Cheers me dears, not entirely sure my next idea was a good one.

Because I have it and it could enhance a boring top view, Airfix didnt exactly enhance the upperworks of their old Sea King did they, I have begun adding the Airwaves photoetch.

Mostly because I am revelling in owning a jar of Gator's Grip Thin as recommended by Ex-FAAWAFU and seeking places to use it.

So, there is etch for the mesh works atop the General Electric CT58 engines and around the transmission deck area.

This means get drastic though, I will be sorry.

I will be sorry!

P1010623.jpg

You would think a study in a north facing room would allow the flash to work wouldntcha?

Sorry but I find it hard enough to wrangle pictures out of my camera into Win eversobloodyirritating 10 as it is, so it is wot we got!

Like I say sorry.

Anyway the huge (relatively) mesh section gave me the willies, if I just glue this to the engine deck it will get the glue right through and look like a sore on the top which needs picking...

So I carved a hole, then blacked the edges with a black felt tip so the didn't show up white later through the mesh.

This of course is going to leach through onto the upperworks paint job, Sod needs his tributes, but I hope the leaching will be minimal...

Anyway after chopping away two ounces of fine, fine Airfix plastic I manipulated the flat etch to be more like a mesh that sits atop a pair of curved surfaces.

P1010624.jpg

And popped it onto the hole with Gator's Grip Thin.

P1010626.jpg

At the same time I took a chance with the grid behind the engines just above  the jet effluxes and drilled out two holes to give depth and then lightly chased out the shapes to allow it to sit in the deckway.

Look.

Bill made the flash work at last.

P1010628.jpg

No I don't know why the flash makes the space below look like the yellow hi-build primer either, but suspect it may be the the colour of the edges of the brass being un-dye coated and showing up.

Not that I care, now it is in that is where it stays.

And  then after writing that poncy tosh decided to shift the main mesh sideways a little to get it lined up better over the cavity void.

P1010630.jpg

The discolouration must have been the edges of  the brass because I did this one from overhead and just get the grey interior of the hole.

Right, looks like Sunday.

Is it Sunday?

Oh well someone will know I betya.

Ciao.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CedB said:

That PE really adds to the realism Bill  - nice :) 

I totally concur! :clap:

I'm also very much looking forward to when this patchy looking plastic block will turn into a finely painted helichopper, it is always an amazing experience 👍

Ciao

• Like 1

Cheers medears I will start canopy masking today then begin 'snagging' again.

Lost count of how many times I have reached 'snagging' before having to redo from middle.

Ho ho...

• Like 5

6pYElC7A_LSD7QW9sJUkDX7XG4D0bdo3L3Rkw2PvAs Uniform

Uniform Delta

zjvlay5Y62w-0prMIphj_DptoQw_Lf2hmhBv2K-Q

Hotel Hotel

9qeeK5oc5lrJBeBxTQjJ7wnp-05CMixIW_c_nPc3

Hope you find these useful, there are a couple more if needed. If anyone is interested I also have S76's in Bond/North Scottish, B Cal & Bristows colours as well as B Cal's Bell 214. Hope I'm not hijacking your thread with these.

BHMzzxj_MkZBlFw-TIOslHnAhHvNX7j4OmxYBAEX

• Like 2

I'm astounded that you got Airwaves PE to fit But then again, you did have to cut a whole to fit it. That might explain it!

Nicely done anyway!

Ian

John I am glad you have allowed me to share these with you they are great

Definitely NO HIJACK but a welcome entry for me

I hope someone comes in and offers the S76 and Bell 214 shots a home

Tell you what post 'em here and I will open a file to suit each in my hard drive's modelling files, be happy to share them

Really

Ian it looks as if these are a really well shaped set of etches, very pleased with them

• Like 4

Absolutely my pleasure to share them Sir. My way of saying thank you and to give something back to you and the BM massive for all I've learned from you all. I'll put some more on tomorow. If that's alright?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you John, gratefully saved mate.

For anyone's info; if you are modelling one of these types in future just ask me to repost them if they will help you, I have a few zillion pictures stored in the pooter.

Access for all OK?

Now time for her majesty.

After fitting the upperworks cooling grilles I could see I had an awful lot more which might be usefully put on the model but which seem generally to vanish into the paintwork.

Now never do this at home #203021

Decide to modify a perspex part that has already been settled into the polystyrene model.

On the etch sheet there was a reasonable grille to cover the tail pylon transmission gearbox cooling mesh so I had to tackle the Perspex to open the space behind the grille.

Not a wise decision, a notably dumb thing to do.

P1010632.jpg

Oh well we do what we do don't we?

The inevitable thing happened.

P1010633.jpg

So I got on with hacking away the recess, prior to inserting a piece of silver rod for a drive shaft.

P1010642.jpg

The etch on the sheet isnt a great shape but has most of the necessary elements, it will do.

P1010636.jpg

The real  thing is a more complicated piece but this will adapt, the hole is in the right place as are the thin rails.

P1010641.jpg

The purple etch resist has has a little bath in acetone, looks better already.

Now with the bottom corner turned into a wedge shape it is more rep.resentative of the proper mesh pieces together.

P1010644.jpg

Sadly once I start this kind of daftness more needs to be done, just because so the grilles on the upper part of the pylon get a look in too.

Some GG Thin and some cyano because I can file cyano once it is set.

P1010645.jpg

And oh yes, under the tailplane.

Nearly forgot!

P1010646.jpg

Set of big decisions looms ahead, there are a fair number of etch grilles to put on around the CT58 intakes but they don't show well on photographs so...

Do I put off finishing this further?

• Like 8

6 hours ago, perdu said:

And oh yes, under the tailplane.

Nearly forgot!

P1010646.jpg

Oooops, wrong side, Bill - that one should be under the bulge on the tail rotor side, rather than the tailplane itself:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Terry1954 said:

I'm all for this sort of scheme on the Junglies myself ...........

20180706_153346 copy

First Wessex I ever laid eyes on for real was in "spinach and sand". It was love at first sight.............

Terry

Good man Terry, as an ex Junglie and having served on 845 NAS (1965/66) when we still had Sand and Spinach, I can only agree.

Colin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Oooops, wrong side, Bill - that one should be under the bulge on the tail rotor side, rather than the tailplane itself...

Bill I think we may have to turn you into a rivet counter. I would have never spotted that grilll. Nice to see your progress. Sorry I've been away for a while...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Harley John said:

A big B Cal Bell

o-WIdC0-u-kfC-kjW7Cul4k9jcsG3a-MbdLKY1Xj

v8amDz63gxF0mZIA1HDMT51jFR-dnXhpc93vFFss

gtPPk52u8jipq2IT1g06KqkdOA-qus4kGp_74rpf

5rUc4KIKKPQiC8MD5FRwPavcM0K_41Z5JeDvXZ0B

jdIfFdWc4kRsSgAh2wEXl3t_egvJjTAUhv62L20p

Last one for tonight. Back on shift tomorrow but will post some S76 naughtiness when I get a chance. Hope these are of use to somebody.

Regards

John

Wow John, looking at that 'Big Lifter, thanks for posting the images. I've a had a yearning to build one for a while. I have an old ESCI Huey which could become the guineypig!

Colin

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Oooops, wrong side, Bill - that one should be under the bulge on the tail rotor side, rather than the tailplane itself...

I kinda beg to differ Andy mate

All my very meagre references to the tail area show the grill there

vis:

P1010648.jpg

This is the much and unnecessarily reviled Airwaves set for the Sea Kings from which it is possible to make disclaiming notions because S-61N is not a Sea king as defined on the bag but I offer reference two:

P1010649.jpg

This is my other/only other reference to the tail end and was found during an internet search which may be from someone's pride and joy model

I believe this was a set of instructions for a S-61N and willingly acknowledge to whoever owns it their rights

Whichever it is it clearly discusses the grill under the tailplane

Colin as long as you are happy with what is coming out of my cack-handed efforts I am happy sir

Does this mean that the collective wants me hacking holes in the front of the engine housing for grills to be attached?

Therefore I will begin

(Andy I do still have other grills for the other side, not yet decided if it's worth bothering)

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

I kinda beg to differ Andy mate

All my very meagre references to the tail area show the grill there

(Andy I do still have other grills for the other side, not yet decided if it's worth bothering)

Added a couple of photos, apparently at the same time you were posting the above - both S-61N's, showing the grill under the TRGB bulge....

....I have the same Airwaves set, and the odd bit is spurious - the triangular grill at the front of the one you've already fitted on top of the engine bay, for example...

....as for the one in question, their instructions simply show putting it on the wrong side - can't comment on the S-61N one you've also pictured, though...

....but no grille visible under the starboard side here:

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117

All good stuff, but inconclusive, I do have pictures of the grill in the background of shots but for some reason nobody seems interested in picturing the working bits at the back

I am seeking decent references for the tail hinges and stiffeners

I am unhappy with many of the grills for the engine ends of the model and might just decide to use grill decals for them instead of excavating the thickest plastic Airfix ever put on a model in my own personal experience, to fit on mostly wrong shaped grills anyway  :(

• Like 1

I think I see the grill where posited by the destructions on this one too

37466937921-30ea5c20b4-b.jpg

But my real reason for posting it is as a statement of intent

I love this one, obviously having had a radar nose removed but not going to the wasted expense of fitting a new front window

Having hugely bulgy windows all over it, another photo shows a pair of bulges up front and another pair back down the cabin plus magnificently ungainly legs

This S-61N (whatever) needs making soon...

• Like 3