Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

16 hours ago, hendie said:

excellent Ced, really nice job on the reinforcement plates around the windows.  I've seen many builds where the effect is overdone, but you've pulled it off nicely!

take the rest of the day off

Thanks hendie… and Benedikt, John, Trevor, Tomo, Bill, Martian, Jon, Massimo, Cookie, bzn20, Nikolay, James, Stuart and Giorgio :)

You're all very kind and it's certainly inspired me to the next step - appreciated chaps, thanks.

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

They are vents for the outboard wing tanks, again mighty fine job in creating them!

Thanks James - nice to know; better drill them out then eh?

There's something missing on the nose though, isn't there? The static/lightning conductor:

46961942692_26e496d5cf_z.jpg

Albion slide tubing, love it. That's the second attempt; I oversized the hole and when I glued it in it wasn't central so it had to come out and another made.

And yes, I did drop it on the floor and spend ages looking for it.

I hope the CA has filled the hole but it won't take much to correct that if necessary.

I can mask now. Thin tape run down the sides so that it goes under the bumpy windows. Tape for Curves on the front. Lots of bits on the back. Then on with the Tamiya Masking Sheet:

46289745654_1ea5a69db3_z.jpg

Flaps prepared for painting, drilling out the drain pipes:

47014229181_b99c35c4c0_z.jpg

Mask the **##££@@€ intakes:

46962477712_085619952d_z.jpg

I like the 'soft maggot packaging' for this; it cuts well and squishes nicely.

Searchlight. Hmmm. NiteSun.

Found a good thread on it, including a photo, here. I removed the clear part that's not mentioned in the instructions (10F) from the sprue and prepared the hole:

40049922983_2b915657f8_z.jpg

See the lug on the part? Not a locating peg so I started to saw it off, then realised it supposed to be the carbon rods. Oops. With the backing painted 'some sort of grey' (H27), chrome on the reflector and some black for the rods it's in:

47014615931_2eeb9733be_z.jpg

Now I just need to mask the cover so that the top and bottom bits get sprayed with the wing. Must be something here:

46100803835_2959faf76f_z.jpg

I keep all my masks as you can see - never know when they might come in.

The 'survival kit' has some arcs so they were used to mark the main panels, then bits and bobs stuck on the rest:

46290708514_f4e5189683_z.jpg

Stuck on with Gator's Grip.

Why is it that, with this sort of thing, you put some glue on, press the part nicely against the kit and then when you release the pressure it sticks to your fingers and pulls away? Eh? Why's that then?

Almost ready for a last check, clean down and then grey on.

• Like 22

"Why's that then?"

Its obvious mate, you have such an attractive personality that even plastic feels a need to stay around you

Lovely work on our model, I am really happy that you took on the challenge cos it would have beaten me into submission

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff Ced, the job you've done on the flight deck windows and re-inforcing plates is excellent - as is all the work you've done on the thing! 

And I'm still glad I sold my two....!!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

"Why's that then?"

Its obvious mate, you have such an attractive personality that even plastic feels a need to stay around you

Lovely work on our model, I am really happy that you took on the challenge cos it would have beaten me into submission

Thanks Bill - i'm really pleased you're liking what I've done so far. There's still time to mess up! :) 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

You've certainly shown that canopy who's BOSS! 

Your workmanship is really bringing this Nimrod to life now, looking forward to seeing it in paint

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'm looking forward to more paint soon(ish) :) 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Brilliant idea for the intake masking Mr B must try that sometime, although I don't build many jets these days.

John

Thanks John :) Don't forget it's the squishy stuff - those other curly wurly 'S' shaped things don't work!

49 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice Ced.

That hard work is paying off.

Long build but worth it mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

Some exhaust on the exhausts:

46101173015_55815d4559_z.jpg

This stuff sprays nicely but doesn't brush IMHO. Cleaning the airbrush is also a REAL pain, but it's worth it. Probably.

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

If you have more steady hands than I, then yes drill out the wingtip pipes, in the same stylee as the fuel vent and dumps on the flaps

Thanks James - done!

My old hands aren't that steady either but I find holding the part between fingertips with the end just showing and using my fingertips to guide the drill bit helps.

Er, fnaar? :D 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Canopy, wing tips, radar, masking. All ace. Topwork Mr B.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) 

Airfix Nimrod quiz part 8. Where in the world would you find part #36E?

46973059212_dba257ffcd_z.jpg

It goes here:

33150036398_ecea369e76_z.jpg

Ooo, that seam needs tidying too. Missed it.

Can I use part #35? Chop the tube off a #34?

Also, while examining the bottom (snurf snurf), do I need to fill in these holes? And the slot on both wings?

33150191088_b7d5cb4289_z.jpg

That's it for a couple of days. We're off to see our first 'Furry Grandchild'. Bit sickly I know but look:

40060734753_bae497e6af_z.jpg

Awwww, cute.

I'll also be 'puppy sitting' a couple of days a week for the next few weeks until she's fully vaccinated. At least it'll give the paint time to dry…

• Like 18

47 minutes ago, CedB said:

Airfix Nimrod quiz part 8. Where in the world would you find part #36E?

Well, it do look like it's at the top of that photo. The part with "36" next to it. 🔍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll also be 'puppy sitting' a couple of days a week for the next few weeks

That's how it started with me. Nine years on and I'm still 'puppy sitting' for two days a week (at least it's not three now the missus has retired too!)

What a little cutie though! (and I don't mean the Nimblob!)

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

I hope you don’t mind another interested viewer to your Nimrod build, I’ve been following from the sidelines and only just joined the BM site.

Having spent a number of years working on Nimrod MR2’s in ASF at Kinloss I can confirm that the bomb bay (not weapons bay) door insulation was removed in the mid nineties. I spent plenty of time replacing missing plastizote with pots of evilstik and PRC during my first tour in ASF, I left in October 1995. By the time I returned in 1998 this insulation was no longer fitted. 

The AlleyCat resin bomb bay insert is very good, though in my opinion has a glaring error, the hydraulic equipment hatch (just forward of the bomb bay mixing chamber) is cast 90 degrees out. I bought this detail set myself for a Nimrod build I did a few years ago and was left somewhat let down my this oversight. 

For the searchlight, I used a silver sequin and piece of plastic rod, occasionally some Nimrods would have the searchlight removed leaving a vacant clear cupola. 

Youve done a great job so far and I look forward to seeing this complete. 

P.s. if you are interested you can read about my Nimrod build in another forum here - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/nimrod-mr2-airfix-1-72.18974/

P.P.S. My recollection is the plastizote was black, we also used it for tool kit inserts. I did see patch repairs with light blue/blueish green sometimes. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
Added info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2019 at 18:58, bzn20 said:

The Nimrod used the Comet's OF4 (the Straw colour , Vegetable base fluid) OM15 (Red, mineral base fluid) and OX87 ( Synthetic) which I think replaced OF4 (the worse thing you could come in to contact with !) OF 4 went out with the Ark

OM15 is Red but after time with deterioration/drying out any drips , runs and pooling go to Orange and then to Yellow . Some Nimrod systems are isolated from others so a different fluid can be used with out contaminating the others . EG VC10 is all Skydrol but the later added Main cabin freight door is OM15 .

The PRC was either "PR1422 A" runny ish medium Brown or "PR1422 B" thick Dk Brown and doesn't play with a brush ! They come in 1422 A and 1422 B in 1/2 hour and 2 hour . The times are a  bit of a joke as it all depends on Temp and Humidity .

Depending when you were using it apart from Lead there was an Asbestos warning too (the activator) Run away !  It all got superceded in line with H&S !

The Nimrod had four hydraulic systems - Blue, Green, yellow and red. The blue system was for the flying controls powered by engine driven pumps. The green system was also EDP powered and supplied the flying controls, airbakes, flaps, landing gear, wheel brakes & anti skid, camera doors and bomb doors. The yellow system was powered by an electric pump for the flying controls. The red system was also electrically powered and operated the flaps, landing gear and wheel brakes (without anti-skid) - this all from memory so it may be a little fuzzy. The red system was also used by the armourers to flare the bomb doors for stores loading. 

The hydraulic oil was OX-87, sometimes referred to as Nimor or Nimor 87 which I was told replaced OF-4, certainly by 1992 at least. Other oils were used on the aircraft - the searchwater radar scanner was powered by OM-15 - which also dries to a light pink colour depending on the amount of oil and length of time left uncleared; curiously the best thing to clean up dried OM-15 is clean OM-15. 

I can’t remember clearly now but I think it was OX-27/8 for the cold air units. The windscreen wipers were hydraulically powered by closed circuit system powered by two motors located in the nose landing gear bay. The main landing gear oleos retained OF-4 for a while and may have changed over to OX-87 during the early nineties. 

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

P.P.S. My recollection is the plastizote was black, we also used it for tool kit inserts. I did see patch repairs with light blue/blueish green sometimes. 

it was definitely a greenish bluey somethingorother up to at least the late 80's  I left Kinloss ASF in 88 and it was still that color at that point.

was the White Horse still going in Elgin then ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hendie said:

it was definitely a greenish bluey somethingorother up to at least the late 80's  I left Kinloss ASF in 88 and it was still that color at that point.

was the White Horse still going in Elgin then ?

Haha! Yes. It remains the only pub I ever got thrown into. 

ASF Kinloss were the happiest times I had in the RAF.

• Like 1