Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

The first Airfix kits suffered from duff decals and Airfix were forced to offer replacements. It might be worth contacting Airfix to see if they have any left.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Nice work Ced and a tenacious approach to the problems being presented to you, superb recovery on those 62's.

2 things jumped out at me, never heard of using cellotape to remove decals, I would be worried about pulling chunks of paint off but it obviously works.👍

The second is Inkscape, I followed a tutorial and it took me two hours to make a Swedish flag which put me off a little, is there any publications on how to use this programme as i think it took so long because I was in and out of the tutorial window for guidance?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

47217564152_5ee23e633f_z.jpg

Ced, those rings around the MAD boom were a dull aluminum color - they also had longitudinal strips connecting them and a little pointy aerial sticking our the end

They can be seen to good effect in this photo.  I don't remember the MR1 being any different

Nimrod_MR2_00023_.jpg?bwg=1543399143

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, andyf117 said:

👍 I've done that myself, for the four-inch serials on a couple of my RN Sea Kings! 😀

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Ditto, the Sea Vixen got that treatment on the underwing stickers too

Far superior to trying to attach everything in a perfect line

Go Ced, go

12 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I'm miserly, though - those big underwing numbers would take up too much valuable decal paper if I had usable alternatives...

....you should see how much I cram onto a sheet! A new Sea King's been sat for weeks waiting for decals while I'm filling up an A5 sheet with other stuff!

12 hours ago, perdu said:

I just bought five sheets of clear 'ink jet' paper from the 'bay cost me five and a half quid's with free posting

Beats hoping you can get a close match with various printers output

11 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I sold my inkjet sheets on here yesterday! Had seven left from a pack of 10 - no use for them having switched to a laser printer years ago...

....had a response less than two minutes after posting, and they were in the post within the hour! Spent the six quid on five sheets of laser...

Thanks Andy and Bill :) I, too, have a stock of Laser and Inkjet paper although I think the white Inkjet stuff was the cheap 'use for mugs' stuff (see above). I was certainly a mug to buy the cheap stuff… I'm keeping it though - after all the 'learning' about printer resolutions I did during my Boultbee Spitfire build I need it for the Canon hi-res inkjet. Basically my 600dpi laser, as it has four colours, only prints at 150dpi apparently.

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The first Airfix kits suffered from duff decals and Airfix were forced to offer replacements. It might be worth contacting Airfix to see if they have any left.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) Good idea, but by the time they arrive I could have cut the things out (masochist!) If I have too many more problems I'll get in touch with Airfix.

11 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Nice work Ced and a tenacious approach to the problems being presented to you, superb recovery on those 62's.

2 things jumped out at me, never heard of using cellotape to remove decals, I would be worried about pulling chunks of paint off but it obviously works.👍

The second is Inkscape, I followed a tutorial and it took me two hours to make a Swedish flag which put me off a little, is there any publications on how to use this programme as i think it took so long because I was in and out of the tutorial window for guidance?

Thanks Gary :) I'm using Scotch 'pressure sensitive' tape - not sure if that makes a difference and the gloss coat before decalling probably helps?

Inkscape does take some learning but worth the effort IMHO. The vector based (svg) format makes it much easier to produce crisp, scalable images than with bitmap programs. Persevere!

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Ced, those rings around the MAD boom were a dull aluminum color - they also had longitudinal strips connecting them and a little pointy aerial sticking our the end

They can be seen to good effect in this photo.  I don't remember the MR1 being any different

Nimrod_MR2_00023_.jpg?bwg=1543399143

Thanks hendie :) I've wiped off the Flory and will attempt 'something like that' on my return from puppy sitting at the end of the week.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Fabulous job Ced! Mine's still in the stash of doom. Might get around to it but have got 4 models on the bench at the moment. FW200 still in progress and about to use those masks you made. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bill and Phil :) 

Back from my last week of Puppy Sitting - hooray! Tilly is now 12 weeks old, fully vaccinated and able to go to 'professional' carers when her owners aren't working from home. It's been an interesting few weeks but I'm looking forward to having some 'me time' now and I certainly won't miss the driving to Leicestershire.

Training a puppy (my fourth now) is interesting and frustrating at the same time - exercise, discipline and affection, the Dog Whisperer says. Tilly can now sit, lie down and come to command and she's almost house trained. She's also developed a voice and I was very pleased to see her using it to comment on recent events in Parliament:

You can see her frustration when she couldn't find someone to bite…

Need to take Mols for a walk now but, hopefully, back to the bench very soon!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

She's also developed a voice and I was very pleased to see her using it to comment on recent events in Parliament:

Good to see you back  here  Ok , Leiceistershire is not so near to Bath. Could it be that Tilly understand, what they really dicuss there or did she wish she was something like that?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I can understand Tilly's frustration, I often howl at the TV when they are showing something from Westminster.

It's been quiet without you, now looking forward to more Nimrodding.

John

Thanks John :D Some more Nimrodding below.

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What a gorgeous little hound she is!

K

Thanks Keith :) She is adorable, until she gets those 'evil eyes' and pounces!

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Welcome back "Barbara" , the pup has sense at least.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - Barbara? I've lost touch… :) 

19 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Get her into Parliament - would be an improvement. 

Anything would be an improvement Tomo! Not impressed at the moment :( 

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Good to see you back  here  Ok , Leiceistershire is not so near to Bath. Could it be that Tilly understand, what they really dicuss there or did she wish she was something like that?

Thanks Ben - where do you get those Spider outfits I wonder? :D 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some people really do have too much time on their hands!!! 

K

Indeed :D 

First day back to the bench for ages and look at this mojo killer:

40436333713_7cf6f0874d_z.jpg

on Flickr

… especially as the tiny ones aren't separating from the carrier and have to be cut out. Eight of them applied so far:

46486868135_421c3404af_z.jpg

As you can see they're big enough to be noticed (even on the ceiling) and small enough to be really irritating.

I need to get some discipline and push on.

Ugh.

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

Keep going, you're nearly there. If I'd realised you were in Leicestershire all this time I'd have popped over, doh! Got another kit for you to complete!

As regarding the zillions of stencils, put the radio on with something to occupy you and the time will fly by. Looking really good, love the bomb bay. Mine has moved up the stash pile a few notches now. 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, HP42 said:

As regarding the zillions of stencils, put the radio on with something to occupy you and the time will fly by

Agreed! And they're going to make a lot of difference on the final outcome, so worth the chore, Ced... :shrug: :whistle:

:)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

where do you get those Spider outfits I wonder?

Haha, okay that's nasty, but funny (not for them). I really don't have a clue, but maybe single made. I have a clue,  that I would also run away (screaming ) especially at that time on the usual places, where you never feel really comfortable or secure. Cheers

Ps: Coming along nicely now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Yep , a mojo killer there Ced.

I had a look at the ones for the Raptor I am building, and that looks fun.

Keep up the good work mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

22 hours ago, HP42 said:

Keep going, you're nearly there. If I'd realised you were in Leicestershire all this time I'd have popped over, doh! Got another kit for you to complete!

As regarding the zillions of stencils, put the radio on with something to occupy you and the time will fly by. Looking really good, love the bomb bay. Mine has moved up the stash pile a few notches now. 😬

Thanks Phil :) 

Opportunity missed for me - rats. Next time we're up and I'm not tied to a puppy I'll get in touch.

Radio on, another hour this morning, more stencils on (see below).

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! And they're going to make a lot of difference on the final outcome, so worth the chore, Ced... :shrug: :whistle:

:)

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. A lot of difference? :hmmm:

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Woodhouse??

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Walkies !!!!

Simon.

Ah yes. Siiiiitah! Don't have the tweed skirt :( 

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Haha, okay that's nasty, but funny (not for them). I really don't have a clue, but maybe single made. I have a clue,  that I would also run away (screaming ) especially at that time on the usual places, where you never feel really comfortable or secure. Cheers

Ps: Coming along nicely now!

Thanks Ben - certainly looked scary :) 

Disciplined myself to do another hour this morning.

47358401212_dfafa4c35e_z.jpg

See the difference?

No.

Quite.

From the front of the underside diagram I'm down the fuselage and along the leading edge.

Only another 34233478955 to go…

• Like 21

Great great job Ced !!

Given the kit, you really bashed it into submission !!

Now Molly have a friend... Nice pup for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

I have a rule with stencil decals. If it looks like a black dot from six inches away, I put a fine dot on the model with a fine marker pen. It saves having to look for the damn' things on your tissue when they disappear when you blot them.

The underside does look good though.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1