Try before you buy?

Antb

Evening chaps and chapettes 

I'm finally at the stage of seriously starting the hunt for an airbrush and looking for some pointers as to where I can have a look and a play before I take the plunge. 

I know there are loads of places online I can buy them from but where can I get to grips with one to make sure I'm happy with it, so I know it feels right for me. I don't want to spend good money on an airbrush and compressor if it's not right for me. 

I know this is a rather broad question so my apologies for it being so but honestly any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers in advance 

For simplicity of stripping without the need for tools, and interchangeability of most parts between the different models I can highly recommend a Harder & Steenbeck. I’m using the entry level Ultra and it’s very well engineered despite its relatively modest price, but that’s no surprise really as it’s made in Germany. 👍

• Like 2

Being new to airbrushing I have just bought my first airbrush a couple of weeks ago.And purchased a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity.I’m finding it a dream to strip and clean and fantastic to use.It was a bit more than I wanted to spend.But I haven’t regretted it.

• Like 1

Im using an Iwata HP-BCS and its pretty easy to clean. 5 parts total that come off of or out of the A/B. Whatever you choose remember that if you go cheap. You may have to buy another sooner rather than later ? For the simple fact of either its no good or breaks easily ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I'm not aware of any retailer that offers a try before you buy service but I can see it being a positive service for someone to offer. If you're dropping hundreds of pounds on machinery you want it to be right first time. I'd certainly be interested.

For me, cost was the main factor, because I knew I wouldn't be using it every time I sat down to paint. 

I got a cheap Chinese compressor and bottom-feed airbrush set from the 'Bay, on the grounds that if it didn't work out I wouldn't have lost an awful lot of money - the whole lot was about fifty quid. And no, I didn't get on with the bottom-fed (because it used too much paint per job) but I bought a cheap top-feed brush and it does what I want it to. I taught myself to use it, I'm no artist but I can lay down a coat pretty well and I make lots of notes and practice a lot.

Bottom line is, if you can afford to pay more then do so, because the build quality is better - the seals are more durable, the chrome is thicker, the nozzles are more robust. They're easier to maintain. But the parts can be more expensive.

Edited by Chrissy_J
  • Like 1

Hi chaps 

Thanks ever so much for the advice and pointers I really am grateful. 

My intention isn't to start cheap as ive learnt that cheap always ends up costing more in the long run. I want to buy something that I can learn to use that will last and will grow with my modelling skills as I progress. 

SWMBO wouldn't too chuffed if I happened to upgrade after a few months 🤣

@Rob G thanks for tagging Paul in. I had emailed him to see whether he would be at a fair in December for me to pop along but he hasn't replied as yet. I've heard Paul does demos. I had hoped to make Telford but it wasn't to be. 

Anyway thanks again guys. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:22 AM, Rob G said:

Calling Paul @little-cars

Come in Paul, are you receiving, over.

Hang about a bit kids, help will arrive shortly.

Antb , Sorry just seen this message, have been busy since Telford !  We have a try before you buy at all the shows we attend.  Not all airbrushes at the moment, but have the H&S Range and  a sparmax trigger brush for people to try.   Next Show is Hamex 1st December  in Hanslope, about 2 hours / 95 miles south of Chesterfield.  It's a small show but I'll have all the airbrushes with me.  Ta, Paul

• Like 2

I think the piece of good advice that annoys me no end is “you’ve got to try before you buy, it’s a very personal thing, what is right for one might not be right for another”.

Annoying because there is no doubting that it is excellent advice until you look at trying to do it and realise that it is damn near impossible.  In fact in most cases when you reply to the well wisher and say “any advice how I do that” you never hear from them again.

I’ve seen it said about airbrushes, about camera lenses and most recently about first person view goggles - what you wear to fly mini quadcopters.

Okay, you may be lucky to get to a club and say “oi mate, can I have ago” but if your only option is retailers then you are out of luck.

I most recently heard it said about airbrushes when I googled about my Iwata Eclipse.  You see I chose it after hearing so many recommendations and when I first got it, not being any the wiser I thought it was great.  Now I realise that it is pretty uncomfortable for me to hold and operate.  Maybe down to my hand size and finger length but when I hold it my finger doesn’t sit naturally on the trigger and the geometry of my finger movement doesn’t allow me to pull the trigger right back without shifting my grip.  I can use it but it is not very comfortable.

Cheers, 

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread and apologies if this is a bit late.

It might be worth going on an airbrushing course.  I did this a few years ago, not taken the plunge to get a "proper" airbrush, but a very useful exercise doing the course and understanding more about airbrushing.  You could try some different airbrushes on the course.

https://airbrushes.com/index.php?osCsid=vpbq51sfcek2eg8c9t564dgsc3&cPath=195_199

On 12/23/2018 at 6:01 PM, Anthony Kesterton said:

Just noticed this thread and apologies if this is a bit late.

It might be worth going on an airbrushing course.  I did this a few years ago, not taken the plunge to get a "proper" airbrush, but a very useful exercise doing the course and understanding more about airbrushing.  You could try some different airbrushes on the course.

https://airbrushes.com/index.php?osCsid=vpbq51sfcek2eg8c9t564dgsc3&cPath=195_199

Merry Christmas everyone.

I’ve actually been on this course, it’s handy as it is down the road from me.  I’ve also been on a weathering course in Leicester.

The problem with both of these (and I imagine others) is that the hosts are tied to a particular brand.  So airbrushes.com ( the airbrush company) are the UK distributers for Iwata so guess what brushes you get to use on the course.  They do roll out the complete range though so you do get to try lots (including the Neos) and offer a discount for the attendees - so this is great for comparing £100 vs £300 brushes, traditional vs trigger - but they are all Iwata (or Neo).

The one in Leicester was Badger based, but from memory everyone had the same airbrush - in fact airbrushing wasn’t the main part of the course, most of it was hairy sticks.

I think they run courses at Element Games which are H&S based.  Primarily in Manchester but they do a few others around the country.  Aimed at miniature painting I think.

I doubt you will find a course that will let you compare brands.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Edited by nheather

5 hours ago, nheather said:

Merry Christmas everyone.

I’ve actually been on this course, it’s handy as it is down the road from me.  I’ve also been on a weathering course in Leicester.

The problem with both of these (and I imagine others) is that the hosts are tied to a particular brand.  So airbrushes.com ( the airbrush company) are the UK distributers for Iwata so guess what brushes you get to use on the course.  They do roll out the complete range though so you do get to try lots (including the Neos) and offer a discount for the attendees - so this is great for comparing £100 vs £300 brushes, traditional vs trigger - but they are all Iwata (or Neo).

The one in Leicester was Badger based, but from memory everyone had the same airbrush - in fact airbrushing wasn’t the main part of the course, most of it was hairy sticks.

I think they run courses at Element Games which are H&S based.  Primarily in Manchester but they do a few others around the country.  Aimed at miniature painting I think.

I doubt you will find a course that will let you compare brands.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Good point Nigel - you are quite right that the airbrushes where all Iwata.

Merry Christmas.

anthony

I would say that if you were to buy either an Iwata or an H&S you won't be disappointed. However, what I would say is that what you intend to run through it is as big an influence over how an airbrush feels as the brush itself. 

Unfortunately companies put on training days to try  and get you hooked on the brushes they sell, that's the way the world works. 

We have a try before you buy at shows on  H&S and some sparmax brushes.

Mainly because any tool like an airbrush has to feel right in the hand. If you can't comfortably operate the brush, it's time to try  a different one.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

sorry i I haven't been around on the thread for a while, things are a bit strained. 

Anyway, I'd just like to thank you all for taking the time to reply and for the advice and comments. I didn't make the December show but I'm hopeful that I can make the one in a couple of weeks time to have a look and feel of some brushes. 

Thanks again