And the bignosedradarthingmything might appear from here

P1010090.jpg

Whatever here is

:)

• Like 7

The 'ism' Terry

Looks as if somebody can't stop telling porkies

P1010091.jpg

I believe this will need to be shorter, I just cant lay my hands on real life dimensions yet to make 'the cut'

We'll get there soon

Checking for frontal position, looks fine to moi.

P1010092.jpg

Once that dollop of Blutak is moved it sits in exactly the right place

Phew

• Like 6

I'm digging through my photo archives Bill as I am sure I have a good side on view of that nose job taken a while back when our Coastguard helo was an S61N based out of Lee on Solent. If I can find it, it might help.

Terry

• Thanks 1

It's an interesting exercise, this building part two of someone's life list model game

I know it was on Colin's 'must do' list and when he read that it was on my future 'have a go' list too, bearing in mind that his list had become massive-er he asked me if I fancied picking up with it

Which I did

Being involved in one of Colin's builds was a wonderful invitation for me but it has inevitably resulted in me having to adapt to another builder's methods

A case in point was the windows and how to deal with them, that done but with us not knowing the eventual outcome I began tackling other parts which needed catching up

The S-61N as a dedicated passenger machine had some different design changes to factor in, the big radar nose for one thing and the tail rotor pylon is very different having a longer length (presumably to balance the longer passenger nose) but with a shallower angle which seems to leave both variation's tail rotors at similar heights

Colin gave me the barebones pylon to play with which was made from a piece of, I think, Perspex type plastic

This needed cutting to length and some more carving and sihrsc-ing to finish the shape

Blarryhell it is hard stuff to work but after this afternoon I think I am getting there

I have had to cut the tailrotor fairing off the original Airfix offering and superglue it onto the Perspex

Anyway

This is what it looked like at the beginning

P1010093.jpg

CAn you see what it looks like?

No OK how about

P1010097.jpg

I reckon this was a real labour of love Colin, beautifully prepared blank working to play with

P1010098.jpg

Anyway up the corners and edges needed refining, enter sihrsc, to get me closer to this shape

Acknowledgements to whomsoever owns the picture

P1010099.jpg

As you see  the leading edge is basically semicircular with a bulgey top piece with a roundish slight taper at the trailing edge

P1010102.jpg

Apologies for the stolen shots being less clear than a clear thing you can look at

I'm not very good at searching decent reference pictures

I do think they show you what I need to achieve, which I am convinced I can do (stubborn old hectoring Bill huh)

As you see the moulded rotor shaft extension sits very nicely on the Perspex with a wee dribblet of stuporgoo

P1010108.jpg

The pencil line represents the finished length of  the pylon and  I hope to use the excess to file a plug to sit inside the tail cone

I was pleased that Colin used clear Perspex because it will leave me likely to be able to make up some mesh decals to sit over the ventilation panels

The vents are very visible on some of the few photos I have

Like these

P1010105.jpg

That scheme still tempts me but I do really want to have the nose radar on  my model

• Like 8

On 5/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, Terry1954 said:

I'm digging through my photo archives Bill as I am sure I have a good side on view of that nose job taken a while back

On 5/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, perdu said:

Cheers Terry, that would be great

I'm afraid I've drawn a blank Bill. I know I took some shot years back of the Lee on Solent S-61 close up on the ground, but damned if I can dig them out. They will likely turn up when you have finished! Sorry for any false hope 😧

Nice work on the tail piece.

Terry

• Like 1

I decided to guess an average

Like this

15593732293916991376158384786060.jpg

Note to self

Keep off polished surfaces

15593732943913626041949228053884.jpg

fortunately: the shelf is varnished and the nose is dry

And has since been given its layer of Humbrol Putty so I could discover It looked ludicrous and had to be demolished

Luckily a small alteration has me adding filler again to this prior to closing the front to the middle llater today I hope

On and on and on...

• Like 7

I think this is a lot better

FEEL FREE TO CONTRADICT IF YOU WISH

P1010175.jpg

P1010176.jpg

P1010177.jpg

I am relying upon 'great-british-eyeball' type measuring here so please let me know what you think

If you like it I can take this back down into the garage and make the gaps disappear again 

• Like 8

Can't really say anything about shape, size etc 'cause I know nothing about 'copters, but one thing I can say: heck of a job! :worthy: :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Now I am in trouble

I bought the 'New Version Sea King HC4' type soon after it came in and put the it into safe store1 until I am ready to build it

I opened up the Deep Stash1 today just for a look, because soon it will be RAF chopper time and Chris Lowe has woken my Wokkaitis with his thread in larger scale

I am very concerned because when I opened the bag there is no transparency bag anywhere

I understand this may have me buying a set from Airfix (if anyone has a part number for the set) but it was when examining the transfers that a massive oooooppppsss raised its head

P1010180.jpg

Can you see what it is yet?

halfway up, underneath  ( I mean printed under them) the thin silver stripes on the right part 34 is a thin white line of printed base line

Which is completely across the set of separate stripes, but under them

Can you see the white stripes on the bottom edge? They have a printed clear varnish layer which will make each set of stripes another transfer

Now middle of the sheet, see the black panels, over the engine exhaust areas

The edges of those have a series of white backing pieces which will transfer with the kit part

Then again, the absolute piece de resistance as it were, the upper section has ghost white carrier films for a big set of stars and bars which are going to interfere with the grids and grilles printed up there           

Looks as if the sheet was printed as a test piece by a thrifty decalcomanie printer

When I tilt the sheet against light coming in through the window I can see several other areas of carrier varnish already mis printed

Will this be a collector's bonus piece which will let a scroogish collector thrive and me starve in a garret?                                                                                                                                                                      

Dear Airfix...                 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Footnotes? Where are the footnotes1

Crikey Bill, those are a mess! Perhaps Airfix will own up and send you a new set with the clear parts too? Obviously a mess up :( 

1 They should be here??? Ooh look, the software even puts a little bar in - cool! But then it vanishes when you go back and edit the text? Not cool…

• Haha 3

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

I will footnote where I wish  ;)

Or even addanasterisc but whatever, odd things happened this afternoon

Look, suddenly the floor, seats and door dinghy pack all slid inside the fuselage and were glued in place (after refitting two of the seats that fell off :( )

And the nose was glued on too, suddenly a Sea Kingly aeroplane appeared out of the gloom

P1010184.jpg

And Colin's beautifully crafted Perspex tail was readied for the taail end

P1010185.jpg

And Superglue worked its voodoo on its juju

P1010188.jpg

Bodyworks can now ensue, yippeeeee

P1010191.jpg

Yesss

I will take that, get in!

Time for fillers, Milliputs and EIHRSC and SIHRSC to earn their keep

• Like 8

An email type message on the Airfix.co.uk website has been entered into whatever system Hornby uses

Crosses for fingers now ensues...

Ced my mistake, mate but I was experimenting too without benefit of a decent English teacher since I left the Old School

We never done no punctuating into a Modern Idiom back in the early sixties and if we had I would probably have listened with a Lennon and McCartney beat

We didnt even have Word Processing back then, let alone MS Word...

In this last half century the planet wobbled and everything changed

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Will this be a collector's bonus piece which will let a scroogish collector thrive and me starve in a garret?  

Airfix certainly haven't been doing themselves any favors recently have they Bill ?    I was after buying the new 1/48 Hunter but Airfix wanted to screw me on P&P and given all the quality issues I've read over the last year or so, I won't be buying from my usual sourcebay or anywhere else - unless the box is opened and checked first.  I may just not buy one at all!

4 hours ago, perdu said:

We didnt even have Word Processing back then

we did - but it was with a piece of slate and a length of chalk.. there was a lot more processing involved. 

I can still remember in Primary 1 we were all given a tobacco tin each to keep our chalk in.  Ah, those were the days.  Chocolate cigarettes too, and Spanish Gold.

Nice out-of-the-glooming build progressing there your Billness.  A nose job, a tail job - will you be doing a tummy tuck as well?

Edited by hendie

Is anyone else suffering from throbbing images?

The pictures in this and your other thread Bill are suffering from the same problem I get in Nigel's thread - but he's using Photobucket and you're using PostImage. Hmmm.

I wonder if this is a new 'feature' of the forum software when it doesn't get a quick response from the image hosting site? If I ask the browser to open the image in a new tab the host isn't responding… frustrating.

Let's hope this isn't a symptom of the image hosting sites being taken over by new 'monetising owners' who are replacing their server farms with petting zoos :( 

I dont have to wait long, generally whilst Postimg uploads and that indicates smaller file sizes to me

Larger files take visibly longer to upload but since I stopped using the Lumix so much I rarely get big files to enter

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Upgrades, who needs 'em…

Indubitably, coupled with a natural reluctance from the higheruppers to say lets step back one flagstone in the eternal game of internet hopscotch when glitches arrive

Sorry if my pictures are causing problems, no way can I get them any smaller so if it continues I may just stop popping in so often

less pictures, could you stand just me waffling?

"(I have just removed fourteen *s and painted the rest in a marvellous chrome paint I just discovered, it looks beautiful, shame I cant show it...)"

Looks like technology just killed my interest too much

h e l p

What to do?

• Like 1