Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I feel bad Ced. This will teach me to suggest AM stuff that I haven't physically seen/handled myself. 😧

Jamie please don't feel bad - others had recommended the Alleycat stuff too and I'm sure I'll master it. Ahem. :) 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Looking better?

Yes looking better for clearance Ced, but why do you widen it,  when the thing could fit better without it on the left side. Because of the instruction? I'm not sure.  ( Are you more German, than I ever could be?) . So, I would do the bombay first,  till you can get the fuselage  closed, then the canopy at last ( you have to sand the left side anyway as Nikolay Polyakov suggested).

Btw: your bench look much tidier, after sticking it temporarily together. Hope you're satisfied again with it.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We (might) have a winner!

I think you will get this'n sorted forthwith now, still think a nice tidy 'plunge' is called for but you seem likely to crack it anyway

👍

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, Bill and Giorgio :) I think the clarity will improve with a coat of Aqua Gloss later.

Thanks Ben :) The canopy sits a bit proud and when pushed down the sides do overlap a bit. By about 0.02". So the instructions say to fit the spacer and it does seem to make it better.

Yesterday afternoon and this morning have been frustrating, not because of the Nimrod but because all the technology in the house seems to be conspiring against me:

• Mrs B's laptop went wonky (technical term) and PowerPoint wouldn't open anything - restarted
  • The Echo dot in the kitchen refused to talk to, or disconnect, the Bose SoundLink speaker - restarted
  • The network link plugs between the ground and first floor stopped working - restarted
  • The coffee machine told be it needed 'ventilating' - restarted
  • My laptop hadn't updated overnight and, you guessed it, needed restarting - restarted 

Well, if it works for all those things, why not try it on the Nimrod eh?

Wiggle wiggle, gently press and now we're here:

46712321491_78f369f299_n.jpg 45987796164_4ac9174d77_n.jpg

on Flickr

The kit part seems to be a bit too long and the resin bulkhead a bit misshaped so I think I'll try shaving a bit off the front of the fuselage bottom and then fit the resin. Later.

While pondering other stuff, does anyone know when the glazing reinforcement plates were fitted? The Alleycat masks help represent these BUT I can't see them on any of the MR1 photos.

• Like 12

those reinforcing plates (to my scant and limited knowledge) were added during the design phase from Comet to Nimrod. They've been in Nimrods since day 1 - just easier to see when they started painting them hemp

• Thanks 2

Keep marching forward Ced B, you are doing a grand job on what seems to be a pig of a kit, not the impression you get when looking at the contents of the box for the first time.

Sorry but cannot help with the strengthening patches around the glazing,

As someone whom is working on this kit maybe you could help me; I have this itch to convert a Airfix MR2 to a MRA4 prototype, I am aware of some of the major differences. Should I book myself in for a phycological examination now or after the event?:fool::wall: 

• Haha 3

Blimey Ced it sounds as though Stephen King has paid a visit to your gaff. Good work on the canopy. Keep up the good work ... demonic and maniacal possessions of machinery permitting of course...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Interesting point Ced as at least one of mine will be an MR1. Good to see you persevering with this.

Martian 👽

22 hours ago, hendie said:

those reinforcing plates (to my scant and limited knowledge) were added during the design phase from Comet to Nimrod. They've been in Nimrods since day 1 - just easier to see when they started painting them hemp

Thanks Martian and hendie :) 

I take your point Alan and I've had another look for photos. The first two here seem to show them, sort of. To be honest I only need to apply some masks from the Alleycat set so I'll put them on.

5 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Keep marching forward Ced B, you are doing a grand job on what seems to be a pig of a kit, not the impression you get when looking at the contents of the box for the first time.

Sorry but cannot help with the strengthening patches around the glazing,

As someone whom is working on this kit maybe you could help me; I have this itch to convert a Airfix MR2 to a MRA4 prototype, I am aware of some of the major differences. Should I book myself in for a phycological examination now or after the event?:fool::wall: 

Thanks Gary :) To be fair to Airfix the kit is fine and pretty well detailed if you ignore the failings. It's just when you try to correct the errors with limited skills that the trouble starts!

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Blimey Ced it sounds as though Stephen King has paid a visit to your gaff. Good work on the canopy. Keep up the good work ... demonic and maniacal possessions of machinery permitting of course...

Thanks Tomo :) Things are behaving themselves at the moment, fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

If your Silhouette cutter starts printing out masks that spell out "We are all dead" it's probably time to move out to a hotel...

Nice work on wrestling the bomb bay.

Regards,

Adrian

:rofl2:

Get on with it Ced!

Front bulkhead problem attacked. Despite having sanded the resin to the same shape as the kit part it still causes problems:

46671993402_de25de439d_n.jpg 46000230104_2cb3b2cb5d_n.jpg

on Flickr

I trimmed some plastic off the front of the kit lower part (which didn't fit even when the resin was removed) and then filed some more off the resin. The weapons bay sides are very wobbly at the front and will need some care when glueing, but I'm happy with the fit now:

46672164522_73321f80d9_z.jpg

Now I just need to work out how to fit the bay roof.

I was honoured to receive a kind PM from the BMer who designed the original resin moulds and they're not all warped so just my luck. Still no response from Alec but I'll see how the hot water works before getting too stroppy. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, CedB said:

but I'll see how the hot water works before

Hello Ced Nice bombbay now. For the the clear part. I would fill it with fimo or so for a negative  copy first . Then filling the warped edge,  how it should be. If you warm the canopy up  then,  you  can press the negative corrected one slowly into the positive clear part, till it fits. Hopefully, but just my way of thinking. Cheers

Edit: Correcting my english as usual!

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

The short answer is yes, the longer answer is absolutely.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Thinking ahead a bit Ced, ( well perhaps quite a bit ) do you have plans for final finish ?

When I worked at Heathrow, BA had the contract to repainted all the Nimrods and they usually arrived in a terrible state probably the worst I had ever seen ( possibly with the exception of a Greek A-7D at Greenham one year which looked like it had been rescued from the fire dump ) and left about a week later looking pristine. Unfortunately I never had a camera with me when one came li..

Keep on sanding.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ben and Martian :) 

John the final plan is to model her as XV262 of 206 Sqn RAF Kinloss, winners of the Fincastle Trophy in 1974 - the white and grey finish :) 

More fighting this afternoon but making progress I think.

Fitting the resin is a puzzle as there's a lug on the front part that fits into the front bulkhead and I can't see how this can be done if the part is glued into the lower plastic part.

I think therefore (I am) that the resin needs to be dry fitted and the lower fuselage lowered onto it and then glued in.

This means all the bits need to fit first, of course, and be correctly located.

SO, the front section was dry fitted and the central bulkhead positioned to support this and its position marked:

46674953012_aa96dbcc18_n.jpg 46675233752_7c1da48d2a_n.jpg

on Flickr

With that done, the rear section doesn't slide in as the rear bulkhead is too tall so it got chopped:

31786279037_f2a9f2ed43_n.jpg 39762903023_3b96555d20_n.jpg

With all that dry fitted and marked, I think I can now join up the fuselage. Better check that all the bits are there:

46003411074_5a01a111de_z.jpg

Getting a feeling now that I'm over that obstacle and that, hopefully, it's all downhill from now on :D 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Getting a feeling now that I'm over that obstacle and that, hopefully, it's all downhill from now on :D 

I'm inclined to agree, Ced :clap:

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I think therefore (I am) 

:rofl: I didn't catch this at the first read...

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Close up!

Of course I remembered (as recommended above) to check all the bits were in. Ah, the nose light. I moved it, remember? Now it doesn't fit due to the locating shelves inside. Rats.

Chopped them out, cut down the light surround a bit and voila:

46684149362_904cd4e6a2_z.jpg

on Flickr

Once the Gator's Grip had dried I chopped out the other side and reshaped the hole a bit. It'll need sanding flush later.

Then we were ready for the BIG job.

Make sure the central bulkhead would support the bay roof and glue one side in with CA:

46737988621_75d19e99f7_z.jpg

Balance the resin on the supports and test fit the lower section:

39772857183_74536c44ce_n.jpg 45822459265_05c54279f1_n.jpg

Looks fine.

Out with the Touch-N-Flow and moving around the seam, remove a piece of tape (to stop the glue flowing under it and onto the surface; see, I do learn), apply the glue, squeeze the seam and replace the tape. Make sure the wobbly fuselage is flush across the seam. Repeat.

Done!

31797001657_413980aa0e_z.jpg

Nice fit, it has to be said. I'll let that dry and have a lie down…

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Of course I remembered (as recommended above) to check all the bits were in. Ah, the nose light. I moved it, remember? Now it doesn't fit due to the locating shelves inside. Rats.

That was the reason why Airfix put the light where they did. :rofl:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Famous last words if ever I saw them! That said however, she is starting to repay your persistance. 

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Thanks Guys :) 

I've put some filler where there are gaps and started the seam sanding.

I may be gone some time.

Actually, I will be gone for the next two days - visiting my Sister tomorrow and going to Brooklands with a mate on Wednesday.

More later in the week :) 

• Like 3