Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Leave it in the stash, you have S&M to finish first. :rofl2:

Stuart

Now see what you have started @TheBaron ! I can't even get away from it on someone else's thread! Evil child!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Frustrating and disappointing, to be honest.

I had a feeling it might end up that way in the first picture you showed of it Ced, it just didn't look like it wanted to fit....

If you can't get a replacement, I'd add my vote to using the kit part with the framing sanded off and then masked and painted.

Good luck whatever!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Not a bad idea that. I know its a bad idea with my restricted workspace already chocker with builds but I am getting a siren call to get one of my Nimrods down from the stash and see how I would tackle the kit. Quick, somebody save me from myself!

Martian 👽

Go on. You know you want to. :evil_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've emailed Alleycat with a link to the post above showing the problems I'm having…

I'll persevere with the weapons bay and await a reply from Alec.

Thanks chaps :) 

• Like 3

Hello Ced. Best way to do! So no better thoughts from me than that before of course. Maybe a problem with using the resin moulds. Looks like a canopy issue with my  He-177 by Airfix in the very early 90'. Maybe leaving the moulds to fast. Sorry to see that. Can't really fix it. Good luck

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

Go on. You know you want to. :evil_laugh:

Well you're a fat lot of us aren't you Kirk! Just you wait until I get my tentacles on you: probably with some rending in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon for extra value. :fight:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Thanks Ben - I thought it might be a molding problem too; we'll see what Alec says :) 

Martian I could do with some tentacles on this one, to be sure! :D 

Thanks Adrian :) I've heard that you can reshape resin by soaking it in hot water but I'm worried the whole thing will go out of shape, knowing my luck. How hot should the water be? 

• Like 1

Does the incorrect bend actually reach the window? It looks as though it's only the frame part that doesn't fit. If so, it could just be filled!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, thanks Ian :) Answer? Probably not, just:

31719766097_7e19e554d6_z.jpg

on Flickr

So as Bill suggested I can probably fill with something and sand back. Once I work out how to hold the sides in while I'm glueing it.

I got some 'for goodness sake get on with something' mojo so decided to stick in the internals:

46627383952_951cb94eef_z.jpg

The raised cockpit floor means that the crew now look nicely through the windows:

31738250357_1f2c9ff9d0_z.jpg

One final shot before they disappear:

39715305083_cb672bd9f3_z.jpg

The front gear bay has a 'nicely open door' effect that I originally thought was a bad fit, but isn't (I hope):

45955299774_e1cd056498_z.jpg

Now for the front resin bulkhead fit. Doesn't. How about the kit part?

39715251503_9eeb2784c1_z.jpg

Fits. So I just need to use that as a template to sand this bit off the resin:

45764992435_7eddb3a9d8_z.jpg

This is all getting a bit messy as you can tell by the state of the bench:

45955420174_cdfd793304_z.jpg

Untidy for me. I like tidy.

A lot.

• Like 20

On 07/01/2019 at 20:20, CedB said:

Yes! I just need to work out how to dry fit the top with the side while holding the bottom front rear back inside bits on the outside.

Or something.

Looks like you need another pair of hands, Ced - it’s very useful for a modelling needs! 😉

On 07/01/2019 at 20:20, CedB said:

I shall wait for inspiration, hopefully soon…

Sure thing, it’s always the highs and the lows - that’s why we’re doing it.

I think you can sand the bottom edge a bit, less on the left and more on the right - it will let you to fit canopy better:

31738250357_42eb6a2b66_k.jpg

Cheers! 🙂

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nobody could ever accuse you of choosing easy subjects Mr B.

I don't have an practical suggestions about the windscreen, but " Whistle a happy tune " comes to mind. Sorry, I'll get my:coat:

Bon courage.

John.

PS my desk is very tidy at the moment because I'm not using it, the kitchen table is cluttered though.

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, CedB said:

a bit messy as you can tell by the state of the bench

What's wrong with it? You are modelling there. Btw: Taking a look at mine at the moment  you would become frantic and run away screaming.  (Maybe a therapy is following then). :whistle:

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

As a matter of interest Ced, what's the clarity of the kit canopy like as the other looks a bit 'ehh'? So on that basis, i would go down the kit canopy route, just my 2p worth.

Stuart

Add my 2p's worth to Stuarts Ced!

I've never had any luck sanding resin canopies clear, so good luck if you try, but have to say that one negates all the work you put into the drivers intercoms and raybans - not to mention their hairstyles...!!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'd add my small voice to this, in fact I would be tempted to go down my old time served route and use either/the best fitting as a buck for a beautiful clear home brew actetate moulding

I think I'd ask for some money back too, clarity counts

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

agreed with both of all of them.   I'd add bits on and sand bits off until it fitted, then plunge.

Also, looking at that, I'd bring in a backhoe to fill in those airfix trenches.    Of course, that's all easy for me to say 'cos I haven't started mine yet, but I'd be tempted to completely fill those in and add some light pencil lines just before a final mist coat. 

Even when you zoom in, you can hardly see any panel lines on this.  It was a pretty sleek aircraft.  

The only real panel demarcations were at the wing root fillet panels as they could sometimes get a bit tatty.

Nimrod_Waddington_2005_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again chaps :) 

I've given the windscreen clean with IPA and it's better. I've also fitted the suggested 0.02" packing in the top fuselage join:

46652663312_5138af7c52_z.jpg

Looking better?

The sanding on the front bulkhead also reaped rewards:

45980658994_2cae003c0d_z.jpg

… and I'm more confident of where things go:

45790038935_c17722d9e4_z.jpg

I can now dry fit with only three pairs of hands! I've put everything together dry just to prove that it will all be worth it:

45790096295_5357df60b4_z.jpg

on Flickr

• Like 22