Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

On 08/02/2019 at 17:27, hendie said:

thrown in, thrown out, thrown up

all of the above.

Kinloss was indeed a fine camp.   More so as it was a 'bad boys' camp where all the naughty people got sent (at least in my days).  It took the RAF a while to figure out that if you sent all the bad boys and all the bad girls to the same place, it wasn't really a punishment posting anymore... there was far too much fun to be had!

Hmm that might explain why my unit got the run of 8 sqn's hangar whilst the aircraft were dispatched to Lossie whilst the runways were resurfaced

I had a severe chastening for missing the bus home from Inverness one Saturday evening and walking home...

Snowdrops were not very happy with me as they met me just at the 8 sqn apron in front of the hangar, maybe because I got so far onto the place before they were able to stop me

Happy days

*Punishment was to become the designated driver to the Brig

Who hated anyone driving him any where, especially anyone who'd never driven an auto before...  :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I had a severe chastening for missing the bus home from Inverness one Saturday evening and walking home...

try walking from Aberdeen when you're due in the guardroom at 6:30 am for SWO's working party!   I think I got about 26 miles or so before getting picked up by a Milanda bread van around 5:30 which got me back to camp just in time enough to get changed and hobble up to the guardroom

all because the young lady had pretty eyes....

Wait... Inverness to Kinloss ?  That's about the same distance give or take a hobble or two.  My punishment was having to walk on those feet for the remainder of the week!  (us crabs weren't used to walking any further than the nearest Naafi van)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We mudpluggers were used to walking you know

my biggest concern was trying to get in without the Sgt major copping me

he did 😡

all i had to carry home was my wallet and a deflated ego

My Bergen was already at home in the 8 sqn hangar

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/02/2019 at 17:47, hendie said:

it certainly is looking rather nifty Ced.   That effort spent on the windows paid off no end

Thanks hendie - another clean and coat of Aqua Gloss and they should be fine :) 

On 11/02/2019 at 17:57, Biggles87 said:

Considering the area you've had to cover I think you can be forgiven the odd 'bleed' here and there.

John

Thanks John :) Talking of bleed, the puppy sitting has left a few blood dots here and there :( 

On 11/02/2019 at 17:59, 06/24 said:

Very Nimrod-ish sir, Bravo!

Thanks Jon :) 

On 11/02/2019 at 18:13, bbudde said:

Looks fine to me! Great work on the top side!

Glad you put the price to Heather. She earned it so far!

Btw for your little puppy for the next time. In North Germany they have to deal with bad weather and seal puppies from time to time:

Thanks Ben :) 

On 11/02/2019 at 18:49, Martian Hale said:

Very smart!

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) 

On 11/02/2019 at 21:06, The Spadgent said:

Nice and straight, lovely sir. 😄

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - the thin masking tape made it easy to get the line straight to be honest; I'll try to remember that in the future.

On 11/02/2019 at 22:04, 71chally said:

That really does look good Ced, just gotta love all that white and light grey!

Thanks James - I DO love it, much better than the dull hemp IMHO :) 

On 11/02/2019 at 22:22, Spookytooth said:

The mighty Hunter looks great.

A touch here and there but what the heck, she looks fine.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - yes, I'm looking forward to the touch ups (fnaar!) :) 

On 12/02/2019 at 16:11, limeypilot said:

Lovely straight, crisp, demarcation there Ced. We can forgive the tail on that basis.

Carry on!

Ian

Thanks Ian - the tail will be sorted soon, hopefully :) 

On 12/02/2019 at 17:02, Kirk said:

I know you're busy completing the model Ced, but could we have another (more taxing) "Find the part" quiz when you get a mo? It reminds me of the extreme close up game on Ask the Family... :D

:rofl2:

Thanks also to Bill and hendie for the 'there I was' stories - great stuff :D 

A few days puppy sitting and I'm back home, tired and with so many scratches and bite marks (play biting, has to be done for 'bonding' apparently) it looks like I've been self harming. My hands are sore too so no modelling today and we have Mrs B's family here tomorrow. I'm hoping I can slip some modelling in though, fingers crossed.

Tilly is a delight though:

33232454828_df3b02b92f_z.jpg

on Flickr

That's her 'Can I bite you again now?' look. She's too young to train really so it's been a bit frustrating. Play biting is important but her teeth are SO sharp I'm thinking of asking my daughter to save them so I can use them in a pin vice. She'll get there as she is pretty smart. Mrs B had made me some Tuna and sweetcorn pasta to take with me and when I took the top off the container Tilly's nose went straight in the air and she went on a hunt. I lifted here up and showed her the pasta then put her back on the floor while I went to get a fork. When I returned she had, for the first time, scaled the back of the sofa, leapt onto the table and was tucking in to the pasta. it's a good job I told my daughter the story because the sweetcorn has, how can I put this... er, worked its way through and is now part of the evidence pack. Awww, sweet. Mostly.

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

Deffo the right paint scheme for the Mighty Nimrod. It will look great once the markings go on.

With a paint scheme as complex as that, with the stonking big solar cap on it, flaws, boo-boos ridges, etc, are inevitable here and there. Part of it just comes with the fact that the model is so big. However, nothing that gentle wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper cant fix and once the decals are on it will distract the eye somewhat.

i think.

-d-

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

A few days puppy sitting and I'm back home, tired and with so many scratches and bite marks (play biting, has to be done for 'bonding' apparently) it looks like I've been self harming. My hands are sore too so no modelling today and we have Mrs B's family here tomorrow. I'm hoping I can slip some modelling in though, fingers crossed.

Tilly is a delight though:

33232454828_df3b02b92f_z.jpg

on Flickr

That's her 'Can I bite you again now?' look. She's too young to train really so it's been a bit frustrating. Play biting is important but her teeth are SO sharp I'm thinking of asking my daughter to save them so I can use them in a pin vice. She'll get there as she is pretty smart. Mrs B had made me some Tuna and sweetcorn pasta to take with me and when I took the top off the container Tilly's nose went straight in the air and she went on a hunt. I lifted here up and showed her the pasta then put her back on the floor while I went to get a fork. When I returned she had, for the first time, scaled the back of the sofa, leapt onto the table and was tucking in to the pasta. it's a good job I told my daughter the story because the sweetcorn has, how can I put this... er, worked its way through and is now part of the evidence pack. Awww, sweet. Mostly.

Errmmmmm ... Ced .... I thought you knew what goes in ......... must come out !!

I'm afraid Nimrod has been hijacked. Tilly looks a sweet little thing, but a food thief  ..........

On the hijack point, I give you Flossey, the fastest bacon thief in the world ... Mrs H was just aout to tuck into  bacon egg and chips  when the bacon disappeared like greased .. err ... bacon ..... into the maw of the cocker on the left.

fcad1d94-e0a3-4d8c-8fde-2e54951e18f4.jpg

Hard to believe they are sisters !

Edited by Whofan
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 2/16/2019 at 1:47 AM, CedB said:

A few days puppy sitting and I'm back home, tired and with so many scratches and bite marks (play biting, has to be done for 'bonding' apparently) it looks like I've been self harming. My hands are sore too so

Oh,  Ced you borderliner.  Hope your wife's family don't think you are suffering from SHB :whistle:

Cute puppy!

Cheers

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone! 

Apologies for the gap - that 'half flu' thing that seems to be going around…

I have been Micro-meshing and touching up and I'm now happy with the white bits:

33285207198_10e9f5d354_z.jpg

on Flickr

I think I need to put the sheet mask back on to keep that nice while I touch up / spot spray the grey.

See Bill, I do learn, eventually.

Hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 19