5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Again happy to get the facts but on the scale I am using Baskerville seems to work

I love this place there is so much stored information

Off to see if I can find Plantin, I failed to find any font for British airways though but as this is beginning not an end we shall see what happens next

You'll have to play around with it a bit, especially with the position of the dots above the i's. :hypnotised:

See! We got experts!

I love typefaces too, is it a notifiable disease?

Do I  need notification now I am losing huge chunks of memory?

My dad taught me to love the power of a cursive letter when I was a kid, never fades.

Looking at Plantin it seems that BA modified it to look a lot like Baskerville, so I might leave it thus for this model but Transport and Plantin are going into the font bank.

Gotta have more fonts!

• Like 2

My only claim to "font fetish" comes from a few years at high school in the printing club. Hand setting the type to print posters, programmes for school plays, etc was hours of fun. Even more so if some plonker dropped the draw and all the type had to be sorted out and put back into its individual little compartment!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

My only claim to "font fetish" comes from a few years at high school in the printing club. Hand setting the type to print posters, programmes for school plays, etc was hours of fun. Even more so if some plonker dropped the draw and all the type had to be sorted out and put back into its individual little compartment!

Ian

I began my working life as an apprentice printer and even then, type was still sometimes set by hand (I have my old typesetting tools in the attic somewhere). I remember only too well what happened when someone dropped a case of type...and the troubled time of putting it all back again if it wasn't damaged!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’m afraid I started later, around the time desktop publishing was getting into its stride. A few years ago I began to get Interested in movable typesetting, but never got beyond reading and watching videos about it.

I went freelance about 20 years ago, but the crash of 2008 killed my already struggling business. Then I managed to sort of turn the railway modelling hobby into a business. I’ve still got the design hardware and software, but I’m very out of touch with it all now.

Meanwhile, back on topic… :laugh:

• Like 3

Personally, I am happy down this little branch line of ours.

I have been know to copy a font from my old Mecanorma catalogue to use it for some project or other.

Timmas thank you, you are a gentleman and although I have now obtained Transport and Plantin your own print will find its way onto my model.

Not untypical BM assistance here, well done sir.

Salute friend, salute.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Personally, I am happy down this little branch line of ours.

I have been know to copy a font from my old Mecanorma catalogue to use it for some project or other.

Yay, I remember Mecanorma. And Letraset! Once, when I was young, I typeset a complete full page press ad with it, in paragraphs, at 2.00 in the morning as it had to be ready for the following day. 😩 Working into the night, and through it, was a regular occurence in those days and believe it or not I still look back on that time with some affection even if the pressure eventually did take its toll!

I'm happy to do the BA lettering for you. I have the graphic experience, the kit and the time, especially as we're all supposed to be 😷 locked away at the moment so it's not a problem.

Edited by Timmas
  • Thanks 1

Now then

Courtesy of Timmas's magic we have a new versio of the test print

Using Plantin he has given me the real thing to play with.

I have darkened the blue in order to get close to a match with the dark blue tops of the  aircraft's scheme

Viola!

Ecce transfer blank.

P1010600.jpg

A few size modifications to do, judging by the photo on the preceding page but not bad at all.

• Like 9

It's blowy out there today isn't it?

Fair knock yer 'at off if you was daft enough to be wearing it, anyroad because it is so dusty blow out there I have been sitting at the desk playing with glue.

And Airwaves Sea King etchy set

I dont normally like sticking etch to plastic, years of failure tends to condition me, but impressed by Ex_FAAWAFU's use of the thin Gator's Grip glue I decide to have a bash

The grilles around the rotor head (should probably by rights have been cut away first) have been attended to

File a deeper flatter flare top round the top bit (this certainly has a name I certainly can't remember it)  so the etch piece can sit flat (on a curve? ) to the surface then use a thin layer of Gator's thin, hold in place and relax...

Yes all is well, it stuck down nicely so I can look to some of the other mesh-alike pieces

I had a request in at Modelling Tools for Paul to let me know when the fresh lot of GG was in and because they had both sorts, so did I

Here is  the first Gator's Grip Thin setting round the 'thingy'

P1010602.jpg

I used the GG thick to affix the canopy (my very last Airfix one) to the fuselage front

Not an amazing fit but hey, we make models round here no?

P1010604.jpg

I am sure this will be OK on the night

P1010603.jpg

I d not think this will be as bad as it looks...

Honest...

• Like 8

9 hours ago, perdu said:

As I was working towards the BA schemes, scanning a web-wide supply of pictures of the same I picked on G-ATFM  as seen all over the place

British_Airways_Helicopters_S-61_G-ATFM.

Is that a rare pic of Midsummer Day at ABZ with a Bristows budgie in the background

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

It's blowy out there today isn't it?

Fair knock yer 'at off if you was daft enough to be wearing it, anyroad because it is so dusty blow out there I have been sitting at the desk playing with glue.

And Airwaves Sea King etchy set

I dont normally like sticking etch to plastic, years of failure tends to condition me, but impressed by Ex_FAAWAFU's use of the thin Gator's Grip glue I decide to have a bash

The grilles around the rotor head (should probably by rights have been cut away first) have been attended to

File a deeper flatter flare top round the top bit (this certainly has a name I certainly can't remember it)  so the etch piece can sit flat (on a curve? ) to the surface then use a thin layer of Gator's thin, hold in place and relax...

Yes all is well, it stuck down nicely so I can look to some of the other mesh-alike pieces

I had a request in at Modelling Tools for Paul to let me know when the fresh lot of GG was in and because they had both sorts, so did I

Here is  the first Gator's Grip Thin setting round the 'thingy'

P1010602.jpg

I used the GG thick to affix the canopy (my very last Airfix one) to the fuselage front

Not an amazing fit but hey, we make models round here no?

P1010604.jpg

I am sure this will be OK on the night

P1010603.jpg

I d not think this will be as bad as it looks...

Honest...

I have faith in you young Bill, this scheme is lovely so hurry up and get to the paint stage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

It’s very similar, but the UK road signage uses a specially designed typeface called, surprisingly, "Transport". It was created by Jock Kinnear and Margaret Calvert, who also came up with the "modern" road signs we’ve now had since the 1960s. 

I must get my head round creating my own transfers. How’s the grotty transparency problem coming on?

Fun fact - Margaret Calvert when interviewed a few years ago said the girl in the school crossing sign was her!

Trevor

• Like 2

I had a think about this canopy edge, looked at a few Sea King front end photographs and decided that instead of bunging in loads of filler that it might be possible to reframe the badly shaped Airfix clear bit with new framing.

I chased out a recess in the combined forty years worth (OK Colin, only kidding) of plastic and various fillers so I could slip in a filler panel/strip

P1010604.jpg

And so it begins 0.005" plastic card cut into a strip and out comes the Gator's Grip thin

P1010614.jpg

Tape the first bend in and move it round a bit

P1010615.jpg

Very little actual filling is likely to be needed I hope, has to be worth a try anyway

P1010618.jpg

Migod that is awfy blurry

P1010621.jpg

A tad better

P1010622.jpg

The slope seems to be perspective imposed on the camera image looks OK in the flesh

Right off to play again

• Like 9

I've just had a look through some photos I took back when I worked at Aberdeen Airport and I have a picture of Foxtrot Mike airborne. If I ever figure out how to post pictures on her I can post it if you want? It's not a great photo but nice to see the old girl in her natural element. I've also pics of a B Cal 61 - now that is a lovely scheme and a North Scottish orange 61.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harley John said:

I've just had a look through some photos I took back when I worked at Aberdeen Airport and I have a picture of Foxtrot Mike airborne. If I ever figure out how to post pictures on her I can post it if you want? It's not a great photo but nice to see the old girl in her natural element. I've also pics of a B Cal 61 - now that is a lovely scheme and a North Scottish orange 61.

Now the actual machine has been decided on any photographs of her would be very welcome John.

Likewise your others, I have another S-61N to try out using Revell parts instead so the pictures will help me to make choices.

Well that's not working as I had hoped! Trying to share from Google and it doesn't appear to want to share. What's everybody use for sharing pics? I've has a look at Mike's post and tried to follow the instructions for Google! Bah!

Edited by Harley John

It’s looking much better with the plastic frame already. Where possible, I always try to use plastic rather than filler as it gives neater results and avoids that fill sand fill loop that can go on an on....and on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1