Medium A Whippet "Gofasta"

This build has been blogged over on WIP here.

This is Medium A Whippet A347 "Gofasta" from the Takom kit with various after-market parts as shown and described in the build blog.  The name is stenciled with a DN Models vinyl mask.  At least, I believe A347 was "Gofasta".  DN provide no guide to using the stencils and were unable to confirm the name-number match "as they no longer had the research material".  And you can't see the number in any photo I found. 

I chose that tank because it had the red/white engine cover and front markings I wanted.  The kit instructions suggest that "Golikell", for which they give decals, had exactly the same markings, but photos I found suggested otherwise.  And I thought a different name would be, well, different.  My avatar is a black sheep after all..........

Whippets were only really used after most of the muddy fighting had ended, in the final pursuit of the retreating German army.  So rather than lots of mud I just stuck with some dust and dry mud around the tracks.

All flavours of comment appreciated.

oqtyfT2.jpg

AU3Svzq.jpg

ZpTKCAn.jpg?1  HwhJeFv.jpg?1

• Like 27

The exhaust insulation is sewing thread wrapped round.  I replaced the moulded-on exhaust mounting U bolts with wire and bolt heads, and made sure I left enough room behind to wind thread round later - which took ages with tweezers and swearing(!).  I toyed with using ribbed tubing instead for simplicity (and laziness!), but it didn't look right.  Likewise I mused over whether to apply the thread during build and paint it later or leave it until after painting, deciding on the latter as I thought it would look better: which it does.

I have the same to do on a couple of MkIVs, and I'm wondering if the ribbed tubing idea might be resurrected.  But the insulation on the MkIV was flat wider tape rather than rope, so I'm thinking of trying strips of masking tape.

• Like 1

The Whippet itself looks really outstanding - especially the tracks. My only comment would be that some of the add-ons don't seem to quite fit. They seem a little out of place with the rest of the model for some reason. Maybe it's the blending of the weathering? Specifically the tarps on the roof, I think. The one in front of the driver, and the cans on the front look great. 👌

Yes, perhaps a flick of more dust on the other soft stowage wouldn't hurt.  They did get some but it doesn't show.  It does show on the front 2.

There are many pictures of Whippets with cans strapped or strung on the front, some across the top like this and some strung across the front.  I wanted to show the name, so went with the top.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes I'd seen that photo.  Post-war of course but I believe Gofasta carried that livery in wartime.  Someone in the linked thread reckons Gofasta was A230.  I couldn't find a nunber for it and when I eliminated the other numbers in the DN Models decal set that belonged to other names, A347 was the one left.  So I may have goofed there.  Too late to do anything about it now.  It would have been helpful of DN to provide drawings, or at least a list of names and numbers, not just a decal sheet.

I thought I'd seen Golikell in wartime in a different livery without the red/white engine covers.  Perhaps the ones in Ireland were standardised on the same scheme.  But I liked the name Gofasta.  I suppose mine could be in Ireland, but it's a bit over-stowed for that and I don't imagine they went trundling across the countryside getting muddy.

Edited by Das Abteilung
bad spelling!
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...