Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I need some surgery still

Maybe some interlude and rescue by your wife and your family for christmas apart of the hendi spaceflight cruiser with Captain Ced?

post2.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Contemplating the vexed question of the Nimrod air intakes, does anyone have any Evergreen 1/2 inch tubing to hand? If so, how easily can it be squeezed? If it can be deformed reasonably easily, my reckoning is this:

The tubing could be a useful substitute for parts 7B/8B and 16B/17B in the kit, cut at an angle at one end to fit the intake lips on the kit wings.

Build up the space immediately behind the lower intake lip on the lower wing with plastic card or similar so the piping deforms and flattens out on contact with it when wedged between the wings. The piping may well deform on the opposite side too, but the deformation would mainly be hidden behind the intake lip on the upper wing.

Then fair in the step between the piping and the intake lip with putty, smooth it, and finish it.

The internal diameter appears to be a pretty good fit for the kit engine fan.

The piping also has the advantage that it is seamless.

So, can anyone tell me if the half-inch tubing is flexible enough for my idea, or would I need to use a hydraulic press to get the wing halves together afterwards?

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 21:26, Max Headroom said:

Sorry to hear and hope you get well soon.

Intakes are looking good. How do you intend to paint the insides? I did hear of a technique of pouring white emulsion in and swirling it around. Of course that doesn’t address the issue of the fan blades at the far end!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor :) The insides and blades are already painted! Forethought! I may put some filler down the seams and touch up later (fnaar!) 

On 07/12/2018 at 21:26, TheBaron said:

Reckon you've got that under control Ced. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony :) 

On 07/12/2018 at 21:47, Timmas said:

Maybe this. It'll go nicely with bangers...

Screen-Shot-2018-12-07-at-21-40-21.png

What the…?? :) 

On 07/12/2018 at 21:48, Matt_ said:

Just my opinion, but I think the real things look a bit more like they have a squared-off lip at the front than they actually do due to the way the shadow falls. It looks like yours may be trying to mimic that phantom profile. Like the bottom lip goes up, then rolls off flatter. Does that make sense? Hard to tell from just the front-on photo.

Makes sense and, as you say, difficult to tell the shape from reference shots but as long as they look similar I'll be happy :) 

On 07/12/2018 at 22:59, bbudde said:

Maybe some interlude and rescue by your wife and your family for christmas apart of the hendi spaceflight cruiser with Captain Ced?

post2.jpg

Awww Ben, I'm on a DIET for goodness sake! :D 

16 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Contemplating the vexed question of the Nimrod air intakes, does anyone have any Evergreen 1/2 inch tubing to hand? If so, how easily can it be squeezed? If it can be deformed reasonably easily, my reckoning is this:

The tubing could be a useful substitute for parts 7B/8B and 16B/17B in the kit, cut at an angle at one end to fit the intake lips on the kit wings.

Build up the space immediately behind the lower intake lip on the lower wing with plastic card or similar so the piping deforms and flattens out on contact with it when wedged between the wings. The piping may well deform on the opposite side too, but the deformation would mainly be hidden behind the intake lip on the upper wing.

Then fair in the step between the piping and the intake lip with putty, smooth it, and finish it.

The internal diameter appears to be a pretty good fit for the kit engine fan.

The piping also has the advantage that it is seamless.

So, can anyone tell me if the half-inch tubing is flexible enough for my idea, or would I need to use a hydraulic press to get the wing halves together afterwards?

Sounds do-able but I don't have any tubing that size, sadly :) 

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Mulliput action of the highest order. Wonderful work on those intakes. I’m looking forward to the little vent bit in the middle. 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) 

Seasonal celebrations are taking their toll - another beery night last night so little done. But…

On 03/12/2018 at 16:10, Kirk said:

Just to stray back to the Nimrod briefly, what's the plan for the landing light Ced?

I don't think I responded earlier (sorry Kirk) but here's the plan...

When talking to @azureglo recently he mentioned his use of UV glue for building up clear parts like the nose lens on his Gnat.

Worth a go?

I bought some BluFixx some time ago and had a brief period fixating on it for glueing and blending canopies etc, but then it let me down once - the canopy popped off - so it got put away in the naughty drawer.

Got it out this afternoon (titter) and tried building up a shape on an old credit card:

45331025855_e745ef6eaf_z.jpg

First attempt had a bubble but you can see how clear it is over the 'Privilege' (it's an Austin Reed card, useless now).

Looks like I can:

• drill a hole for the lamp
  • scribe the outline of the light surround
  • stick in a little disc for the lamp
  • paint inside black (cue Rolling Stones)
  • paint lamp chrome
  • build up BluFixx for the lens.

We shall see later (much later probably) how that works.

Or not.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2018 at 5:59 PM, bbudde said:

...apart of the hendi spaceflight cruiser with Captain Ced?

Not quoting the photo again- scroll up if you don't know what I'm talking about- but is that what I think it is?  A gingerbread Star Destroyer?  THAT'S cool!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

but is that what I think it is?  A gingerbread Star Destroyer?  THAT'S cool!

Yes, that' a gingerbread Star destroyer. Here called Lebkuchen. I think, it would  look nice along with Hendie's sausage Enterprise. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, bbudde said:

...I think, it would  look nice along with Hendie's sausage Enterprise...

Obviously I wouldn't want to derail the thread at all, but is that even possible? Star Destroyer = "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" vs Star Trek "Captain's log, star date [blah] (in the near future) etc".

Where's a die-hard Trekkie when you need one? Is a sausage-based Enterprise capable of inter-galactic travel + time travel?

Serious questions like these demand answers before we move on to Austin Reed.

Kirk

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Is a sausage-based Enterprise capable of inter-galactic travel + time travel?

emphatically yes!   but only with a liberal application of brown sauce!

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Obviously I wouldn't want to derail the thread at all,

me too

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bob, Ben, Kirk - serious Trekkies required! I have to say the opening shots from the original movie - you know, where the rebel ship is being chased and then the Destroyer FILLS THE SCREEN - is still one of my favourite opening sequences. You know, this bit:

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What's an Austin Reed? I've got an Austin Mini but have never heard of a Reed? Do they do a gingerbread model of one?

K

:rofl: 

Ah, Austin Reed, sadly missed. The only shop where a Gentleman could obtain suitable garb on a sensible budget. I remember the assistant there suggesting I buy larger waisted trouser and braces (suspenders for our US friends) "to allow for a good lunch". One reason for the diet is to ensure I don't need a new wardrobe. Horrible thought.

13 hours ago, hendie said:

emphatically yes!   but only with a liberal application of brown sauce!

me too

Thanks hendie :) Eat a star ship? I AM ON A DIET, for goodness sake. How many 'Syns' is one of them then?

As for not de-railing the thread… oh hardy har har!

Carry on though, it's more fun than the flipping intakes.

13 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

That would depend on the warp factor of the Cumberland sausage engaged.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ah so that's why sausages are usually bent in the middle, it's the warp factor.....

K

Ah, but are they? Not the Lorne ones... :) 

I'm getting a grip on this:

31317955117_bcb4cb7cd5_z.jpg

In one of my "Oh, get on with it for goodness sake" moods I've shaped the lights and stuck in the first bit of strip for the vent thingy:

45344293895_c902588c53_z.jpg

I've also squidged some filler inside the intake joins that will need sanding when dry.

Looks 'orrible, but I'm hoping that, as it's one of perdu's kits, all the mess will turn, magically, into a perfect representation of a Nimrod's intake area.

Don't hold your breath…

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

but I'm hoping that, as it's one of perdu's kits, all the mess will turn, magically, into a perfect representation

We all need that kind of magic, sometimes. Does it cone sin bottles?

Intakes are looking promising, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well for all the usual dissertation, sausages and gingerbread blimey, the intakes look incredibly good to me Ced.

If you need confirmation you can tell 'em, Bill likes 'em

Gingerbread sausage?

I wonder

Sounds awfully Wagamama to me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, perdu said:

Well for all the usual dissertation, sausages and gingerbread blimey

alles-hat-ein-ende-lebkuchenherz-23cm-lb

Hello Bill, I know there are recipes for Wurst with gingerbread or gingerbread sauces here, but I won't post them here. That's an awful thought for me here too like the taste of warm german Glühbier. I would never come to the idea to put almond bisquits in my kale. And that maybe for tea time? Sounds a bit pervert, doesn't it?

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

31317955117_bcb4cb7cd5_z.jpg

Wow. You’ve got a SERIOUS carpet monster infestation there Ced😱

Seriously though, the care and attention you’re putting in for the intakes bodes well for the rest of the Mighty Hunter.

Wherever it is.......

Trevor

• Like 4

Well well. It stands to attention all by itself.

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Makes sense and, as you say, difficult to tell the shape from reference shots but as long as they look similar I'll be happy

This is what I mean. The bottom lip of the intake goes smoothly back from the front in a single shallow curve.

bEuhV8gG6ZuW5hkVTiSCTrTm4vkRKC754xPuEsl5

It looks like your lip takes a pronounced kink at the front like:   

Or maybe I'm mis-reading the profile of yours?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

The only shop where a Gentleman could obtain suitable garb on a sensible budget.

Ah that's why I've never heard of them, not being a Gentleman and shopping at George at Asda.....!! :)

49 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Wow. You’ve got a SERIOUS carpet monster infestation there Ced😱

I was going to say that that gap is going to take some filling....!!

Keith

• Haha 2

I got a little worried when mention was made of Hendie's sausage enterprise....then I realised it referred to a certain sci-fi vehicle. Phew! 

The intakes are looking good Ced, time to put down the sausages and ...hmmm sausages.....I'll be back in a while.

Ian

Ian

• Haha 3

Just leaving sausage hell/heaven

I debussed in Brum city centre to be nasally assaulted by sausage central

Forgot the German Market was still on

😀

I didnt indulge but i did get my phonephixed

• Haha 5

Thanks Giorgio, Bill, Teuchter, Ben, Trevor, Keith, Ian, Kirk and Johnny for the kind comments on the intakes, although…

10 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Well well. It stands to attention all by itself.

This is what I mean. The bottom lip of the intake goes smoothly back from the front in a single shallow curve.

bEuhV8gG6ZuW5hkVTiSCTrTm4vkRKC754xPuEsl5

It looks like your lip takes a pronounced kink at the front like:   

Or maybe I'm mis-reading the profile of yours?

Matt may have a point. You can see that the front of the intakes is thinner than the trunking. If I take too much off though we'll be back to the kit plastic and it'll all be for nought. I'll try taking a bit off the front tomorrow.

I have driven myself mad (Nurse!) trying to stick bits of tiny strip into the vents but I'm almost happy with this:

45542077284_f4bc04d536_z.jpg

After some trials and lots of Anglo-Saxon I found the only way I could do it was to stick the bottom to the crossbar (nasty), let it dry and then cut in and glue the tops. Here's the other side half done:

45353042905_8911c1c06a_z.jpg

Rough still but getting there.

• Like 11