Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Glad you cracked that issue with the seam Ced … er okay I'll get the proverbial :coat:

Good work on that canopy. Should look the dog's once painted after the work you've put into the mask. Also useful info, just in case on the off chance that I might could maybe possibly tempted to purchase one...

• Thanks 1

7442650112_269518e68b_b.jpgNimrod MR.2 XV236 11 March 05 by James Thomas, on Flickr

7442637024_6cd935ae8b_b.jpgNimrod MR.2 XV230 25 Jan 04 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hope these help with the windows business. I got some dead on front pics recently, will try and upload them.

BTW I corrected the Nimrod tailplanes by removing material from the tips rather than adding, can't remember if more by luck than planning but the span scaled out correctly in the end.  This method is also closer to the elevator to tip ratio.

I saw Perdu touched on this earlier, the two Nimrod prototypes were converted Comet 4Cs left on the line at Chester, one retained its Avon engines, the other gaining the Speys of the production aircraft. 

All production Nimrods were new built as MR.1s, the majority of these were converted to MR.2s over an 8 year programme, the others previously became R.1s or AEW.3s.  The ghastly MR.4 used retired MR.2 fuselages joined to new build wings and new engines and sensors.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Glad you cracked that issue with the seam Ced … er okay I'll get the proverbial :coat:

Good work on that canopy. Should look the dog's once painted after the work you've put into the mask. Also useful info, just in case on the off chance that I might could maybe possibly tempted to purchase one...

I can hear the hissing of the grains of temptation rising up College Road Tomo, when they reach the corner I feel they will sweep downhill in an avalanche of "Buy Me Now- Buy Me Now"s

He is already gone Ced, already...

😨

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

why not?   If needs must then...

Ced, in all the photo references of Nimrod bomb bays I can find there is no insulation shown.  I did find a statement on another forum that stated that the insulation was removed around 1995 so anything before that should really have the insulation.

I'm almost certain it was called plastazote and it came in flat sheets about 15 - 20 mm thick and was a light blue/green in color

Here's a quote on another forum from back in 2008 where someone is describing the insulation - which matches nicely with my recollection

The insides of the bomb doors and clamshell doors are lined with a high density foam material, which is coloured in a shade of green similar to a slightly washed out au de nil (sp), though it becomes heavily discolured by spillage from the keel drain system. This spillage is a mixture of hydraulic fluid and water, from internal condesation. Note that the hydraulic fluid used in Nimrods is straw coloured.

in this photo you can see bot the upper and lower "Z" flanges that the plastazote fitted under, the lower one being just above the black rubber seal.  A single sheet fitted from top to bottom, and was about 24" wide or thereabouts.  The sheets were stuck in with evostick and were sealed all round with PRC something or other - I can't remember the exact flavor of PRC.   It was a real gucky sticky brown 2 part mix that we used to lick and spit on all the time.  I seem to remember it had a really heavy lead content which was why it probably tasted like it did - or maybe that was just a rumour. Normally applied with a cheapo small brush and liberal application of spit on finger

So essentially, most of the inner surface of the bomb bay doors was covered in plastazote and there would be vertical brown lines every two feet or so and a full length brown line top and bottom... but probably invisible in 1/72

I have a feeling that we also cut the plastazote to fit around those recesses you see in the bomb doors here so there would be big dollops of PRC sealing around those edges as well

img_33535b35d.jpg

I'm glad you remembered !

Thanks Hendie, much appreciated :) As I'm supposed to be modelling XV262 after the Fincastle Trophy (1974) I guess I need to show something then. Rats.

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent save Ced dear boy. It proper fell apart there for a moment, I knew you would get her all back together again.

wonderful stuff.

Jont.

Thanks Jont :) 

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Immaculate canopy masking. Looking forward to primer!

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian :) 

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

The Nimrod used the Comet's OF4 (the Straw colour , Vegetable base fluid) OM15 (Red, mineral base fluid) and OX87 ( Synthetic) which I think replaced OF4 (the worse thing you could come in to contact with !) OF 4 went out with the Ark

OM15 is Red but after time with deterioration/drying out any drips , runs and pooling go to Orange and then to Yellow . Some Nimrod systems are isolated from others so a different fluid can be used with out contaminating the others . EG VC10 is all Skydrol but the later added Main cabin freight door is OM15 .

The PRC was either "PR1422 A" runny ish medium Brown or "PR1422 B" thick Dk Brown and doesn't play with a brush ! They come in 1422 A and 1422 B in 1/2 hour and 2 hour . The times are a  bit of a joke as it all depends on Temp and Humidity .

Depending when you were using it apart from Lead there was an Asbestos warning too (the activator) Run away !  It all got superceded in line with H&S !

Aha! Thanks bzn - glad I got some yellow gunk in there! :) 

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Thanks Tomo :) I'm not sure I have a set that I can reproduce, sadly - I corrected some masks and lost some others... might be doable I guess…

54 minutes ago, 71chally said:

7442650112_269518e68b_b.jpgNimrod MR.2 XV236 11 March 05 by James Thomas, on Flickr

7442637024_6cd935ae8b_b.jpgNimrod MR.2 XV230 25 Jan 04 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hope these help with the windows business. I got some dead on front pics recently, will try and upload them.

BTW I corrected the Nimrod tailplanes by removing material from the tips rather than adding, can't remember if more by luck than planning but the span scaled out correctly in the end.  This method is also closer to the elevator to tip ratio.

I saw Perdu touched on this earlier, the two Nimrod prototypes were converted Comet 4Cs left on the line at Chester, one retained its Avon engines, the other gaining the Speys of the production aircraft. 

All production Nimrods were new built as MR.1s, the majority of these were converted to MR.2s over an 8 year programme, the others previously became R.1s or AEW.3s.  The ghastly MR.4 used retired MR.2 fuselages joined to new build wings and new engines and sensors.

Thanks James, very kind :) You can see the problem I've had from those shots; in some the rear window looks angular - from the side it's rectangular. Gaaaah! Done now though.

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

I can hear the hissing of the grains of temptation rising up College Road Tomo, when they reach the corner I feel they will sweep downhill in an avalanche of "Buy Me Now- Buy Me Now"s

He is already gone Ced, already...

😨

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thanks Bill :) 

I'll see what this look like in the morning:

46998100181_5d6fa57320_z.jpg

on Flickr

• Like 20

Thanks Simon and Giorgio - not quite as smooth as she should be; more sanding this morning:

47003164621_85a4055bc0_z.jpg

More primer later.

Hang on though, what's this?

40038462773_560314b77a_z.jpg

Far too thick - most references show a thin aerial, more like this:

33127707638_0e0dbbfeec_z.jpg

Better. Sawed off the kit strip, glued on some rod and then chopped down the supports.

Happy.

• Like 18

More sanding and primer:

46090003535_de1db4889f_z.jpg

Only one bit lumpy. That sanded and 'scab plate' masks applied:

46090599345_044a24238a_z.jpg

i guess I need thicker paint there. Hmmm.

Meanwhile the wingtip aerial things have been scratched:

46951848072_94f8b780e0_n.jpg 46952357802_19e28ee578_n.jpg

Built up to give the 'wedgey' look and then a rod stuck on the top and filled:

46952663112_84db12e4d1_z.jpg

Getting there.

• Like 26

Excellent work on the aerials Ced. You are definitely getting there

I logged on to page 1 by mistake and see that it's nearly 3 months since you started on this. I know I'm not in any position to talk about it, but is it  going to be your longest build to date?

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent work on the aerials Ced. You are definitely getting there

I logged on to page 1 by mistake and see that it's nearly 3 months since you started on this. I know I'm not in any position to talk about it, but is it  going to be your longest build to date?

John

Thanks John :) Three months? Good grief… I suppose Christmas was in the middle and I had a pause for the resin, but crikey! Time to pull my socks up!

It certainly is my longest build AND has just beat the previous 'most photos' build. The Peacemaker was 265 and I'm now at 269 and still nowhere near finished!

2 hours ago, giemme said:

And with a lot of finesse, too :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

This is what I've been waiting for:

46093077075_149290bd99_z.jpg

46955042592_3dd42f9858_z.jpg

Not as good as I'd like but as good as I'm going to get I think. Time to move on to (gulp) masking for the demarcation line…

BTW anyone noticed Flickr being flakey today? I guess they're busy enforcing their new 'less than 1000 photos' rule. Hmmm.

• Like 31

Your last updates show the great effort you put in  this build and the great result you achieved!!!

I like very much the plate you did around the cockpit windows and te general look of the all thing.

I've been following you through this build and there were times when things really looked bad, expecially with the Alleycat transparents! I had a bad experience too with the resins set from this supplier  for my Buccaneer, all mishaped :headbang::angry:,but you survived and  now she looks great!!!

Well done!!!

Chapeau!!!:clap:

• Thanks 1

Love the Cockpit window doublers . Good detail . Makes such a difference ,getting the doubler gauge (thickness) right is hard thing to do or even finding something to replicate it and you did . Looks ace .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1