Vultee Vengeance Cutaway Drawing & Plans

Rabbit Leader

I have recently (and probably stupidly) spent some money on a Frog 1/72 Vultee Vengeance and even though I knew what I was expecting am now not sure if I should just count my losses and look to buy a Special Hobby kit?

Now I am prepared to take to this with the heaviest of modelling tools, however would like some good reference material first, before I start hacking away. Therefore I am asking it anyone has any 1/72 scale plans or cutaway drawings of this virtually neglected type that would be useful to carry out an 'improvement' conversion. I'd also be keen to hear from anyone who has 'bettered' this kit and what they thought are its major limitations. I have a vac canopy to replace the horrid looking one that Frog provide, however beside that I'm not exactly sure where to start. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave  

Dave,

I'm not aware of any really good references that would have good/accurate drawings- I seem to recall an older monograph by AJ Press, but I might be mistaken. I have a very good modeling buddy who has been battling with the Frog kit off and on for a few years, and I could call him up and ask what the big issues were; he also has the new Special Hobby kit, and said it was much better, but he already had so much time and work  put in on the Frog kit, that he was going to stay with it. IIRC, he mentioned issues with the fuselage cross section from the bomb bay forward, the cowling and prop, as well as the sweepback of the wings; I also recall him saying something about the location or shape of the wheel bays, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. He made a master to make a better vacform canopy. I will let you know  what he says.  I do have one very good photo collection on the Vengeance, both USAAF and RAAF, that I have posted a link to below- it's the best one I have found; hope it's useful. My  buddy pretty much has taught me what little I know about building and finishing 1/72 scale models over the 40+ years we have been friends, and I value and respect his ability in correcting errors so small I never even notice...what is it about dentists and  fastidious model-making! Good luck! It's a very aggressive-looking beast and well-liked from what I have read by its RAAF crews, especially after the issues with engine gaskets and rings was resolved. I have walkarounds and detail photos I could send you- if you want,  give me your email address and I will gladly send you what I have.

Mike

http://m.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?335.0#post_6196

Edited by 72modeler
added text for clarity
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the great reply and link Mike, lots of good stuff within that lot. I've just sent you a PM with my personal details as requested. Look forward to hearing back whenever you get the chance. 

Cheers and kindest regards.. Dave 

For the sake of completeness, Rabbit Leader, Aviation News has (had?) plans in the 15-28 June 1984, (I know ,I know), by Chris Bowley. I,too, have both the Frog and the Special Hobby. Many, many years ago I was puzzled by the fuselage cross section. Neither kit looks like the photos (too squarish). I have wondered if it's a difference between the A-31 and the A-35 variants.

• Thanks 2

The main problem with both (otherwise decent) Czech kits is that they use the same fuselage for the A-31 (Mk.I/II/III) and A-35 (Mk.IV) whereas the main difference between them should be the wing angle of incidence (0 degrees in A-31 and 4 degrees in A-35).

The difference is easily visible on the real aircraft (in the A-35 leading edge is located 10cm higher on the fuselage and the trailing edge is 10cm lower) and especially on the "in flight" pictures - the A-31 flies "nose-up" (as the angle of attack is greater that angle of incidence) while the A-35 keeps fuselage horizontally (4 degrees angle of attack is just enough).

IIRC the AZ 1:48 fuselage portrays the "horizontal" A-31 wing fairing while the SH 1:72 features the "angled" A-35 one.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 2

Thanks for all your comments and links, fellas. Every bit of information is very useful and will help me decide whichever way I go.

I might try to track down those Aviation News plans as there must be something right about them somewhere. Either way, its probably better than what I've got at the moment which is not much.

The Vengeance has always been a favourite of mine and (like the Beaufort) really deserves to have been treated better in model form - Airfix 2019 anyone?

Cheers.. Dave.

If you put Vultee Vengeance into the amazon search bar you get two books, both by Peter C Smith. I have the older one but with my books divided between Norfolk and Cornwall I don't know when (if) it will come to hand. From memory there's not a lot of interior stuff in it though.

15 hours ago, rossm said:

If you put Vultee Vengeance into the amazon search bar you get two books, both by Peter C Smith. I have the older one but with my books divided between Norfolk and Cornwall I don't know when (if) it will come to hand. From memory there's not a lot of interior stuff in it though.

Hi Ross,

I think you'll find the newer book by Peter Smith is still on pre order and won't be released until Feb 2019. I have the 1st book and it's a very good history of the Vengeance though I don't think it has any detailed plans.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael louey said:

Hi Ross,

I think you'll find the newer book by Peter Smith is still on pre order and won't be released until Feb 2019. I have the 1st book and it's a very good history of the Vengeance though I don't think it has any detailed plans.

Cheers

Michael

No, it doesn't- It's a very good presentation of the history, development, and use by the RAAF, but it's really not a modeling reference; you're right- no scale drawings and few photos- it's a great and well-researched read, though! Hope his new book will have new material and photos- maybe of the Queensland Museum's Vengeance!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text for clarity
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

There used to be a decent interior set done by the late Peter Russell (no relation) 

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/vengeancecockpitreviewbg_1.htm

I have tried to track down the masters but no luck.

Hi Ed,

I remember Peter doing a large set of accessories for the Vengeance. It must have been a favourite of his - The link here shows his other improvement sets - cowl/engine and wheel wells. I heard he was going the whole hog and planned to do a complete fuselage replacement but never got around to it.

https://www.scalemates.com/companies/company.php?id=3840

These days, it would probably be easier to find a Special Hobby kit though it isn't perfect itself.