Second Curtiss Robin record plane , scratchbuilt, 1/72nd scale

This is a second Curtiss Robin record holder model, built 3 years ago, that now is at the Greater St Louis Air & Space Museum.

This Robin as mentioned before was especially converted for the task at hand, and many differences from the stock Robin can be observed. To start with the catwalks and their additional supports in the nose area which allowed the crew to exit the plane and service the engine in flight; the rearranging of windows and doors; the elements associated with the massive fuselage fuel tank; the necessary changes in the fuselage top to facilitate the refueling operation; and finally some minor other details seen in photos.

Jack Abercrombie, curator of the museum, provided invaluable material and input throughout the various faces of the building process to achieve an accurate as possible replica.

Scratchbuilding less known types often requires that a large amount of time be dedicated to research, before any building is done.
But research can be as fun as modeling itself. When you do team research, or pool the resources of many people to create a more accurate model, it is just bliss. And as a bonus you learn a lot and you make new friends in the process.

I was contacted by Jack Abercrombie, curator of the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum, to build a model of the Curtiss Robin St. Louis 1, holder of the endurance record in 1929.

Jack has seen the model I made on February 2012 for my friend and aviation scholar David Smith of the same plane (that was featured in the April 2012 issue of Skyways Magazine), and wanted to produce a replica for the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum

http://airandspacemuseum.org/

This time, unlike the first model I made 6 years ago, I commissioned professional decals from Arctic Decals.

I seldom repeat a model, but this time it was worth it.

92.jpg

91.jpg

93.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

99.jpg

99aa.jpg

99b.jpg

99c.jpg

99e.jpg

99f.jpg

99h.jpg