12 minutes ago, perdu said:

Just a thought, as well as the Airfix Gnat I think I still have an Airfix JP4 in its starter kit guise...

Would it be terribly predictable of me to suggest that a little gnatty and/or a JP suitably perdu’d would increase the sum of human happiness?.......In which case utilitarian philosophy mandates that this is what you should do :whistle:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Would it be terribly predictable of me to suggest that a little gnatty and/or a JP suitably perdu’d would increase the sum of human happiness?.......In which case utilitarian philosophy mandates that this is what you should do :whistle:

Agreed. :) 

Ciao

I have heard that this is an interesting parts-fit

Have seen nothing yet to disabuse me of that notion

Back-in-the-box...

P1010105.jpg

This will be an 'if I am a bit bored today build.

No WIP

• Like 7

I did mention hearing about 'fit' issues on the Gnat, sadly not to be avoided so not a shake and glue job

Dammit

16206603284128176017970328018397.jpg

I was right to wonder

The upper wing will not sit down onto the fuselage unit, good job I have needle files.

16206604066937570969462010595277.jpg

For a highly technical 'looking' mould this is awful

16206605225293027997461835699088.jpg

Bring on the files...

And the clamps

16206621230454809384106871733027.jpg

As this IS the S-61N build you will note that I found these strange little triangular pieces on my tattered old Airwaves etchyset

I was looking at a downloaded .PDF off the Big H website which gave me a detailed reminder of what was on their etch sheet

Upper 'drilled' triangular webs for the undercarriage of any Sea King variant, had to didn't I?

Now I need to order another one or two, 'cause the Eduard set doesn't even try to show these and I am embarrassed because I once knew these were on the Airwaves etch set but forgot.

:(

• Like 6

13 hours ago, perdu said:

For a highly technical 'looking' mould this is awful

It seems to rely on making the cockpit floor sit as deep into its snug little locators as possible, but even then there are height issues where the wing unit sits over the back cockpit wall arch...

Proceeding carries on...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Not everything flies around at 500 mph ish

This is still flavour of the month, but some things are not nice.

P1010181.jpg

I mean how shall I make this replicate this?

34067396160_335bace124_b.jpg

I do have this

P1010183.jpg

But I don't want to even consider that because I am seriously planning for

Putting these together and

P1010184.jpg

Making another S-61N with maybe Oirish markings and a rescue innards set...

Of course if I do I can consider using these on the BA Speedbird

P1010185.jpg

The rotor head is slightly less compromised than the elderly Airfix SH-3 one..

A long time ago our mate CedB sent me some spare CD jewel cases because I moaned that I was running out of vital raw materials for scratchbuilding.

Being cautious at the time, (don'tcha know  there's a warpandemic on?) I didn't open them when they came but put them in postoffice purdah in the garage.

Tonight, looking at the raw materials for another S-61N I finally opened the package.

Ced you old cynic you, no cracks or breaks anywhere.

Thank you immensely Ced, you are a gentleman.

A very generous one it must be said too.

P1010187.jpg

Oh well a can and some inessential telly await, catch you later folks.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, perdu said:

Not everything flies around at 500 mph ish

:hmmm: In which case I propose that it can’t really be called ‘flying’.  Perhaps meandering? (PS a jag attack run back in the day was 480kts = 550mph.  500mph? - pah :whistle:).

28 minutes ago, perdu said:

I mean  how shall I make this replicate this?

OMG.  To think  I have been carried about the place in something that required such complexity to fly meander 😱

In answer to the question Bill.  I dunno.  But I look forward with a keen sense of anticipation to whatever you choose to serve us up next :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 6

I'll bite. You be got me on the edge of my seat wondering how you're going to make a fully articulated rotor head from a CD case. I know you've pulled some rabbits out of the hat before Bill, but...

• Haha 7

Hi Bill, I'm being facetious but maybe a ring of Goldilocks pan scourer for the rotorhead piping. Well from a distance it could look convincing!

Colin

• Haha 3

My crystal ball tells me that you have several miles of 5amp fuse wire and copious quantities of broken tiny drill bits in your immediate future.

Mystic Martian 👽

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, perdu said:

mean how shall I make this replicate this?

That looks very much like a Sea King folding head to me, with the big hinges and plethora of hydraulic lines for the blade fold system. Your S-61 head should be non-folding so a bit simpler. Simpler? Okay then - a bit less complex.

I haven't looked in on this thread for a while, but I see the cab is coming along nicely!

Jon

• Thanks 1

How many broken .03 drills you want M. Le Alien visitor?

This might explain my purchase, several (well a couple of..) years ago of 4 packs of fuse wire units.

I wonder where I put them...

• Haha 1

I S H !

You lot worry me some times.

However in the spirit of cooperation and adventurous venture made famous in here I did give it a bit of a go.

Ridding myself of the fear of over-complication induced by that photo of a sea board Sea King with miracle foldybits all over it I tackled my mountain of S-61N and L pictures in search of wot it is up there

Which seems to be a setup including a device which seems to have rotor vibration reducing as its prime function that sits atop the actual rotor gear.

This has a name which has escaped from a minimised realm of captivity in my head and which I think I only heard of last year so I will call it the star shaped weighted device that sits atop the rotor ge...

Well you know, its on the rotor head here I think

P1010199.jpg

A crap picture I know but hey look it up for your self huh?

There is a star shaped thing with thick weights at each end, positioned over  the rotor gear, so I needed a star shaped thing from the spares.

I know let's use this, probably never get to use it on a model...

P1010188.jpg

Snip away the unwanted bits

P1010189.jpg

No - properly

P1010190.jpg

File some flats on each of those arms and put away for later, and begin modifying the Airfixery

A snip here a slice there...

P1010192.jpg

But please be careful with the delicate, elderly Airfix plastic...

P1010194.jpg

Ahhh

Oh well, on with the mot...

P1010195.jpg

Pentagonal star shape in location prior to adding the balance weights

And now to add the pitch change devices

P1010197a.jpg

Paint and trim those when the glue has dried, we might be on a reasonable copy of a win here.

Not forgetting the rectangular balance damper weights on the star shapy-thingy.

That is me for a bit, catch you all later.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice reallocation of rotary bits Bill.  Simple but effective and adds a nice touch of visual "complexity' to the rotor head. 

I couldn't agree more! :clap:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Me?

I was that unhappy.

Nothing to do with fussball either, the little blobby bits that comprise the damper set-up just were not convincing.

They needed to protrude from below the dome section atop the rotors so I had a rethink

P1010211.jpg

These little dobbets of @John Aerostrut materials were reduced from the aerodynamic shape to this blobby section.

Unfortunately my stuporgoo was unable to 'catch' on them and in fitting the stems fell off, boo.

In service there seems to have been two variants of counterweight, the above curvy ones and some other more angular block shapes.

I decided to go for the latter carved out of nice thick plasticard in the end.

P1010212.jpg

These are busy looking and stick out nicely from the upper dome.

P1010217.jpg

This looks like being the done deal, let's have us a quick looksee?

P1010218.jpg

Yep, that'll do.

Time for another bench purrups today...

• Like 7