F7f3 tigercat propeller and engine

neil5208

Afternoon all

Dors anyone know what type of propeller was fitted to the tigercat? Just starting my contrail vacform kit and found one of the white metal propeller blades is short. Also the engines supplied aren't to good either so would like a resin upgrade for the wasp radials.

Any advice would be welcome

Ultracast do the Hamilton Standard prop you're after.

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult48159.htm

In the UK, Sovereign Hobbies stock Ultracast.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

As far as engines go, Aires, CMK and Eduard do versions of the R-2800.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4265

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4224

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4205

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Those Ultracast propellers were needed for the AMT kit as they got the blades backwards. The AMT kit also had (plastic eating) rubber wheels, so resin wheels are also readily available.

• Like 1

Vedran is correct- all versions of the Tigercat were fitted with R-2800 C-series engines; the crankcase housing was cylindrical, not rounded in shape, and had many bolts around the mounting flange;  in addition the two magnetos were the "can" type, not tapered or oval. I have attached a couple of links that show these features. I don't think any of the Aries R-2800's that Jason posted are C-series engines, but I do know there are good resin examples of that type- just be sure that the ones you select have the correct magneto or offer a choice of magneto types, which some aftermarket examples include. Depending upon which version or individual Tigercat you plan to model, be aware that the prop tips were frequently clipped to prevent "pecking" during carrier operations, (Very few of these, as they never served actively on carriers.) or while taxying over rough strips, as there wasn't much ground clearance for them when fully loaded with fuel and ordnance- especially with the Marines in Korea. It's a beautiful and very high-performing airplane- good luck on your project!

Mike

http://classicwarbirds.net/wp-content/gallery/n207f/n207fb.jpg

http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/pr-2800.htm

Scroll down to see a photo of F7F number '26' it has the clipped props.

http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/07/06/flightdeck-friday-f7f-tigercat

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

also note the first plane behind has tipped back on it's tail...when not loaded up this could happen..

I've seen a pic of one with the tail propped up with a 50 gallon oil drum...

Yes, I've seen that picture as well. 

37 minutes ago, Finn said:

Here is one with both types of props:

a8fb750cc5d753d2_large

Jari

The aircraft in the back round looks like the wings are a different colour than the fueslage? Anyone seen this before

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

The aircraft in the back round looks like the wings are a different colour than the fueslage? Anyone seen this before

I think they are tarpaulins, note the parts hanging down over the wing and tailplane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sonoran said:

Both types of props?  Those props are absolutely identical.  You can’t put mismatched props on a twin engined airplane.

I was puzzled at first, look closely, the prop on the left has had the tips clipped off square.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I was puzzled at first, look closely, the prop on the left has had the tips clipped off square.

Could it be the stbd prop has extreme tips in a different colour (red ?), making them all but invisible against the background ?

6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Does the Marauder have the later engines?

No, it does not- the early series without water/alcohol injection. I can look up the type/s fitted to them if you need the info, as well as what the magnetos looked like.

Mike

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Depending upon which version or individual Tigercat you plan to model, be aware that the prop tips were frequently clipped to prevent "pecking" during carrier operations, (Very few of these, as they never served actively on carriers.) or while taxying over rough strips, as there wasn't much ground clearance for them when fully loaded with fuel and ordnance- especially with the Marines in Korea. It's a beautiful and very high-performing airplane- good luck on your project!

24 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Could it be the stbd prop has extreme tips in a different colour (red ?), making them all but invisible against the background ?

Clipped tips are more likely explanation.

29 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

I've blown up the image and it doesn't look to be red-tipped, but square-tipped.

Chris

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

No, it does not- the early series without water/alcohol injection. I can look up the type/s fitted to them if you need the info, as well as what the magnetos looked like.

Mike

Shame, Hannants have got a pair of Marauder R2800 for less than a tenner

On 13/11/2018 at 14:09, neil5208 said:

Afternoon all

Dors anyone know what type of propeller was fitted to the tigercat? Just starting my contrail vacform kit and found one of the white metal propeller blades is short. Also the engines supplied aren't to good either so would like a resin upgrade for the wasp radials.

Any advice would be welcome

As an aside, I looked up what scale the Contrail kit is, 1/48.

Basically, unless you like a challenge,  and want  a 1/48 th Tigercat, just get a AMT or the Italeri reissue, which is easier to find and will have useable decals,  even with its glitches, it's going to be a lot easier to make a decent model,. As the image I found was typical Contrail, 

s-l1600.jpg

And the Italeri rebox can be got for under £20 if you look, while you are looking at resin engines, the kit ones are Ok,  

If you enjoy the challenge, great, but I suspect it will end coating more in cash, certainly in time and effort than just starting with. A better kit.

Finally, IIRC the Tigercat prop was used on the Hellcat and Corsair, can't remember the full details, @Tailspin Turtle would most likely know.

HTH

T

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

Shame, Hannants have got a pair of Marauder R2800 for less than a tenner

neil,

The Marauder used the P&W R-2800-39 or -43 engine. I have attached a link to a photo of a -43 so you can see the crankcase and magnetos. Just look for a resin engine that has the same mags or offers a choice of mag type, as some aftermarket engines do.

Mike

http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/MightyEighth/P&WR-2800-43.jpg

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, Troy Smith said:

I've seen a pic of one with the tail propped up with a 50 gallon oil drum...

That's why the AMT kit comes with an ammunition box on top of an oil drum: standard tail-lifting gear for the Tigercat.

If you get an Italeri boxing you should find plastic tyres added to one of the runners, to replace the vinyl jobs in the original AMT version.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

As an aside, I looked up what scale the Contrail kit is, 1/48.

Basically, unless you like a challenge,  and want  a 1/48 th Tigercat, just get a AMT or the Italeri reissue, which is easier to find and will have useable decals,  even with its glitches, it's going to be a lot easier to make a decent model,. As the image I found was typical Contrail, 

s-l1600.jpg

And the Italeri rebox can be got for under £20 if you look, while you are looking at resin engines, the kit ones are Ok,  

If you enjoy the challenge, great, but I suspect it will end coating more in cash, certainly in time and effort than just starting with. A better kit.

Finally, IIRC the Tigercat prop was used on the Hellcat and Corsair, can't remember the full details, @Tailspin Turtle would most likely know.

HTH

T

Challenge has already been started! I would prefer to get one of the 1/72 versions but they just aren't avalible in the uk and the wife is watching the stash so I not allowed to by new ones, upgrades for kits I already have is a different matter. This is the first vac form kit for  so more a learning experience, if the body turns out ok then I can do more on the engine nacelles

• Like 1

A simple trick to using the vinyl tires in the AMT kit is to give the wheels a coat of Future after they have been painted, before installing the tires, that is what I did on my F7F kit and they are still holding up many years later.

Edited by silverkite211
  • Like 2