Jump to content

Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix


CedB

Recommended Posts

Thanks Brock :) 

 

Close inspection shows lots of tiny micro-bubbles in the resin:

 

46123830714_b50641ff50_z.jpg

on Flickr

 

Worried that the wash would highlight them, I used Bill's tip and wiped PPP over the surface with a wet cotton bud.

That done I started trimming and cutting the hangers. There's a step on the bottom of each one that makes them sit proud of the ledge on the main bay:

 

46125115314_ca03329f34_z.jpg

 

Are they supposed to sit proud? Who knows… not me for sure and the reference photos don't show them that well. They're angled metal too rather than solid blocks. Ho hum, stick 'em in.

Dry fitted to the bay, I then tried two washes, Citadel Seraphim Sepia and Nulm Oil:

 

45936770515_468a4f229e_z.jpg

 

I'll see what they're like when they dry.

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Very white inside the bay, isn't it? I used the prime portal reference shots.

 

Obviously cleaned up for public consumption Ced.  Inside the bomb bay was always greasy, sticky, and oily, particularly around the mixing chamber (black thing in the middle). That oil (was it OF4?) got absolutely everywhere and working around that mixing chamber was even worse as the oils and grease seemed to react with the surface making it extra icky.  MEK was about the only thing that would get it off your skin at the end of the day. That and a good rub with scotchbrite

I think the cross pieces are supposed to be mounted clear of the pressure hull, but I'm sure an ex liney will be along shortly to confirm that

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good work Ced, I think you are nearly there with the bay. My kit will very definitely be having a date with Evergreen rather than resin, more so since Vit has shown us what can be achieved. This thread is proving very educational for those of us that have this particular kit and I think we owe you our thanks for sticking with it when man might have long since consigned it to the bin.

 

Martian 👽

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This thread is proving very educational for those of us that have this particular kit

 

And those of us who used to have two of the things and are now very grateful we no longer do....!! :)

 

Keith

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Martian - I think scratch is probably the way to go (sorry Alleycat) :) 

Keith you may have saved yourself - see how you feel when she's finished! :) 

 

 

Bay dirtied:

 

31917605517_8d74c9ed74_z.jpg

 

I couldn't think of any reason not to glue the wings on, so I started with the bits where it touched from and back:

 

39894597193_641249798b_z.jpg

 

You can probably see where the sides don't fit - I'll work my way down those, checking the wing roots. Carefully.

 

Back here:

@stever219 commented:

"Also aircraft pre-wingtip ESM pod fit lacked the vortex generators on the outer wing panels so they can come off.i. In their place however you will need to install a long shallow fence just inboard of the outer end of the aileron, and running for most of the chord of the wing ahead of the aileron."

Steve I can chop off the VGs but do you have any pictures/details of 'the fence' please? Ta.

 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks John - good advice! :D

Thanks Giorgio - means a lot coming from one of my weathering gurus :) 

 

The hunt for the fence. Can't see it here:

 

 

 

Nice video though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More careful glueing.

The front of the bay is aligned and glued now with some thinned Humbrol filler in the small gap:

 

46135004914_8381bc4831_z.jpg

 

I learned from the Humbrol site that you can thin the filler with Liquid poly and this is my first try. Looks good so far.

By the way, I have been checking the wing root join and it looks OK so far (famous last words…)

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: the sticky UV glue, would a thin layer of gloss varnish help? I found I had a similar problem using Hammerite silver spray paint on my Meteor build where it was still sticky to touch two days later. A quick blast with a gloss varnish solved that problem.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CedB said:

some thinned Humbrol filler in the small gap:

 

 

One thing I've found thinning Squadron green putty with liquid poly Ced is that it takes longer to dry than when it's unthinned - it can also seem to be fully dry but it actually has just formed a 'crust' on the outside. 

 

I don't use humbrol filler so don't know if it's the same....

 

K

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Martian - I think scratch is probably the way to go (sorry Alleycat) :) 

Keith you may have saved yourself - see how you feel when she's finished! :) 

 

 

Bay dirtied:

 

31917605517_8d74c9ed74_z.jpg

 

I couldn't think of any reason not to glue the wings on, so I started with the bits where it touched from and back:

 

39894597193_641249798b_z.jpg

 

You can probably see where the sides don't fit - I'll work my way down those, checking the wing roots. Carefully.

 

Back here:

@stever219 commented:

"Also aircraft pre-wingtip ESM pod fit lacked the vortex generators on the outer wing panels so they can come off.i. In their place however you will need to install a long shallow fence just inboard of the outer end of the aileron, and running for most of the chord of the wing ahead of the aileron."

Steve I can chop off the VGs but do you have any pictures/details of 'the fence' please? Ta.

 

Ced, you can see most of the fence/antenna at about 1 minute 50 in your video; sorry I haven’t had a chance to look further yet this evening being chief cook and pot-washer here in Cardboard Close.  I’ll try to find some more references shortly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Interesting tip about thinning the filler, duly filed away in my Martian brain.

 

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian - worked well for me :) 

21 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Re: the sticky UV glue, would a thin layer of gloss varnish help? I found I had a similar problem using Hammerite silver spray paint on my Meteor build where it was still sticky to touch two days later. A quick blast with a gloss varnish solved that problem.

Thanks Charlie - I'll (try to) remember that for next time - which may be soon if I'm not happy with the lights later. :) 

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That's all starting to look like a Nimrod! Nice tip about the filler too - I will be giving that a go.

 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - try it, worked well for me :) 

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

One thing I've found thinning Squadron green putty with liquid poly Ced is that it takes longer to dry than when it's unthinned - it can also seem to be fully dry but it actually has just formed a 'crust' on the outside. 

 

I don't use humbrol filler so don't know if it's the same....

 

K

Not for me Keith - nicely dry this morning :) 

16 hours ago, Massimo said:

I think you could dare a little more dirt...may be something ....blackish...

Anyway it looks impressive!!!!

And with the wing on she start looking the real thing!!!

Well done!!!:clap:

Thanks Massimo :) 

14 hours ago, stever219 said:

Ced, you can see most of the fence/antenna at about 1 minute 50 in your video; sorry I haven’t had a chance to look further yet this evening being chief cook and pot-washer here in Cardboard Close.  I’ll try to find some more references shortly.

Thanks Steve and I hope the chores went well :) Still can't see the fence (sorry) so more help would be appreciated - I'm being dense... the VGs are off though (see below)

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ced , looks very fine to me, altough I'm not a specialist on the  Nimrod at all, I have to admit.  Like it so far!

Thanks Ben :) 

 

 

Vortex generators gone:

 

46869659631_d0c8f7b59a_n.jpg 39904914233_dec1f96781_n.jpg

on Flickr

 

I thought I'd use the closed doors to mask the bay but:

 

32994795228_313ef4566b.jpg 46145282114_7149927323.jpg

 

Oh dear. Looks like the resin has pushed the lower fuselage out. Rats. Won't be noticeable once the doors are on (hopefully). I'll need to mask with tape then (groan).

 

The thinned Humbrol filler worked well:

 

46818452912_79dffb2630_z.jpg

 

Can you see the join? No? Good:

 

8dd81bc3a3ae02c2585e9f46b450d879.jpg

 

Now then, I can see another problem - the resin is below the fuselage on this side. Hmmm. I'm not sure what happened there are the resin roof locates in the resin bulkhead and that can't be crooked (I don't think). That made me go back and look at this earlier photo:

 

46546581232_e35a196210_z.jpg

 

Looks a bit wobbly eh? Too late now and I think it'll be OK when the doors are on. That's two things I'm hoping will be covered up. Fingers crossed.

 

Finally, I girded my loins and tested the resin windscreen 'hot water' treatment on the bit of thin resin left on the block. Worked fine and my worries about it 'melting' were unfounded. That's let me go from this:

 

46870099541_6135c746b4_z.jpg

 

… to, currently, this:

 

39905607163_ebc43930e5_z.jpg

 

Much better as the tape's just holding it rather than squeezing, but I think I'll have another go at that back right edge (in the photo) once my courage returns. It does look a bit straight and I think I can get it just right. Gulp.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will be fine Ced and don't forget you still have the original kit canopy if everything does go to rat poo. Although th Alley Cat canopy is more accurate, the model will still look every inch a Nimrod if you do have to use the Airfix item. In fact, having seen the hassle the rein canopy has given you, I may well accept the inaccuracy of the Airfix part on mine in return for an easier and more enjoyable build.

 

Supportive of Mars 👽

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Well done on the windscreen, Buffers!

Well done indeed! A mix of bravery and patience, I reckon :clap: And good job with the seams too! :clap:

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...