Scratchbuilt 1/72 Bellanca 28/92 trimotor racer

A model from 6 years ago.

The Bellanca 28/92 is indeed an example of how unusual a particular product of a fairly traditional designer family can be. If you consider the other, more known Bellanca types, you would have never guessed this plane descends from the same ADN strand.  The only other Bellanca type that trumps the 28/92 in rarity is the very peculiar Bellanca TES Tandem, which I really hope I’ll be able to build one day too. The 28/92 has many similarities with the preceding, more conventional 28/90 racer design.
This glamorous trimotor started life as the result of a request for a long-distance flight plane. It was supposed to be flown by Alex Papana, who in 1937 clumsily managed to break it, have a tantrum, and leave the plane unpaid. The plane was entered in the 1938 Bendix piloted by Frank Cordova, but had to abandon. It then placed second in the 1939 Bendix at the hands of Art Bussy. The plane eventually found an obscure end being shipped to Latin America, where it was lost, after being bought by a military representative. What a sad end for such beautiful machine.
I have seen models of this plane that have the colored areas on the nose and nacelles painted in red, black, blue and other colors. That seems not to be the case. So far I have found written evidence of it being aluminum overall with the mentioned colored areas in matt green. I would have really liked red or blue instead.
The flowing lines and the three engines make this plane very appealing, with a stance similar to those racers flown by the heroes of the comics.

01.jpg

02.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

103.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

60.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

67.jpg

70.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

78.jpg

97.jpg

99.jpg

• Like 26

Another belter.  Your talent for building is matched only by your talent of finding unusual subjects

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

the other, more known Bellanca types

.  And when I saw that I thought, "Yeah, I've got all their records, even the greatest hits album..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now that's just stunning. What a gorgeous looking aeroplane. 

Your skills seem to have no bounds as all of your scratch built creations show. 

Your recent models have shown a wonderfully colourful display of strange, yet beautiful aeroplanes. 

• Thanks 1

Another nice model.

The original seems very short coupled but it does have a big rudder. If the critical engine failed during take off it would have been very exciting very quickly. The combination of the drag from the failed engine and the yaw of the other two might ruin the pilot's day.

Obviously it never happened to the original. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, noelh said:

If the critical engine failed during take off it would have been very exciting very quickly. The combination of the drag from the failed engine and the yaw of the other two might ruin the pilot's day

The box on the left doesn't say but with a remark like that you can ONLY be English!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

The box on the left doesn't say but with a remark like that you can ONLY be English!

Nah, Irish but definitely you don't have to go back far to find English ancestors.  Hawkins is not an Irish name. That's not my name BTW😁

• Like 1

Another type that I have never heard of! It looks just like a ‘What-If’ model: take a spare DH88 fuselage, add some different tail surfaces, then find some bigger engines including one grafted onto the nose. Simple!

• Haha 1