Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

On 28/12/2018 at 16:10, Beard said:

No rush Ced, you're only on page 17! 😊

Thanks Simon :D Hopefully things will progress faster now, with fewer sausages.

19 hours ago, hendie said:

but we're running out of sausages fast!

it will be interesting to see how you get on with these Ced.  I also purchased the windscreen, but decided against the bomb bay as I fancy having a bash at that myself

Well, that didn't last long… having a go at the bomb bay? Well within your talents :) 

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Here again and what do I see, Ced? Aftermarket parts. I thought it should be oob 17 pages before.  Oob now only for sausages and chicken nuggets again? Never mind, we will all have fun with that,  I think

[snip photo]

Ps: Parts look fine and I hope you and all others  had a great christmas, Ced. Cheers

Thanks Ben. Christmas with the family - what could be better? Answers on a postcard… :D 

18 hours ago, giemme said:

:Tasty:  Lots of goodies there, Ced :thumbsup:

It's actually time to resume work, isn't it? :whistle:

Ciao

It is Giorgio, work will be resumed below :) 

16 hours ago, Kirk said:

Is "sausage-free January" a thing now, do you reckon?

I hope so Kirk, but I doubt it… :) 

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Er, shouldn't that be weapons bay? 😁

I hope you and all the other viewers had a great Christmas.

John

Weapons bay, of course. Thanks John :) 

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Ced

Oooooo the windscreen correction looks a bit nice. I will have to get me one of those.

Hope you and your viewers had a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Chris

Thanks Chris - more views of the windscreen below :) 

8 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Excellent! None of this rot-weiss or rot-gelb nonsense.

Frohes Neues und einen guten Rutsch!

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Danke! Oh I like Currywurst  Pommes Majo (Manta Teller), but that's just classic. Dir auch einen guten Rutsch und ein gutes neues Jahr. Grüße Benedikt.

Oh well, I tried. No chance of going sausage free with these German residents around… :D 

I was a bit worried about removing the windscreen from the block but it's well connected and after the first saw cut snicked away so the rest was cut with a blade:

45597400565_f8fc67522d_z.jpg

Here it is compared to the kit part:

45787055624_13b090c6ea_z.jpg

The instructions say to insert a 0.020" shim in the fuselage top to correct the width:

31570762537_1b3dff0cc8_z.jpg

… but the shape looks great.

Next step is to insert the windows. Initially I started sawing off the parts to maintain the angle on the lip:

45790204924_b486eab654_z.jpg

… but then realised they don't effect the fit:

44697042940_7d7a8b519f_z.jpg

… so I clipped the rest off with the sharp sprue cutters and stuck them in with some Araldite Crystal:

45600887655_fecd3473f2_z.jpg

The protruding windows (part #13F) only fitted when the ports were opened up a bit with a scalpel but the others clicked beautifully into place and they're nice and flush on the outside:

32641738828_6f9e687486_z.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for looking :) 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Weapons bay, of course.

I can't say I remember ever hearing it referred to as a weapons bay.  It was always bomb bay to us - maybe the lineys or armourers called it something different.

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

Araldite Crystal

now there's something new (to me anyway).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hendie said:

now there's something new (to me anyway)

Yippee

Ive got that and Hendie hasnt

Yippee!

Ced I suggest there is some width to add so might be a good idea to do what Ali suggests, just around the front of the fuselage

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Perhaps the wurst thing to befall this thread...

.... yep, poor Wurst inflicted guy,  I have to say. (What a loss. The diet kings on TV reality couldn't rescue him. Even the professional Wurst doctor on RT*2 failed. What a mess!) So a short news break:

"A guy of a big town in the southwest of England tried to build a model airplane, but his thread was infected and assaulted  by a new an never known virus named "Wurst"! If anyone except Mr. B  has any hints to stop and defeat that,  please notify Mrs. B."

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 3

On 12/29/2018 at 5:25 PM, perdu said:

Ced I suggest there is some width to add so might be a good idea to do what Ali suggests, just around the front of the fuselage

I agree with Bill there Ced, and it might be just the angle of the pic, but it looks like it'll need more than a shim in the fuselage top to get a good fit. Good luck with it!

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I agree with Bill there Ced, and it might be just the angle of the pic, but it looks like it'll need more than a shim in the fuselage top to get a good fit. Good luck with it!

So the fuselage is still open . Clear part on,  how it should be and plastic inbetween till it fit's. Nose to the aft. Would be my choice. Cheers

• Like 1

The shim of plastic card to be inserted "at the top of the fuselage" is not to go where you have put it. It's supposed to be between the two fuselage half's above and just behind the cockpit canopy.

Gondor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

The shim of plastic card to be inserted "at the top of the fuselage" is not to go where you have put it. It's supposed to be between the two fuselage half's above and just behind the cockpit canopy.

Gondor 

I'm sure, it has to be widen up on the top fuselage, but the nose would not fit either, I think. So my thought was to stretch it up also on the nose a bit. You have to stretch it behind the cockpit anyway, but the pressure will be less on that then.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Happy New Year all! I hope you had a good evening and here's to a happy and prosperous 2019!

We walked to a nearby pub/restaurant and were treated to one of our local characters playing 'Scotland the Brave' on his bagpipes while everyone sang 'Auld Lang Syne'.

He's English. Very eccentric, but he's part of the character of the area. Castleated house and all. Yes, he'd been fuelled up. 10 pints apparently.

No I didn't match him. 

More Nimrod to come but I'll bet it won't be later in the morning...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Thanks chaps!

As expected I was a little hungover on NY's day and then yesterday had to drive to the airport to pick up daughter #2 and boyfriend.

More celebrations.

I have been test fitting the windscreen over and over again and pondering… with any luck I may decide tomorrow :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK, brace yourselves, I've actually done some modelling! I know! First this year.

Nothing too taxing but at least I'm back in the saddle. What I needed to do was make this:

31656313567_d0ef671b75_z.jpg

… more like this:

nimrod_mr2_fairford_43_of_65.jpg

(Thanks to Howard Mason on Prime Portal)

Out with the dividers, measure the size of the hole and mark the new position:

32723126008_6af8235ca0_z.jpg

The sharp eyed amongst you may notice that the position I've chosen means I can saw down the existing hole. Result! It may not be accurate (I think it is) but hey, easy start to the year eh? A few careful cuts with the nano-saw, several pings and Anglo-Saxon outbursts later and the removed bits have been glued into the 'old hole' (fnaar!):

46597291411_eddc617391_n.jpg 46545594582_2287dd464e_n.jpg

Flickr

After a bit of tidying that'll do (pig) :) 

• Like 11

Thanks Bill - great minds eh? :D 

It did occur to me that not all BMers are old enough to remember 'Babe':

A 1995 (how old??!!) film about a pig that gets trained to be a sheepdog, er, sheeppig.

Cute film.

With a moral, I guess, that you can do anything, and be anything, if you try hard enough.

Sickening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill - great minds eh? :D 

It did occur to me that not all BMers are old enough to remember 'Babe':

A 1995 (how old??!!) film about a pig that gets trained to be a sheepdog, er, sheeppig.

Cute film.

With a moral, I guess, that you can do anything, and be anything, if you try hard enough.

Sickening.

Are we back on the sausage subject?

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1