Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Thanks CC, Simon, Adrian, Chris, Keith, Bill, Giorgio (youngsters??!!), Martian, Jont and Iain :) 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - BMers are a great, kind and supportive lot and thanks for the encouragement.

I used it to complete the bottom stencils (fnaar) this morning, culminating in these:

47419354311_0cb38e90fc_z.jpg

Hmm, interesting. The four bands on the instructions don't match up with the bands on the plastic. "Not again" I thought, "Oh well, onwards." and applied the stencils, including #280 that goes INSIDE (oh yes) the hole in the plastic:

40453750813_347b68a930_z.jpg

Can you see it? Say you can see it. Please.

But wait, what's this? 388? That's 'out of sequence'… ah, there it is, with a load of other silver stripe thingies:

33543472958_d8e7e076c7_z.jpg

Oh. They provide decals for what I'm now calling 'Hendie's thingies on the tail boom'. Good job I found that as I had planned to do 'something like that' (q.v.) with aluminium tape.

Remember the note in the instructions that says something like 'read all the instructions first to make sure you understand the assembly'.

Pah, pussies!

388 is on now:

40453762763_5099b748bc_z.jpg

assume the dotty decal is representing the web-like nature of the aerials and not just a cheap printing problem.

Now I need to turn the model over and do the other side.

Stop those naughty thoughts, now :wicked:

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

Can you see it? Say you can see it. Please.

Yes I can see it!

Nimrod looking fantastic not far to the finishing line now

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sure is a lot of stencils, p'raps as it's going to be on the ceiling you could put the top ones on the bottom too, so you can appreciate all your hard work! 

Ian

Btw, it's been 4 months now! What on earth have you been playing at? We should have seen 3 builds in that time!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, CedB said:

BMers are a great, kind and supportive lot and thanks for the encouragement.

a link to that web forum would be handy - I'd consider joining that one.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

They provide decals for what I'm now calling 'Hendie's thingies on the tail boom'. Good job I found that as I had planned to do 'something like that' (q.v.) with aluminium tape.

if memory cobwebs can be dusted away for a few seconds, I believe they were actually aluminum strips bonded/riveted to the outside of the MAD boom.  Nothing magnetic was allowed in that area and all the tools we used when working on that were made of brass. Yes, brass... brass screwdrivers and all.

Standard Aluminum tape (nice idea!) would be too thick at that scale though BMF may work

carry on

• Like 5

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Btw, it's been 4 months now! What on earth have you been playing at? We should have seen 3 builds in that time!

I was going to mention this but decided that it could send him into overdrive .

Steady job on the Mighty Hunter.

Many stencils to go?

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks Roger, Giorgio, Ben and Stu :) 

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I imagine your "decal done" crossing out (388?? FFS!) gets more emphatic as the process goes on.

For the last decal perhaps you could use this:

cy-twombly-1_1291031c.jpg

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I'll remember that as it'll be very therapeutic :)

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That sure is a lot of stencils, p'raps as it's going to be on the ceiling you could put the top ones on the bottom too, so you can appreciate all your hard work! 

Ian

21 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I was going to mention this but decided that it could send him into overdrive .

Steady job on the Mighty Hunter.

Many stencils to go?

Simon.

Four months! Good grief! That made me look in the diary to see what might have caused the delay…

1. New car and driving it about pointlessly (possibly making brmmm brmmm noises)
  2. Christmas and associated hangovers celebrations
  3. Waiting for the resin
  4. Joining my new club and trying to decide whether to be a Magistrate
  5. Puppy sitting
  6. Puppy sitting and
  7. Puppy sitting.

… and, of course, some mojo deserts.

After this I'm going to do some easier builds to catch up. So there :) 

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I love stencils. Stencils are my life.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

:rofl2:

We must talk about this in November. I have a couch.

34 minutes ago, hendie said:

a link to that web forum would be handy - I'd consider joining that one.

if memory cobwebs can be dusted away for a few seconds, I believe they were actually aluminum strips bonded/riveted to the outside of the MAD boom.  Nothing magnetic was allowed in that area and all the tools we used when working on that were made of brass. Yes, brass... brass screwdrivers and all.

Standard Aluminum tape (nice idea!) would be too thick at that scale though BMF may work

carry on

Thanks H :D 

The decals are on the tail:

47421136271_a74c656d60_z.jpg

and, of course, my nerves are shot.

Loooonnnng strips are always fun, aren't they, especially when they go around something. 

Carefully position the edge, gently pull off the backing and watch as the transfer wraps itself around the model… almost (but not quite) where you want it.

Nudge it, snap it, curse it, get it perfectly positioned and then knock it off position while brushing down.

Oh the fun we had… not.

I'm going to let those settle and we're off to the pub tonight with friends.

Tomorrow I will attack the remaining ones:

32479117557_1e4fa6724d_z.jpg

Has to be said they're mostly a decent, manageable size, thank goodness.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, hendie said:

I've heard of brass tools being used when capping oil wells after fires.

• Like 1

Looks superb, really taking shape. The stencils do add to the detail. Yes they are a right royal pain, but they do add to the depth of detail Put it this way, here's a choice: news and live coverage from Westminster or doing the stencils? No argument really is there!

• Haha 1

I seem to remember that those aluminum strips were actually earthing strips, bonded to the airframe to protect the MAD boom in case of lightning strikes.  

But I could be completely wrong, after all, it was a long, long time ago

• Thanks 1

That’s some sterling work there Ced, you are a much much much better man than me.... when it comes to stencils and modelling, god knows on the rest of your life.

the top looks like a less frustrating task, as is always the case

Rob

• Thanks 1