Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Looks like the Engineer's going to lose his feet at some point:

They're nice feet. Perhaps you could remove a thin wedge of plastic from behind each knee and bend/glue the lower legs back so Eng. has his feet firmly on the floor?

• Like 2

Don't know where all this criticism (of mine) is coming from Ced - I haven't done any serious plastic tickling in an age and haven't completed a realistic crew figure in my life. Please take is as well-meant and feel free to completely ignore the following:

1. The cockpit door looks unrealistically low.
  2. How about connecting the seats to the moulded shoulder harnesses with a bit of Tamiya tape? (So that when they get to "Harnesses and Hatches" in the check list the chaps will feel reassured.)
  3. Doesn't Eng get a headset? I'm worried he won't hear what's going on and will start playing with the fuel/electrical/hyd systems at the wrong time.
  4. Airfix don't seem to have given Eng. any controls to play with or indicators to watch. This unfairness warrants the deployment of a modeller-licenced remedy.

Like I said, ignore at will. I'm enjoying following along just as it is.

Kirk

• Like 3

I have to agree with Kirk on the door height.  I'm 6'4" (or was before gravity took it's toll) and I could walk through the flight deck door without too much difficulty.  Just a little  🦆  and I was in (or out)

• Thanks 1

Oh the embarrassment...page 6 and I finally fall from the sky into this riveting build, sorry Ced, I can offer no feeble excuses😔.

As for the build, great choice for a great aeroplane and will be watching from now on as I too have this kit (who hasn't) and will be filling my notebook to the brim with the flood of useful info that is sure to come..

Nice work on the crew, how much of them will be seen as I am struggling with my inner demon at the moment regarding crew figures sitting inside a deep and dark cockpit...is it worth it, is it not?   Demon winning at the moment I'm afraid.

Also, a pleasure to see yourself and the crowd at Telford, many of whom are lurking inside this very thread.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 4:58 AM, CedB said:

45809789202_920d8319d2_z.jpg

… which, with this:

nimrod_mr2_fairford_25_of_65.jpg

(thanks to Howard Mason on the Prime Portal MR2 walk around

THANK YOU!!!  You are the FIRST person other than myself who I have ever heard of who has noticed the major gaffe on the intakes.  And unfortunately, the AlleyCat engine set looks just as bad as the kit.  The intake lips are sharp instead of blunt, and the intakes themselves are probably 15-20% too large in area.

This and the windscreen issues have put me off building this kit, as badly as I would love to have a Nimrod in my collection.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sonoran said:

This and the windscreen issues have put me off building this kit, as badly as I would love to have a Nimrod in my collection.

Do not let those issues put you off Sonoran, the first issue may be sorted by some careful sanding, the second may not be so pronounced once you have done the first step so build the model to your best ability and it will look great and if you keep watching this thread then another solution may miraculously appear as if by magic .

• Like 2

Even allowing for some of the kit's inaccuracies, the finished model OOB still looks very much the part and is an awesome addition to anyone's collection. Even with my notoriously anal attention to detail, I won't be trying to correct everything on my kits.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/11/2018 at 11:28, Matt_ said:

Quite a few of my family are RAF, but I don't recall them being in to spray tanning as much as these chaps. Was this something particular to Nimrod crews?

Great work on the cans. :thumbsup:

Thanks Matt - spray tan? No, I brushed… oh, I see what you mean! Citadel 'Ratskin Flesh' it is and probably looks better in the, er, flesh.

On 23/11/2018 at 12:23, Andwil said:

I can’t look at that cockpit with crew without thinking of “Flying High” with the auto pilot deployed. 😆

AW

Hmmm, interesting, and how long have you had this particular feeling AW? Lie down  on the couch… :D 

On 23/11/2018 at 13:10, HAMP man said:

Oh come on chaps! no-one ever heard of white noise!

I have to agree about north Wales, I once befriended a Blodwyn up there and she took all my money.

This one seems to attract the 'rivets in the wrong place there, Sonny Jim' comments. 

As far as I understand it, this will be strung up to a surface slightly above FFL, so if it looks Kay then it is.

I have to say that painting the carpet is a bit like buying a leather suite and then not taking off the plastic wrapping though, nevertheless an enjoyable ride Ced

Box On

Strickers

Thanks Stickers :) It's 'a classic' so I'm prepared for lots of assistance. Hopefully I'll get it close enough to pass muster.

On 23/11/2018 at 14:42, giemme said:

Nice office, Ced :clap: Although I'm not quite clear on the hairstyle color of some of the chaps .... 😄

Ciao

:rofl2: RAF standard colours Giorgio! 

On 23/11/2018 at 15:41, keefr22 said:

Fnaar....!!

Indeed! Pleased to see I have a deputy Finbarr in the wings :D 

On 23/11/2018 at 15:57, Steve Coombs said:

They're nice feet. Perhaps you could remove a thin wedge of plastic from behind each knee and bend/glue the lower legs back so Eng. has his feet firmly on the floor?

Er, maybe, not. Thanks Steve, he'll not be seen once the fuselage is closed up :) 

On 23/11/2018 at 16:47, Kirk said:

Don't know where all this criticism (of mine) is coming from Ced - I haven't done any serious plastic tickling in an age and haven't completed a realistic crew figure in my life. Please take is as well-meant and feel free to completely ignore the following:

1. The cockpit door looks unrealistically low.
  2. How about connecting the seats to the moulded shoulder harnesses with a bit of Tamiya tape? (So that when they get to "Harnesses and Hatches" in the check list the chaps will feel reassured.)
  3. Doesn't Eng get a headset? I'm worried he won't hear what's going on and will start playing with the fuel/electrical/hyd systems at the wrong time.
  4. Airfix don't seem to have given Eng. any controls to play with or indicators to watch. This unfairness warrants the deployment of a modeller-licenced remedy.

Like I said, ignore at will. I'm enjoying following along just as it is.

Kirk

On 23/11/2018 at 18:04, hendie said:

I have to agree with Kirk on the door height.  I'm 6'4" (or was before gravity took it's toll) and I could walk through the flight deck door without too much difficulty.  Just a little  🦆  and I was in (or out)

Thanks Kirk and hendie :) 

could spend LOTS of time on the internals (like, where's the radar?) BUT no-one will see it when she's on the ceiling.

I'll fix the door height though, just for you guys.

On 23/11/2018 at 18:41, Pete in Lincs said:

Can you hear me now?

(Phoenix Nights)

Fnaar, Chortle.

(Well no one else spotted it)

Thanks Pete :D 

On 23/11/2018 at 18:55, Head in the clouds. said:

Oh the embarrassment...page 6 and I finally fall from the sky into this riveting build, sorry Ced, I can offer no feeble excuses😔.

As for the build, great choice for a great aeroplane and will be watching from now on as I too have this kit (who hasn't) and will be filling my notebook to the brim with the flood of useful info that is sure to come..

Nice work on the crew, how much of them will be seen as I am struggling with my inner demon at the moment regarding crew figures sitting inside a deep and dark cockpit...is it worth it, is it not?   Demon winning at the moment I'm afraid.

Also, a pleasure to see yourself and the crowd at Telford, many of whom are lurking inside this very thread.

Nice to see you too Gary :) I quite enjoy doing the internals despite the fact they won't be seen again. Only quite enjoy though…

On 23/11/2018 at 21:17, keefr22 said:

Excuse me? See post #126

I thank you.... :tease:

On 23/11/2018 at 21:22, perdu said:

He did, I noticed

:)

… and me :D 

On 23/11/2018 at 23:46, jrlx said:

God job on the crew and cockpit, Ced! Carry on!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :) 

On 24/11/2018 at 00:23, Timmas said:

I knew I'd seen that pilot before...it's Heinz of The Tornados. Anyone else remembers "Telstar"?

[snip photo]

Telstar? What the single? Daaaa, da da, da da da da da daaaaaa… That one? :) 

On 24/11/2018 at 03:00, Sonoran said:

THANK YOU!!!  You are the FIRST person other than myself who I have ever heard of who has noticed the major gaffe on the intakes.  And unfortunately, the AlleyCat engine set looks just as bad as the kit.  The intake lips are sharp instead of blunt, and the intakes themselves are probably 15-20% too large in area.

Oooh Sonoran, there's lots of people with lists I assure you. I'll try to summarise later, adding to Pete's list (linked above) :) 

22 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Do not let those issues put you off Sonoran, the first issue may be sorted by some careful sanding, the second may not be so pronounced once you have done the first step so build the model to your best ability and it will look great and if you keep watching this thread then another solution may miraculously appear as if by magic .

Fingers crossed Gary, fingers crossed! :) 

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Even allowing for some of the kit's inaccuracies, the finished model OOB still looks very much the part and is an awesome addition to anyone's collection. Even with my notoriously anal attention to detail, I won't be trying to correct everything on my kits.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) I may meet you half way on that…

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It looks from that pic as though the engines, and more so, the landing light, are trying to migrate from the fuselage too!

Ian

know! Goodness knows what reference Airfix used. Oh, Comet, right :) 

Some mojo this evening. Busy weekend though seeing old friends and visiting his son's 'new' farm. Look what he bought from eBay:

45306434844_3240cc6562_z.jpg

Flickr

I guess there had been wine. I've posted a 'What's this' in the purchases thread but only had one bite - a Tornado "Hindenberg tank". Still not sure how it works though. Any ideas?

Mojo boost allowed me to get out the PPP but sadly, it's not so Perfect any more. I always try to put the cap back on quickly and avoid sucking air into the tube, but it's gone hard:

45135786805_bd748d020a_z.jpg

I managed to get enough out to fill the ejector marks on 'things that need painting inside':

44231786270_3526860da8_z.jpg

I now also have thumb muscles to be proud of…

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Still not sure how it works though. Any ideas?

It's a drop tank Ced - you fill it with fuel to increase your jet's range and/or endurance but hopefully don't need to drop it! But in extremis, say prior to entering combat it can be jettisoned off its pylon, but you'd always want to bring it home if possible. Not least so that when you've scrapped all the jets that carried them, you can sell them on e-bay....!! The 'Hindenbergers' were a Tornado F3 fit, but were often 'borrowed' by the GR1/4 squadrons as they were bigger than the mud movers tanks.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I always try to put the cap back on quickly and avoid sucking air into the tube, but it's gone hard:

I believe that was a known problem, as Deluxe changed the tube material to metal which is meant to be more resistant to allowing the stuff to dry up. Of course they did that just after I bought a new plastic tube full...!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

avoid sucking air into the tube, but it's gone hard:

:think:

😳 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I now also have thumb muscles to be proud of…

:blink2:

:frantic:

* faints * 

Maybe all this double entendre was brought on after spending the afternoon with your friend's large weapon?.

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

Maybe all this double entendre was brought on after spending the afternoon with your friend's large weapon?.

No

That's just SOP Ced

Takes time...

;)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Busy weekend though seeing old friends and visiting his son's 'new' farm. Look what he bought from eBay:

45306434844_3240cc6562_z.jpg

Flickr

I guess there had been wine.

Yes, I guess a barrel or two?  Or five barrels of Warsteiner instead of that for sure?  Well maybe I should  buy a Sea skua, Harpoon or Harm  for my cellar or garden and you could come visiting me for removing these fancy little things out of it. Coffee or tea for free of course!:lalala:

• Haha 1