Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

7 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

It remains the only pub I ever got thrown into. 

thrown in, thrown out, thrown up

all of the above.

Kinloss was indeed a fine camp.   More so as it was a 'bad boys' camp where all the naughty people got sent (at least in my days).  It took the RAF a while to figure out that if you sent all the bad boys and all the bad girls to the same place, it wasn't really a punishment posting anymore... there was far too much fun to be had!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

light pink colour

Never seen it do that . The only thing I remember going or leaving pink stains is Release Agent and PRC's PR1005L Fuel Resistant Lacquer (wide cut fuel protection ).

Thanks for all that other info .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Never seen it do that . The only thing I remember going or leaving pink stains is Release Agent and PRC's PR1005L Fuel Resistant Lacquer (wide cut fuel protection ).

It depends on the colour of the underlying paint...and how long it takes to attract dirt! it shows up nicely against Sea King yellow. 

• Like 1

You've not entirely ruined this kit whilst I've been away then...

On 2/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, CedB said:

46955042592_3dd42f9858_z.jpg

Not as good as I'd like but as good as I'm going to get I think. 

Errant nonsense dear fellow - your patience and skill in getting that canopy sorted are of the highest order in the finish that you've acheieved there.

That looks the bees knees - if not the entire leg. :clap:

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

On 11/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Alleycat actually make a number of items for this kit including a detailed bomb bay and new intakes/engine areas. The kit intakes, contours etc aren't quite right and the lights aren't quite right, but the resin is a lot of cutting and blending and whilst it does fix most of it, the new engine air intakes are worse than the kit items! Whether it's worth the effort and cost will vary from person to person.

I'm thinking of following Pigsty's suggestion of putting the kit intake fronts onto the Alleycat parts.

• Like 1

Back from our trip and nursing my wounds…

33172435988_c792f04c08_z.jpg

on Flickr

Very, very cute she is bit crikey, those claws and little teeth are sharp. More to come mid-week :rolleyes:

Thanks Ben and Bill for joining in the hunt, and the 'Where is part #36' imaginary prize goes to:

On 08/02/2019 at 11:26, Heather Kay said:

Well, it do look like it's at the top of that photo. The part with "36" next to it. 🔍

Well done Heather! NOW I can see it… silly of me to imagine that Airfix were using sequential numbering. Another lesson learnt! :D 

On 08/02/2019 at 11:31, keefr22 said:

That's how it started with me. Nine years on and I'm still 'puppy sitting' for two days a week (at least it's not three now the missus has retired too!)

What a little cutie though! (and I don't mean the Nimblob!)

Keith

Thanks for the warning Keith! :) 

On 08/02/2019 at 12:12, giemme said:

Cute puppy, indeed! :thumbsup:

And @Heather Kay spotted it right 👍, #36 in the top centre-left of your pic, is there a prize for second place too? :)

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - no prize for second place, sorry; it's too easy once someone tells you the answer! :D 

On 08/02/2019 at 15:01, Rickoshea52 said:

Hi Ced,

I hope you don’t mind another interested viewer to your Nimrod build, I’ve been following from the sidelines and only just joined the BM site.

Having spent a number of years working on Nimrod MR2’s in ASF at Kinloss I can confirm that the bomb bay (not weapons bay) door insulation was removed in the mid nineties. I spent plenty of time replacing missing plastizote with pots of evilstik and PRC during my first tour in ASF, I left in October 1995. By the time I returned in 1998 this insulation was no longer fitted. 

The AlleyCat resin bomb bay insert is very good, though in my opinion has a glaring error, the hydraulic equipment hatch (just forward of the bomb bay mixing chamber) is cast 90 degrees out. I bought this detail set myself for a Nimrod build I did a few years ago and was left somewhat let down my this oversight. 

For the searchlight, I used a silver sequin and piece of plastic rod, occasionally some Nimrods would have the searchlight removed leaving a vacant clear cupola. 

Youve done a great job so far and I look forward to seeing this complete. 

P.s. if you are interested you can read about my Nimrod build in another forum here - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/nimrod-mr2-airfix-1-72.18974/

P.P.S. My recollection is the plastizote was black, we also used it for tool kit inserts. I did see patch repairs with light blue/blueish green sometimes. 

Thanks very much Rick - I had a look at your MR2 build and it looks marvellous (even though I can't see the full sized photos unless I sign up) :) 

So the bomb bay had insulation but not the weapons bay? Which one is which please? Or have I just got the term wrong?

On 08/02/2019 at 15:11, Courageous said:

I can see the part on the sprue...:police:

Stuart

On 08/02/2019 at 16:47, limeypilot said:

It seems everyone except Ced can see part 36. I think we need to club together and buy him a " where's Waldo" book.

Ian

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Part 36? Oh I think you’ll find it now. 🤣

very cute fuzzy doge. Good luck Mr B. 

Johnny

Thanks guys (ahem) :rolleyes: I can see it NOW! :D 

On 08/02/2019 at 17:02, Rickoshea52 said:

The Nimrod had four hydraulic systems - Blue, Green, yellow and red. The blue system was for the flying controls powered by engine driven pumps. The green system was also EDP powered and supplied the flying controls, airbakes, flaps, landing gear, wheel brakes & anti skid, camera doors and bomb doors. The yellow system was powered by an electric pump for the flying controls. The red system was also electrically powered and operated the flaps, landing gear and wheel brakes (without anti-skid) - this all from memory so it may be a little fuzzy. The red system was also used by the armourers to flare the bomb doors for stores loading. 

The hydraulic oil was OX-87, sometimes referred to as Nimor or Nimor 87 which I was told replaced OF-4, certainly by 1992 at least. Other oils were used on the aircraft - the searchwater radar scanner was powered by OM-15 - which also dries to a light pink colour depending on the amount of oil and length of time left uncleared; curiously the best thing to clean up dried OM-15 is clean OM-15. 

I can’t remember clearly now but I think it was OX-27/8 for the cold air units. The windscreen wipers were hydraulically powered by closed circuit system powered by two motors located in the nose landing gear bay. The main landing gear oleos retained OF-4 for a while and may have changed over to OX-87 during the early nineties. 

HTH

On 08/02/2019 at 17:10, hendie said:

it was definitely a greenish bluey somethingorother up to at least the late 80's  I left Kinloss ASF in 88 and it was still that color at that point.

was the White Horse still going in Elgin then ?

On 08/02/2019 at 17:48, bzn20 said:

On 08/02/2019 at 19:39, Rickoshea52 said:

It depends on the colour of the underlying paint...and how long it takes to attract dirt! it shows up nicely against Sea King yellow. 

Thanks Gents - I'll be attending to the doors later so please 'stay tuned' - I'll need some help I'm sure :) 

On 08/02/2019 at 17:14, Rickoshea52 said:

Haha! Yes. It remains the only pub I ever got thrown into. 

ASF Kinloss were the happiest times I had in the RAF.

On 08/02/2019 at 17:27, hendie said:

thrown in, thrown out, thrown up

all of the above.

Kinloss was indeed a fine camp.   More so as it was a 'bad boys' camp where all the naughty people got sent (at least in my days).  It took the RAF a while to figure out that if you sent all the bad boys and all the bad girls to the same place, it wasn't really a punishment posting anymore... there was far too much fun to be had!

:rofl2:

On 09/02/2019 at 05:56, Biggles87 said:

I was out/busy most of yesterday so a bit late on the ' cute puppy ' but she certainly is.

John

Thanks John :) 

On 09/02/2019 at 14:50, TheBaron said:

You've not entirely ruined this kit whilst I've been away then...

Errant nonsense dear fellow - your patience and skill in getting that canopy sorted are of the highest order in the finish that you've acheieved there.

That looks the bees knees - if not the entire leg. :clap:

:rofl2: Cheers Tony - you're very kind as always.

18 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I'm thinking of following Pigsty's suggestion of putting the kit intake fronts onto the Alleycat parts.

Anything that's easier than my approach Joseph! :) 

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice work on the cockpit area, you have done a cracking Job Ced. Very cute puppy too.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris :) 

Part #36 located, seam attended to and the errant part stuck on:

40085889593_df74e52aa8_z.jpg

Having gone la la la la to James last post about the tailplane shape I finally succumbed and attacked them with the SIHRSC:

47050799631_e6f6c9c04b_z.jpg

I've also filled the holes and slots on the underside of the wing:

46137144705_94edde2c24_z.jpg

Humbrol filler of course.

I guess I need a primer coat to expose any nasties.

I had thought of just spraying Colourcoats but you know that would show up something don't you.

More tomorrow :) 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, CedB said:

So the bomb bay had insulation but not the weapons bay? Which one is which please? Or have I just got the term wrong?

The terminology we used was bomb bay; weapons bay is just another term that was rarely heard by my ears.

”The pannier extends the length of the fuselage...and forms the radome, Doppler bay, bomb bay and rear equipment bay.”; Source: Nimrod MR2 Airframes Systems course notes. 

An observation on the radome, the kit has diagonal engraved lines either side; these appear to match a black painted area on MR1’s in white/grey however I am not convinced there should be these panel lines; they certainly weren’t present on MR2’s that I  ever saw. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above with the radome, I've never been able to find out if the black nose cone of the early MR.1s was a seperate part, as delineated by the kit.

You mentioned filling in two holes in the wing undersides, generally yes fill them. However the MR.1 was capable of carrying Martel and AS12 missiles from pylons that fit those holes, it was a very rare fit though.

I have seen a shot of an MR.1 with something else hung of the pylon, put can't work out what it is.

Can't remember if you get the pylons in the kit?

Cracking work, coming on a treat.

Just to balance things out, long live the memories of dear old 42 and 236 at St Mawgan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Were getting some great stuff here Ced, nice work

I think the kit offers pylons dunnit?

If it does stick em on and save a nightmarish filling job which will make Nimmie more ceiling friendly.

Pylons look good even if empty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

The terminology we used was bomb bay; weapons bay is just another term that was rarely heard by my ears.

”The pannier extends the length of the fuselage...and forms the radome, Doppler bay, bomb bay and rear equipment bay.”; Source: Nimrod MR2 Airframes Systems course notes. 

An observation on the radome, the kit has diagonal engraved lines either side; these appear to match a black painted area on MR1’s in white/grey however I am not convinced there should be these panel lines; they certainly weren’t present on MR2’s that I  ever saw. 

18 hours ago, hendie said:

yup, no lines.  The entire radome was just one big fiberglass panel

Thanks Rick and hendie - lines duly filled (the ones that go under the fuselage on the radome). Your wish is my command (most times) :) 

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

As above with the radome, I've never been able to find out if the black nose cone of the early MR.1s was a seperate part, as delineated by the kit.

You mentioned filling in two holes in the wing undersides, generally yes fill them. However the MR.1 was capable of carrying Martel and AS12 missiles from pylons that fit those holes, it was a very rare fit though.

I have seen a shot of an MR.1 with something else hung of the pylon, put can't work out what it is.

Can't remember if you get the pylons in the kit?

Cracking work, coming on a treat.

Just to balance things out, long live the memories of dear old 42 and 236 at St Mawgan!

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Were getting some great stuff here Ced, nice work

I think the kit offers pylons dunnit?

If it does stick em on and save a nightmarish filling job which will make Nimmie more ceiling friendly.

Pylons look good even if empty

Thanks James and Bill :) Too late for the pylons, holes filled already.

Teaser shot:

47009546472_88c37cc95c_z.jpg

on Flickr

She's BIG. It took 2 x 3ml to do the initial spray (with a 0.4mm) then another 3ml to touch up missed bits.

The another 2mm with a 0.2 to do the missed fiddly bits.

We shall see what the results are later.

Gill was right though - one tin of Colourcoats thinned 50/50 is going to be enough; just :fingerscrossed:

• Like 16

One of the things I love about this forum is the amount of information which is proffered without even having to ask for it! 

Looking good Ced, and that's a LOT of masking, let alone paint. Having said that, you're obviously used to it now, with the B36 behind you.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ian and Keith :) 

Of course I must let the paint dry properly before I… no, don't! You'll get fingerprints! Gaaaah, no telling the man:

46148881455_f29c63d610_z.jpg

Right, I MUST let that dry before I address the scabby bits and tiny bits of creep through:

40097733573_b9f1a432c0_z.jpg

Yes, that is nasty filling on the radome. Act in haste, repent at leisure as smart a*ses say. Not as bad as the tailplanes though:

33187429398_57127e6e35_z.jpg

That's what happens if you mask the sides first and then try to fill in around the masking sheet.

Don't do this, it's silly.

Looking smart though IMHO #blowyourowntrumpet

• Like 19

Looks fine to me! Great work on the top side!

Glad you put the price to Heather. She earned it so far!

Btw for your little puppy for the next time. In North Germany they have to deal with bad weather and seal puppies from time to time:

2163_05b895fa974445_600x600.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 3