B-58 Fuselage length

dalea

I have heard that the Italeri  B/TB 58s have severely short fuselages due to an initial misunderstanding about whether the fuselage probe was included in the overall length or not. Regardless of the reason, is this so? Plans of the B-58 not to hand.

Yes.  I did the math on this back in the early 1990s.  I don’t have it at hand currently, but the Italeri kit is compressed by the length of the pitot boom.  Will anyone ever really be able to see it in your model?  Not likely, since it’s proportional all the way down the fuselage, but it *is* considerably too short.

It’s 2018 and FAR past time for a new state of the art 1/72 B-58.

• Like 1

Yes. Italeri took the officially specified overall length to include the nose boom when in fact it is from the tip of the radome to the tip of the tail. I'm told Italeri used the drawings which appeared in Aviation News as the basis for the kit, and these drawings are in error. Here's an accurate official drawing:

27408133689_8aa394c27b_b.jpg

A late cousin of mine was one of the engineers on the B-58, and I lived in Fort Worth about the time the prototype made its first flight. It's been an all-time favorite of mine ever since.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 11/12/2018 at 3:29 AM, dalea said:

I have heard that the Italeri  B/TB 58s have severely short fuselages due to an initial misunderstanding about whether the fuselage probe was included in the overall length or not. Regardless of the reason, is this so? Plans of the B-58 not to hand.

I've seen a few photos from a Japanese modeling magazine, where a modeler corrected the model with inserts all over the model. Maybe they float around on the internet? I did not find them in a quick search.

Rob

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I've seen a few photos from a Japanese modeling magazine, where a modeler corrected the model with inserts all over the model. Maybe they float around on the internet? I did not find them in a quick search.

Rob

I have a copy of that Japanese modelling article, but it's not high resolution. Nevertheless, I'll try to post them here before the evening is over.

I checked my files and reminded myself that I had created a PDF of the article in question. So rather than post individual page images here, I'll email a copy of the article to anyone interested. Just contact me at: mcmurtreyjames[at]twc[dot]com.

The article is entirely in Japanese, but there's sufficient info in the photos to enable you to see what is necessary to correct the kit. Possibly someone fluent in Japanese could translate the text for us?

I may not be able to immediately reply, as the wife and I are moving from an apartment to a new house, and that is taking more time than I would like. It's also hard on my 72-year-old bones and muscles!

13 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Found it! On page 2 of this old Hyperscale thread:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/1-72-b-58-errors-t201945.html

It's two pages only, the original article is probably longer.

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob de Bie said:

Found it! On page 2 of this old Hyperscale thread:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/1-72-b-58-errors-t201945.html

It's two pages only, the original article is probably longer.

Rob

The original article is seven pages,

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

How about the old Lindberg & Revell box-scale kits?

Are their dimensions correct. I have them in my stash, to build one day.

I will do one in the "Secret" SIOP camouflage. :devil: 

Larry

I believe they are correct, as they predate the inaccurate Aviation news drawings.

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, Space Ranger said:

I checked my files and reminded myself that I had created a PDF of the article in question. So rather than post individual page images here, I'll email a copy of the article to anyone interested. Just contact me at: mcmurtreyjames[at]twc[dot]com.

The article is entirely in Japanese, but there's sufficient info in the photos to enable you to see what is necessary to correct the kit. Possibly someone fluent in Japanese could translate the text for us?

I may not be able to immediately reply, as the wife and I are moving from an apartment to a new house, and that is taking more time than I would like. It's also hard on my 72-year-old bones and muscles!

I just sent you an email about the article.