Nakajima Ki 43_I Hayabusa (Oscar) 1/48

Greg Law

As I have run out of time to do justice to Gloria I have decided to do the Oscar instead. This will be a faster build and at the same time give me a bit more experience before I do Gloria on the main forum. This plane operated in Burma so should fit in here. If it doesn't that is ok as I will build it anyway and just finish up my Zero and call it a day here. 

Rich could you let me know if it fits.

Oscar1

Oscar2

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 3

That's good. I have already started the cockpit. This should be a quick build compared to the Zero. Painting is just green and grey. I will only do the markings with decals and the cockpit will be straight out of the box. The opening is so small you won't see much anyway. I really like the engine front on this one hopefully I can get the copper looking right. That won't be easy.

hi Greg, welcome along with another build, if the kit scheme is for Burma then it'll be fine. We can always trust the manufacturers to get this right. :D

It's nice to see a few more Japanese aircraft in the build.

Good luck with this one and look forward to seeing her in the gallery as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich

This is a fuzzy shot of the cockpit. I have painted this one. It does look better in reality. I used a new way of doing it by painting the panel black then dry brushing the raised features and then painting the black between the instruments again. This seemed to work for me.

I must have has a steady hand that day. 

Oscar cockpit1

• Like 3

Nice start Gteg. I’ve always wanted to take a closer look at this kit so will watch on and see how you get on with it. Nice work on the cockpit so far. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

On 19/11/2018 at 10:15, the South African said:

This looks like something that I can easily sink my teeth into will visit regularly!

Regards:

Shaun

Yes, it is a very nice Kit and I would say a quick build. I will be putting a some more progress photos soon. I've got a few days of real work to do before I can get back to it and the Zero. 

• Like 1

This is my Oscar progress.  This is a really nice model. At the moment the fuselage isn't glued. The wings are. 

I now have the copper paint for the radiator. 

Tell me. What airbrush cleaners should use for Mr Surfacer paint. I have some now and plan to undercoat this plane with it.

Oscar3

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 3

Struck my first problem with the kit, the elevators are not a good fit. They use two prongs that are too big to fit into the holes so have to be trimmed. I ended up dropping the plane and broke the prongs off one side and had to use brass inserts to get the part on. I think it would have been better to have made the holes bigger.

• Sad 2

The plane is Ok. I just need a add a little filler when if I had done it correctly I wouldn't have.  It is an issue to look out for on the kit. 

I went mad today and bought a 1/48 Betty, Zero A6M5 and a Tamiya 61092 Mitsubishi Ki-46 III Type 100 Command Recon Plane

That completes my Japanese collection. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, Greg Law said:

What airbrush clearer should I use for Mr Surfacer paint.

Should this read airbrush ‘thinner’ Greg? If so, I swear by Mr. Color Leveling thinner. Actually I use this for virtually all my paint thinning. Can’t seem to find it locally at the moment, seems like the distributor has gone a little quiet.

Works a real treat on their Mr. Surfacer range of products. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave

I could have got that from my local hobby shop a few weeks ago, but last time I was in they had sold out. Seems it will be January before they can get some more. The "Mr"paints have trouble keeping up the supply. Will Tamiya airbrush cleaner do it. I think it is laquare based..

Edited by Greg Law

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Will Tamiya airbrush cleaner do it. I think it is laquare based

No, that will clean your AB fairly well but Tamiya also sells a ‘Lacquer Thinner’ in a similar container. This comes in  a creamy yellow screw cap bottle top and IMO should still do the job. I’d honestly avioid any commercial grade Lacquer thinners sold in hardware stores for paint thinning, however I do use this type for general after spray clean-up. 

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

No, that will clean your AB fairly well but Tamiya also sells a ‘Lacquer Thinner’ in a similar container. This comes in  a creamy yellow screw cap bottle top and IMO should still do the job. I’d honestly avioid any commercial grade Lacquer thinners sold in hardware stores for paint thinning, however I do use this type for general after spray clean-up. 

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will get some next week. 

you're making nice progress.

I use to use Mr Hobby Levelling solution and thought it was great until one day I found it have turned all my Clear Coats yellow (they're more orange now!!), I like to pre-mix/thin my paints. It also explains why I was getting changes in tint with a lot of my light colours!

I've now swapped over to using Tamiya's Lacquer thinners, this stuff is awesome!!! The pint thins a flows some much better, and the finish is perfect. It works happily with Mr Hobby acrylics as well, I haven't tested it with anything else yet. I don't know about normal Lacquer thinners, I'd do some testing before applying any paint thinned with it on a model....it may work or it may need to be diluted with something???

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the tip @trickyrich. I’m struggling to find Mr Color Leveling thinner locally or even via Aussie mail order at the moment and do need to find a quick replacement. I just might try Tamiya’s version as you’ve just mentioned. Now I’ve been using the standard Tamiya Clears X-22, X-35, XF-86 for a while now however always use their Acrylic XF-20A thinner with them and not the Gunze stuff. Your yellow, orange clear experience mixing these two companies products would be anyone’s worst nightmare to wake up too! Hopefully that’s a thing of the past and won’t haunt you or anyone again. 

Cheers.. Dave 

39 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Dave, have you tried Mr Toys at Springwood for Mr Levelling Thinner? That's where I bought mine (albeit between Christmas and New Year last year...).

I normally order from BNA and have asked Paul at ‘The last stand gaming’ store (who doubles as the Corinda Post Office). He said the local distributor has gone awfully quiet of late and is not sure when his next batch will arrive. I could try Springwood, the young lad needs some driving hours so that might work out either way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Gosh I would have thought Hobbyrama at Stafford would have had what you're after, but on checking their website, no Gunze products (not counting Gundam paint sticks!!!) at all and and they don't stock the Lacquer thinners.

I do see they have some from Testors, that should work, I'd do some test.

Here in Auckland the local hobby shop say they will be getting a supply in January. 

There is away of getting them from Singapore  It is called RCJAZ You might find an RCJAZ.au, but it is in fact the Singapore company from what I have seen.

I get my paint from them when it is hard to find. 

Edited by Greg Law

I’m sure Paul is willing to help anyone. He doubles as a post office so you’ll get the best postage prices available. Might be best to buy in bulk (as always) - https://thelaststand.com.au/collections/gunze-paint-accessories

Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back my Dornier is in the cabinet so I'm free to finish the Oscar. I've been sanding the filling on Oscar today. I bought a new Airbrush so I can use Mr surfacer as a primer. So I'm ready to go on that. You might see something in a couple of days. 

Just letting you know I doult I will get this done in time. I keep distracting myself on to old projects and dreams of new ones. However, this has it's place on the list of projects to finish so will get done soon. I just don't feel like the pressure now it is getting warmer here. It is so much easier to work in winter and as my painting is done in the garage and the mossies have arrived which means the paint sessions need to be short as possible. I'm terribly allergic to mossies bits. I had to give up fishing because I would end up in pain for three days. Last time I tried fishing I covered myself head to toe and with a face net as well yet they still got me. I gave up after that. This was on the Gold Coast in Australia.

So that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

I enjoyed doing the Zero here. Thanks to everyone for your support it was a big help along the way.

• Sad 2