Primers

Bryan71

You'll likely get a lot of different recommendations to the point you'll be no further forward, but here's my thoughts.

I'd imagine that based on reviews and general ease of use you'd be best trying Stynylrez (also available packaged as Ultimate primer) as this for most people can be sprayed neat through an airbrush and can be sanded without peeling after it's dried. Also, it's available in several colours which can be handy.

Some other alternatives you'll come across will likely include Alcad's primer and decanting Halfords grey rattle can primer for airbrush use. Vallejo do a primer too, but seems to have proven problematic for many users as it has often been reported that it peels off when attempting sand it. Another fairly popular choice is using the jars of Mr Hobby Mr Surfacer 1200 or 1500 as a lot of people speak highly of their quality through the airbrush - although I think unlike Stynlrez, they do require thinning with Mr Hobby's thinners.

My final suggestion is that simply spraying a couple of light coats of Tamiya acrylic paint has been done effectively. I recall seeing videos of Phil Flory doing that in the past.

I hope something there is of help to you.

I always use good old Humbrol enamel as a primer. Usually light grey.....It works for me, and as they say, "if it works....."

Vallejo primer...????? run for your life.....I've never used a WORST primer.

I use to build resin kits, so sometimes you have to cope with lots of tiny bubbles here and there....then, using Mr. Surfacer 1200/1500 works fine....but I use actone to thin it, it won't attack the resin. Always remember to polish it with very fine grade wet sandpaper...!!!

Cheers....

To add a bit of a different view, my inherent laziness leads me to regularly use rattle can primers.  The trusty Citadel/Games Workshop/Warhammer Chaos Black is good and sprays well with a fine finish.  It's also quite tough and resilient to handling.  I tried other brands of black including Vallejo but none were as good.  It also provides a degree of pre-shading in the nooks and crannies if that's your style.

However, I've latterly moved to using brown primer as this better represent the base metal colour for chipping and scuffing and the inevitable handling wear from fingers.  It also provides a degree of less extreme pre-shading.  No-one does quite the right colour to represent either darker face-hardened or lighter rolled homogeneous armour, and I have suggested to several manufacturers - including Ultimate - that they might like to consider such a product.  But no-one has produced anything.  Ultimate said that it wasn't a priority.  I'm currently using the Army Painter Leather Brown, which I find most appropriate after trying a few different brands and colours.

If you like using Washable Agent in your paint and making real chips and scuffs rather than painting them on afterwards, the brown primer is a real boon.