Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Really coming together now.  He’s putting up quite a fight but slowly but surely you’re wrestling the Mighty Hunter into submission.

AW

• Like 1

Thanks AW :) 

Some sanding this morning before I go.

Nose light before and after:

32874096098_4f9c31f51a_n.jpg 39784217183_d7c811fff3_n.jpg

on Flickr

Seam sanded and polished. I'll leave her like this for a couple of days:

46024885004_00d38e81ca_z.jpg

• Like 21

I am almost wishing I'd hung on to her Ced

Then I look at her awful immensity and remember I would much rather my friend Ced built her for us

Phewwwww

The nose is looking very excellent, nice one

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Neatly done Ced!

Glad I sold my two now, I really don't think I'd even be able to get that through the loft door - and there's no room in the loft anyway!!

Can't wait to find out what you've been up to in Brooklands.... :) 

K

• Thanks 1

I've just eaten a large and significant quantity of chocolate-covered raisins whilst catching up with your Nimrodding Ced. It's a tribute to how engaging your posts are that I've only just this minute realized that I now feel rather sick as a consequence.

Your patience with this kit and associated AM is quite remarkable mate and will no doubt lead you to the sunlit uplands in due course.

Huzzahs and related encomium! :worthy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/01/2019 at 09:02, perdu said:

I am almost wishing I'd hung on to her Ced

Then I look at her awful immensity and remember I would much rather my friend Ced built her for us

Phewwwww

The nose is looking very excellent, nice one

Awww, thanks matey :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 09:17, giemme said:

She's huge! :gobsmacked: Well done there with the nose and seam, Ced! :clap:

Ciao

know, another big one! Something smaller next time, I think. Thanks Giorgio :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 10:08, keefr22 said:

Neatly done Ced!

Glad I sold my two now, I really don't think I'd even be able to get that through the loft door - and there's no room in the loft anyway!!

Can't wait to find out what you've been up to in Brooklands.... :) 

K

Thanks Keith - see below! :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 16:52, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, looks rather splendid so far. Coming along nicely and fills your bench fom what I can see. Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 17:12, hendie said:

Nice work Ced. 

You are beginning to make me wonder if I'll ever get around to building mine   

Thanks hendie - I'm sure you'll get around to it and make a much better job! :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 20:35, Massimo said:

Looking gorgeous!!!

I'm really tempted to look for one!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Go on, you know you want to! :) 

On 15/01/2019 at 21:11, TheBaron said:

I've just eaten a large and significant quantity of chocolate-covered raisins whilst catching up with your Nimrodding Ced. It's a tribute to how engaging your posts are that I've only just this minute realized that I now feel rather sick as a consequence.

Your patience with this kit and associated AM is quite remarkable mate and will no doubt lead you to the sunlit uplands in due course.

Huzzahs and related encomium! :worthy:

Thanks Tony :) Chocolate Raisins eh? Makes a change from the sausages in this thread…

Brooklands; nice. The museum is a nice mix of motor and aviation history and it really is worth a visit IMHO. It's been nicely restored as a site and, as the home of British Motor Racing AND the site of the Vickers factory there's lots to see and, more importantly for me, a lot of atmosphere to absorb. One of my favourite exhibits is the Wellington Mk1A 'R for Roger' that was recovered from Loch Ness:

46716669852_2468debed3_z.jpg

One of only two Wimpys left (of the 11,461 built) she's the only one that was involved in the war; built at Brooklands, she's finally come home :weep:

Having survived the infamous Heligoland Bight raid of 18/12/1939, during which over half of the force of twenty-two Wellingtons were shot down, she had an engine failure during a training flight over a year later and ditched in Loch Ness. There's a 50 minute video of here recovery on YouTube and here's the bit where she breaks the surface:

Emotional. 

Beautifully restored, she now sits in a restored WWII hanger with her bay doors open - count 'em:

46716669852_2468debed3_z.jpg

The new Airfix tooling includes 'R for Roger' as one of its two schemes. I'm tempted.

More Nimrod soon, promise.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

The new Airfix tooling includes 'R for Roger' as one of its two schemes. I'm tempted.

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

know, another big one! Something smaller next time, I think

:hmmm: I don't get it .... :rofl: :rofl::rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 5

Ok,  I see, what your heart beats for the next time. The (very more smaller - ok I'm just a German; please forgive me, but it describes it much more) Wellington. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, giemme said:

:hmmm: I don't get it .... :rofl: :rofl::rofl: 

Ciao

21 hours ago, perdu said:

I do

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Go on, go on…

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ok,  I see, what your heart beats for the next time. The (very more smaller - ok I'm just a German; please forgive me, but it describes it much more) Wellington. Cheers

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Go on!!!! You know you will!!!!

Temptation is an evil thing, but she is a lovely kit.....

The Mighty Nimrod is looking great Ced.

Nice one.

Simon.

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

And Wellington to boot. Dum tish! 🧥

sorry. 😃

Do it Ced, you know we want you too. 🤩

Thanks Giorgio, Bill, Keith, Ben, Simon and Johnny :D Something smaller will be next, but I see a Wimpy in my future 🔮

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Nimrod is looking great Ced, and thanks for the Brooklands 'review'.

Thanks Cookie and you're welcome :) 

I did some more yesterday and was hoping to finish this bit this morning but, after a lousy night's sleep, 'twas not to be.

Mrs B has apparently developed a snore that sounds like someone banging on the front door - at three in the morning. It woke me up and by the time I realised what it was the adrenaline had me awake and it was 4:30 before I got back to sleep. Ho hum.

It now joins her tummy rumble that sounds like a sash window opening :shrug:

Anyhoos, something quick to avoid the bay (which needs a good, quiet few hours) - the repositioned lights. 

Any excuse to get my punch set out and fiddle it:

32899669708_9aa1f6bd38_z.jpg

They go here:

46052053504_ce4d781207_z.jpg

Anyone know why the chrome pen fizzes when applied? Wrong base I guess - this was over the Colourcoats grey I'd painted in the hole.

Some more gentle sanding required in that area too, shown up by the 'disclosing' paint.

Rats.

Away for the weekend now - more next week :) 

• Like 13

Your trip to Brooklands has reminded me that it is long since time that Sarah-Jane, Mrs Martian and I made our way down there again.

Petrol Head of Mars 👽

• Like 2

R for Roger has certainly come a long way since I visited Brooklands in the 90's! 

If you want something smaller I can heartily recommend a Nieuport 11 in 1:72!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 18/01/2019 at 09:49, Martian Hale said:

Your trip to Brooklands has reminded me that it is long since time that Sarah-Jane, Mrs Martian and I made our way down there again.

Petrol Head of Mars 👽

A nice day out for all! :) 

On 18/01/2019 at 15:19, limeypilot said:

R for Roger has certainly come a long way since I visited Brooklands in the 90's! 

If you want something smaller I can heartily recommend a Nieuport 11 in 1:72!

Ian

Thanks Ian - small, not tiny! :) 

Back from a weekend at #1 daughter's with the family to celebrate her birthday. 

Nice time together playing 'Pub Quiz' after a good dinner. 

The house has a clever remote-controlled light switch in the main room that allows four preset levels of 'mood lighting'.

It also has a motion detector that turns off the lights if it doesn't sense movement and a couple of times during the evening someone had to wave their arms about to turn the lights back on.

At one point the conversation turned to the subject of hauntings and whether, or not, the girls had seen anything in our old house.

"Don't be silly," said Mrs B "there are no such things as ghosts" - and then the lights went out. :ghost:

That's when the screaming started...

I haven't laughed so much for ages - spooky!

This afternoon we had a trip to Rutland Water and passed the 'Oakland Spitfire'. Nice to see such things about.

More Nimrod tomorrow - time to get those lights sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Talking of ghosts. 

My first posting in ATC was to Liverpool Airport in 1964 as a callow youth.

One night duty, two airfield electricians came up to the tower for a chat and a cup of tea and eventually the talk turned to the history of the airfield and the death there of Tom Campbell Black ( a contemporary of Amy Johnston and other air racers and record breakers ) in 1936, who's ghost had reportedly been seen several times. Our senior controller, a dour Yorkshireman, was on duty and was pouring scorn on the idea of ghosts when the lift ( an ancient affair which did not return to ground level until called ) lurched noisily into life, boy did we all jump. It was n't Campbell Black by the way, but another electrician wondering where the **** the other two had got to.

Carry on Nimrodding.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks John :) Ooooooooooo :ghost:

Reminds me of attending, sadly, an old mates funeral which, thanks to his character, really was a celebration of his life. His son told us how his Dad had always insisted they make tea in a pot to share the tea bags and/or have a second cup. After his demise they said that every time someone tried to make a cup of tea in a mug the kettle would fuse. Spooky!

Finally more Nimrod.

I filled in the new landing lights with UV glue:

39860210303_4abeb4edb9_z.jpg

I'd been a bit worried about this but it was easy. Holding the wing upright I splurged some glue into the hole and then, using the brush shown, removed tiny bits of glue until the lens was the right size and shape. Then I zapped it. Nice.

Impossible to photograph as the lens were really clear (see tests above) I carried on sanding the surround and arrgghhh, the sanded particles stuck in the lens. Much Micro-meshing later I think they're OK but a warning with this stuff - there seems to be a sticky residue on the surface after its zapped.

Anyone have any ideas how to clean it off?

Do other have trouble with their brand of glue?

They look OK with the masks on (provided with the Alleycat resin):

46775406042_7f837a553c_z.jpg

…but the intakes looked rough again. More sanding.

Next job was to prepare the weapons hangers:

46102634974_00e6d08796_z.jpg

There are eight required and nine in the set - lucky as one pinged off. Tip hold on to the bit you need when cutting stuff off.

Now primed and a 'discloser' (thanks Bill) coat applied to the newly sanded intakes:

39863130223_109da7abb9_z.jpg

More tomorrow :) 

• Like 13

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Some nonsense in the bay:

45933691305_1556d9580c_z.jpg

on Flickr

Nothing much to see here, move along.

Now all I have to do is cut each of the hangers to fit (no, really) and then I can wash the white a bit before continuing.

Very white inside the bay, isn't it? I used the prime portal reference shots.

Mind you, very little will be visible once the payload is in.

Hmmm...

• Like 9