Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Thanks Ben, Giorgio, Keith, Roger and Stuart :) 

I reapplied the mask sheet this morning and patch sprayed the bits that needed it: 

46250014545_17b2c3554c_z.jpg

Don't do this. Well actually, folding up the sheet for re-use is the problem. It'll take you ages to pull the tape off the sheet and try to straighten it out again.

I've just had a quick search and decorating sheet is available for about £5 in large rolls so I'll probably chuck it next time…

Quick check and then gloss coat!

• Like 13

Looking rather splendid now Ced, I'd forgotten how much better that scheme looked than the often tatty overall hemp one.

I'm now over the knock out ' half flu 'after five days,  just in time to be chief nurse to SWMBO.

Get well soon.

John

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Don't do this. Well actually, folding up the sheet for re-use is the problem. It'll take you ages to pull the tape off the sheet and try to straighten it out again.

There must be some tools for that kind of job .... :hmmm:  :whistle:

:devil:  :rofl::rofl: No, just kidding, chucking away the used one sounds like the way to go :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking rather splendid now Ced, I'd forgotten how much better that scheme looked than the often tatty overall hemp one.

I'm now over the knock out ' half flu 'after five days,  just in time to be chief nurse to SWMBO.

Get well soon.

John

Thanks John :) Glad to hear you're feeling better; I'm a couple of days off 'top form' by the sounds of it.

Chief nurse? Do you have to wear a costume? :wicked:

6 hours ago, giemme said:

There must be some tools for that kind of job .... :hmmm:  :whistle:

:devil:  :rofl::rofl: No, just kidding, chucking away the used one sounds like the way to go :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :D Sometimes, saving things for later isn't the thing to do!

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Thursday is always tools day

Wanders off quietly whistling.........

Thanks Bill :D 

6 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Great work, Ced! 👍 Looking forward for an undercarriage installation.

Cheers! 😎

Thanks Nikolay :) Not long to wait now (see below)

/old joke alert/

Q: What's this?

33291121918_ea00184b5f_z.jpg

A: Dead one of these:

46443354154_9c59ec4454_z.jpg

Brushed on Future/Klear to make it SHINY.

These have been assembled:

46253147005_b323c6f713_z.jpg

I think I'm going to put them on before the transfers to protect the sticky out bits - I've knocked one off already - doh!

Today's 'Where's the part' quiz… 29E?

46443837714_098fa0d04c_z.jpg

Easy to spot that one due to the shape.

On the sprue next to the '23'.

OK, it is above '29' but hey, isn't anyone checking this stuff??

• Like 17
  • Haha 8

If they were checking it we wouldn't have any fun! Try sticking the 29s where the 23 should go! Or should that be the 23s where the 29 should go?

Help, I've confused myself! 

Ian

• Haha 6

She looks sweet in glossy! :clap: :clap: 

BTW, you know there are sink marks in the main struts, don't you? One of them is surely remaining hidden, after assembling piece 29E (or 23 or whatever Ian says ... :rofl: ), but maybe the other not?

Ducks, turns left and runs away ...

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks superb.  As others have said, the original grey & white scheme was rather classy - more fun than wall-to-wall hemp!

[Blimey, this is fun: new whizzy wi-fi arrived today, and I am now sitting in a chair where this morning I had no coverage (these Victorians just took NO account of Wi-Fi signals, which I call pretty poor)... and I have full-on, four bars, nice and fast coverage on my iPad, even while it is downloading a film at the same time.  Salisbury edges that little bit closer to the 21st Century!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 9

On 2/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, CedB said:

Anything that's easier than my approach Joseph! :) 

There's that alright, though I'm sorely tempted to just bash the thing together straight from the box to save time and make a small dent in my stash.  Mind you, if I did that I'd be ever conscious of a reproach from the misplaced light covers and the inaccurate windscreen.  Your approach would presumably save a bit of money, which is also a factor to consider.

Enough about me, back to your model.  Splendid work so far, both in construction and painting.  I'm looking forward to the result.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If they were checking it we wouldn't have any fun! Try sticking the 29s where the 23 should go! Or should that be the 23s where the 29 should go?

Help, I've confused myself! 

Ian

I shall stick it somewhere appropriate! Thanks Ian :) 

7 hours ago, giemme said:

She looks sweet in glossy! :clap: :clap: 

BTW, you know there are sink marks in the main struts, don't you? One of them is surely remaining hidden, after assembling piece 29E (or 23 or whatever Ian says ... :rofl: ), but maybe the other not?

Ducks, turns left and runs away ...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) They'll be hidden, honest…

6 hours ago, hendie said:

that looks like a sweet paint job Ced

Thanks hendie :) 

5 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

I’ve dismantled and assembled plenty of those landing gears in the past, filthy job. 

Thanks Rick :) In that case you'll know that, if I'm posing her flying with the wheels down, that the strut should be extended and the front wheels 'below' the rear…

Keep it to yourself, there's a good chap.

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hurrah!!!!

K

Thanks Keith :) See, I do learn. Eventually.

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, what a great finish Ced, even on the dead one!

Thanks Cookie :) I like it too, thankfully.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That looks superb.  As others have said, the original grey & white scheme was rather classy - more fun than wall-to-wall hemp!

[Blimey, this is fun: new whizzy wi-fi arrived today, and I am now sitting in a chair where this morning I had no coverage (these Victorians just took NO account of Wi-Fi signals, which I call pretty poor)... and I have full-on, four bars, nice and fast coverage on my iPad, even while it is downloading a film at the same time.  Salisbury edges that little bit closer to the 21st Century!]

Thanks Crisp :) Salisbury in the 21st century? That'd be a shame…

3 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

There's that alright, though I'm sorely tempted to just bash the thing together straight from the box to save time and make a small dent in my stash.  Mind you, if I did that I'd be ever conscious of a reproach from the misplaced light covers and the inaccurate windscreen.  Your approach would presumably save a bit of money, which is also a factor to consider.

Enough about me, back to your model.  Splendid work so far, both in construction and painting.  I'm looking forward to the result.

Thanks Joseph - your model, your choice. You could finish it faster than this without the changes… :) 

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Looks splendid sir!

Thanks Jon :) 

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is shaping up to be something rather special Ced.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely Ssmmooootthh sheen you have there Mr B. Your UC look good too. I do love a silver wheel. 🤩😍

Johnny

Me too Johnny! :) 

Here are the silver wheels fitted:

47117071622_2026548d2c_z.jpg

on Flickr

It took some sanding to get the support to go to the bottom of the bay. Giorgio that ejector mark will be hidden as well :) 

Looks like the doors fit well for wheels up:

47169060891_db660128dc_z.jpg

… although I think the instructions have the numbers reversed. However, with the full sized strut 13E:

33293993178_7e1d419caf_z.jpg

… the door won't shut:

40204262193_54d8dac942_z.jpg

… and we know from those BMers in the know that the outer doors were only open for maintenance.

After a lot of fiddling, shaving of the back of the door and quite a lot of cursing I decided a support was required:

46256793335_39c0c2064f_z.jpg

With that done and the lugs cut from the bottom of the support, all was well:

40206038283_aa6b146261_z.jpg

All was WELL - geddit? oh, suit yourself.

I'll do the other side in the morning. But now I could glue the support to the front u/c that had been left retracted to avoid accidents:

33295687588_166876da29_z.jpg

I should probably attend to the landing lights before I go much further.

Transfers after that.

BTW we're over 300 photos now and that doesn't include the puppy shots.

• Like 17

Those D doors were a great little hidey hole for a crafty kip, unless some conscientious Rigger left them open! Seeing your D door fouling on the side stay  reminds me that I had the same problem - can’t remember how I solved the problem though🤔. Those are some wicked into wind/out of wind clearances there - makes me want to reach for the dynafile. 

Actually I think the idea is that the trail position has the wheels touch down together. The axle beams would benefit from some brake lines and a coat of caked on filth come detailing time. One of the tasks on a Minor Servicing was to partially dismantle the LG for inspection/NDT, after one day your overalls got so filthy they had to go for laundry. 

Looking great btw

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Giorgio that ejector mark will be hidden as well :) 

I can see that, now :thumbsup: Excellent job with the wheel well and that door, you did well :rofl:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Those D doors were a great little hidey hole for a crafty kip, unless some conscientious Rigger left them open!

Military aviation (indeed, military life in general) is full of such impromptu racks.  The standard 1980s aircrew locker, universal in every squadron in all three services at the time (and quite possibly still) was almost perfectly designed for the purpose; provided you could sleep in a seated position (& if you couldn’t, what were you doing as aircrew?), all you needed was a mate to close the door fully from the outside - hey presto, an entire uninterrupted morning.

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Those D doors were a great little hidey hole for a crafty kip, unless some conscientious Rigger left them open! Seeing your D door fouling on the side stay  reminds me that I had the same problem - can’t remember how I solved the problem though🤔. Those are some wicked into wind/out of wind clearances there - makes me want to reach for the dynafile. 

Actually I think the idea is that the trail position has the wheels touch down together. The axle beams would benefit from some brake lines and a coat of caked on filth come detailing time. One of the tasks on a Minor Servicing was to partially dismantle the LG for inspection/NDT, after one day your overalls got so filthy they had to go for laundry. 

Looking great btw

Thanks Rick - great story! Caked filth? Sounds awful! :) 

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! The shot of the underside is decidedly curvaceous!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - hopefully only cure where it should be :) 

47 minutes ago, giemme said:

I can see that, now :thumbsup: Excellent job with the wheel well and that door, you did well :rofl:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) As you know, I'm quite lazy, so I got lucky.

38 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I thought about mentioning the pin marks, then I thought “ I bet he knows and they’ll be hidden “ I was right. :yahoo:

Top work Mr B as always. 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) 

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Military aviation (indeed, military life in general) is full of such impromptu racks.  The standard 1980s aircrew locker, universal in every squadron in all three services at the time (and quite possibly still) was almost perfectly designed for the purpose; provided you could sleep in a seated position (& if you couldn’t, what were you doing as aircrew?), all you needed was a mate to close the door fully from the outside - hey presto, an entire uninterrupted morning.

…and hopefully a good enough mate to open it again later! Thanks Crisp :) 

Before I show you some more Nimrod progress a quick news item.

The media currently seems obsessed with promoting bad news, so it was a surprise this morning to see that they're covering the story of a Sheffield man who's been tending a memorial to the crew of the B-17 that, he believes, avoided hitting him before it crashed 75 years ago. 'Mi Amigo' - came down in Endcliffe Park on 22 February 1944, killing everyone on board. I'm currently watching, waiting for the flypast. Emotional. RIP Gentlemen.

I think I may have a subject for the B-17 in my stash… 

As promised, the other leg was fitted (last night actually):

47122013032_1678595659_z.jpg

Of course without any nose weight (not required for the ceiling) she's a tail sitter:

32232261277_477f259e36_z.jpg

Actually a "watch out for those aerials!" sitter. I shall avoid problems, hopefully, using this:

33298734878_dc4dc72561_z.jpg

Did you make the jet noise? You did, didn't you… :D 

These need attention, of course:

32232238567_b410b20441_z.jpg

Horrid lights. They will be sorted.

• Like 21