Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Bronson rules, Bronson's law

Yeah, that could keep me honest...

Ced you look armless, belay that you look bloodless armed

Relax a while and ponder this

The kit canopy is easy to polish smooth, we've pretty well all of us proven that for ourselves your worship

My suggestion requires you to grasp that particular, painless nettle and do the polishing then using the Alleycat, rather unfortunate resin casting make a plunge moulding of it with its associated framing unfiled off out of thin white plasticard

Then use that as a template to cut out the clear pieces of the window leaving the external window framing to add to the lovely shiny well fitting kit component the way I did in this old example

sherpabuild28mar_008.jpg

n.b this is not a Nimrod  ;)  but I was then able to do all sorts of little things inside the framing

sherpabuild28mar_010.jpg

As you see the clear piece has a white plastic skin added that can be made to do whatever you wish

The new outer can even be painted inside to represent the internal paint job

After the show is over...

sherpabuild01-April-026.jpg

Ready to fit and forget

Hope you get new blood soon, fancy being so careless...

🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Death Wish III was always my favourite. Who knew the mean streets of New York looked so much like Brixton?

:rofl2: I know what you mean PC - the gentle man who wants to be left alone, but then…

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Bronson rules, Bronson's law

Yeah, that could keep me honest...

Ced you look armless, belay that you look bloodless armed

Relax a while and ponder this

The kit canopy is easy to polish smooth, we've pretty well all of us proven that for ourselves your worship

My suggestion requires you to grasp that particular, painless nettle and do the polishing then using the Alleycat, rather unfortunate resin casting make a plunge moulding of it with its associated framing unfiled off out of thin white plasticard

Then use that as a template to cut out the clear pieces of the window leaving the external window framing to add to the lovely shiny well fitting kit component the way I did in this old example

[snip photo]

n.b this is not a Nimrod  ;)  but I was then able to do all sorts of little things inside the framing

[snip photo]

As you see the clear piece has a white plastic skin added that can be made to do whatever you wish

The new outer can even be painted inside to represent the internal paint job

After the show is over...

[snip photo]

Ready to fit and forget

Hope you get new blood soon, fancy being so careless...

🙄

Thanks Bill - all is now clear! Option 4 but may be promoted :) 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

How many orange Club biscuits do you get for an empty arm?

Two :D They were in short supply and had to be hunted down. Nom nom nom…

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Blood donor my arts.

He's having a special modelling arm fitted in order to sort that canopy!

[snip photo]

Now THAT would be useful! :D 

Tomo thanks for the video - classic!

Free day tomorrow.

Snow outside.

Some modelling imminent! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks Ian - now there's an idea… no, wait, rigging! Agggghhhh…

Snow? Haven't had this much for a few years:

46897935032_06159e27ed_z.jpg

Snowy in Bath by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Snowed in - yes! Gave me plenty of time to consider the options and decide to sand the living daylights out of the resin:

46035812845_0cd5b0b500_z.jpg

That's half way through when I realised that the masks needed to come off:

46949922031_431ced9c44_z.jpg

Which window is right? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Now then, remember I had to add some bits of mask around the, er, masks to fill the outer windows? You can see there on the right, the mask shape and on the left the frames on the resin. Which one is right? I shall check references. In the meantime I've sanded to this:

39985397793_b5b4da7d0d_z.jpg

Once I've decided on the correct shape I'll Micro-mesh those areas and re-mask. Once I've created some new ones.

• Like 25

Without wanting to add any more spanners to your marvellous work, Sir, but are you going to tackle the badly misshapen tailplanes the kit provides us with?  Apparently they're too long and too rounded at the tips.

• Like 1

No mercy! I fear it is the fate of many a transparency to have the bejasus sanded out of it. I'm sure you will be able to restore it to clarity. It certainly looks blended in now!

I think I would go with the resin window outlines rather than the masks, because the top frames of the resin appear to be horizontal around the corner to line up with the top of the rear window. Otherwise the pilot wouldn't be able to see much above his eye line at 45 degrees front left or front right. Google finds a "alamy stock" head-on photo that shows a pretty level set of top frames.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks Iain, PC, Giorgio and John :) 

19 hours ago, hovis said:

Without wanting to add any more spanners to your marvellous work, Sir, but are you going to tackle the badly misshapen tailplanes the kit provides us with?  Apparently they're too long and too rounded at the tips.

Thanks Chris - I'll check some reference shots. It does seem that the MR1 had the flatter tips AND some greeblies near the ends :) 

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

No mercy! I fear it is the fate of many a transparency to have the bejasus sanded out of it. I'm sure you will be able to restore it to clarity. It certainly looks blended in now!

I think I would go with the resin window outlines rather than the masks, because the top frames of the resin appear to be horizontal around the corner to line up with the top of the rear window. Otherwise the pilot wouldn't be able to see much above his eye line at 45 degrees front left or front right. Google finds a "alamy stock" head-on photo that shows a pretty level set of top frames.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - good point. I've imported an image into Silhouette Studio so I'll have a look :) 

Here's where we are after LOTS of Micro-Meshing and a coat of Aqua Gloss:

46957247091_5d1771cec7_n.jpg 46957244461_375e4e025d_n.jpg

on Flickr

As clear as I can get it I think. Happy with the blending though (until I see the faults under primer).

• Like 27

Looking much better now. As I said before, I feared,  that you have to sand the left side anyway, but indeed the right decision at all. You can polish them clear again of course. I know that, as I do so on 50 years old heavy scratched diecasts, but it take(s?) it(s?) time.  One step closer to the ceiling. Cheers

Btw : A snowman would be a nice addition. No snow here anymore now. Too warm yesterday.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

you could do an aircraft builders version of them floaty boaty builders waterline builds. 

All you'd need is the bottom half of the wings, the tailplane - stick the bomb bay directly on the ceiling, add the sticky outy bits either side of it and you're done.

A "skyline" version of a Nimrod right there in your  ceiling

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Taken by the horns and truly tamed CedB, you could be nominated for an Oscar for this thread, nomination pending.:star:

Nobel Prize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2