B-8-CCC-307-A21-CA8-A

But not white plastic bottle caps.

They appear to be the actual STOPS from the title, apparently when the rotor stops centripetal/fugalling as it slows down the droopy bits fall back onto the stops so the blades can stop flapping.

This picture from the 'helicopter that forgot to fly' thread is the missing link, not easily gleaned from the plethora of vital info in that thread and has allowed me to work out how to fake it in tiny scale.

Later work will be along, later when these are prepared and have had the little dayglo dots that have been instrumental in giving me nightmares added to each end and the little support struts cobbled out of Evergreen.

Expect them to look cobbled...

• Like 7

The dayglo dots are on the end of the crossbar piece (white styrene in the photo of my upside down Sea King head).  The stops pivot about the opposite end, and the dayglo means you can see when the stop has moved

• Like 3

as Crisp states - the pivot point is on the other end cos if you dayglo'd the pivot point, you would never see any change.  The dayglo helps you see when they are in, they are in. When they are out they are out. And if most went home and one stayed out - you knew you were in for a bad day.

Check out this Sea King Rotor head and it should makes things clear

• Haha 1

Well I was thinking 'this-ish'

image.png

Wasn't even planning to make this five times in ludicrously little scale though, just pop the dayglo bit by the base of the stops on this dangerously thin rotor blade.

The basic blade roots are already almost untouchable under the gubbinses thereupon.

Permission to carry on, sir?

• Like 4

POP!

There is no way on God's earth I am going to be able to add the stops to the droops, so...

POP!
P1010235.jpg

It might have been possible to build them in first off but that was my mistake, starting assembly before replanning.

Sorry.

P1010236.jpg

Not the same picture twice...

Can you see any difference?

P1010239.jpg

:)

Me neither

I lied, but this is one of my inspiration images, Crisp's impeccable Sea King ZE419 as modelled by a master.

A final overall shot, touching up will obviously need doing.

Maybe I will find a way of dayglo-ing something under there...

P1010240.jpg

I think I will buzz off and watch some telly...  ;)
  • Like 7

Bill, of you wanted to go to all the bother - cut a small length of rod, paint the ends day-glo, and stick them in behind the droop stops and no-one would ever be able to tell the difference.  

Or, you could just leave "as is". It's perfectly (More than) acceptable as it stands now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That was the original plan Alan, I may give it a go when it all dries solid (There will be an anointing with superglue to stiffen its sinews so to speak.)

I have little lengths of rod attached to small pieces of evergreen strip as we chatter, cut to a suitable size to act like the standing rods Crisp has used.

More may develop but for now this is OK for me.

17 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I haven’t really understood a thing that’s been said on this page.  Enjoyed it tho’ :D

Thought it was just me! 🤪

Terry

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, giemme said:

That's three of us, then, guys :rofl:

Still, I keep finding that rotor head suitably busy and properly rendered, Bill  :clap:

Ciao 

Four.

But carrying on is what I do, guessing along too.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Very untrained…

Me too, but 'they' are learning us much stuff aren't 'they'?

Me?

Not maybe learning enough.

The jig rig up.

P1010243.jpg

A lot of stuff is abut to happen on here

P1010246.jpg

Droop assessment #1

P1010247.jpg

Ditto #2 alignment checking and adjustment

P1010248.jpg

And when there's paint, there will also be added, these.

P1010252.jpg

The hook looking things are considered to be able to represent the rotor head piping.

We'll see...

• Like 6

Your attention to detail is second to none, I'd have either said good enough or binned it.

Your African Queen most certainly raises the bar Bill and will be a superb addition to your collection!

Stay safe            Roger

Thank you for that Roger, attention to detail or over-niggling pickyness?

Not entirely certain but it is what I'm about.

I do really wish I could let the things just get built normally but...

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been working slowly at the rotor head down in the paint lab, I now have this

1624457227623869625908931982596.jpg

One or two of the oil tanks(?) need reseating, easily done later when the painting is all done.

And with the jaunty little beret poised near its final resting place (after painting) the Medium Sea Grey engineering bits are finished and the blades await a coat of Matt Black underneath and a coat of Light Gull Gray for the upper surface.

16244573542204694471864567866196.jpg

I'll be painting the black bits of the droop stops black (I am no colour rebel me, no Montmartre atelier for me like that of Anthony Aloysius while I get  angsty about which black) and the dayglo bits with dayglo.

And you know what I will be megachuffed when the rotorhead is said and done.

16244571317846625464706808894592.jpg

Now then, wheels for a wagon/bus...

• Like 5