Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

BTW, the large white space in the Martians post is available for rent. Also at additional cost.

I thought he'd started with his thread redecoration thing again - that being the white room....

Keith

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Kirk said:

My favourite version of White Room is the Hugh Cornwall / Robert Williams rendition on Nosferatu. Didn't realise it was a cover until years later

Heretic!  Clapton is God 🎸

AW

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Matt_ said:

I'm starting to worry that this thread may be beginning to affect my life outside scale modelling. I think I'm becoming obsessed.

7Q6USbSKtYTgEttZR39AXBlD8TNNdIJ8ON_YxdPb

Uh-huh... Matt, you'd get total psycho if you ever came down here to taste our grilled chorizos

chorizos.jpg

And that's not to speak about trying our grilled bife de chorizo 

Bife-de-chorizo.jpg

And what to say about the delicious grilled bife de lomo

excelente-bife-de-lomo.jpg

Just one bit and you'd be around the bend, I think... Basket case!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 4

Fret ye not chaps, I escaped (in 40 minutes - result!) only to go over the pub…

Trevor and Steve, I think you're after:

(Other That's Life talented pets available)

But then, in an unusual burst of mojo before the pub, this happened:

44393087610_5cdb51cb3c_z.jpg

Close enough?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Well well. Will you take a look at that. We finally get back to modelling, and it's a triumph. I think it's captured the lines on the original pretty well. But enough about the Enterprise, your intakes also look OK, Ced. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Interesting thread. Looks like the sausage trick worked though would that make the Nimrod a 'banger'? Definitely a good 'mash' up of everyone's suggestions but lets not get 'mushy' over all that, minding our 'peas' and Qs. Looks like the 'gravy' for sure.

For some reason I am craving lunch down the pub.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, CedB said:

44393087610_5cdb51cb3c_z.jpg

Close enough?

I hate to be the critic Ced but I think the left one as we look at it could just do with a little more smoothing at the bottom edge as it looks a touch 'ragged', for want of a better word.

14 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

The missus has just gone shopping and asked me what I want for tea - no guesses needed as to what I asked for.... this thead has become a prime example of subliminal advertising...!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Result!

Keep the sausages and very poor substitutes coming chaps, this tale of Nimrodry is due to become legend

Why we need the end of a leg is however beyond me...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good enough for me. Hope you'll be fitting that 'grill' to that middle hole :whistle:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - I shall (go to the Ball Cinders) :) 

1 hour ago, Matt_ said:

Well well. Will you take a look at that. We finally get back to modelling, and it's a triumph. I think it's captured the lines on the original pretty well. But enough about the Enterprise, your intakes also look OK, Ced. 

Thanks Matt - temporary… out to the pub last night to catch up with a mate who's been to the Galapagos so, again, a little fragile this morning. I wonder what causes it? :D 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Spot on, I'd say! :clap: :clap: In fact, which one is the picture of the real thing?? :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, very kind :) 

46 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

Interesting thread. Looks like the sausage trick worked though would that make the Nimrod a 'banger'? Definitely a good 'mash' up of everyone's suggestions but lets not get 'mushy' over all that, minding our 'peas' and Qs. Looks like the 'gravy' for sure.

:rofl2:

34 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Not a banger, then.

:rofl2:

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I hate to be the critic Ced but I think the left one as we look at it could just do with a little more smoothing at the bottom edge as it looks a touch 'ragged', for want of a better word.

The missus has just gone shopping and asked me what I want for tea - no guesses needed as to what I asked for.... this thead has become a prime example of subliminal advertising...!!

Keith

Quite right Keith - now the 'rough shape' has been approved I need to go back and smooth everything to a polished surface. Soon. I mean, look at the tops - rough as a rough thing :) 

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Result!

Keep the sausages and very poor substitutes coming chaps, this tale of Nimrodry is due to become legend

Why we need the end of a leg is however beyond me...

Thanks Bill - your approval is important as it was you're kit. :) 

I shall progress bits while waiting for the AlleyCat stuff…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was sort of worried about that

"What's afoot" does mitigate my worries a tad, I did have in mind that at the top of a leg can be found a rump

At the bottom maybe a pump (other unassorted footwear is available) and as we know rudeness is to be discouraged

What a mod might make of rumpy...

Shudders to think, I do

Anyroadup smooth away Sir Ced, smooth away

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What's a foot....

I would imagine that it's the primary datum reference unit for the Nimrod design that arose from ASR381 - although on reflection it is more likely that this is inches. Even though decimalisation day happened on 15 Feb 1971, and the 1st Nimrod entered service in 1969 the chances of even the latest incarnation (the MRA4, commissioned in 1988) being specified in mm seems pretty slim to me.

So, to answer Bill's question of why we need a leg end, I would say quite simply: "It's a convenient multiple of the standard units used to provide some level of component interchangeability of parts on the aircraft on which this model is based."  Obviously.

*Thanks to Wikipedia for the spurious facts supporting this spontaneous brain-fart.

Edited by Kirk
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

I would imaging that it's the primary datum reference unit for the Nimrod design that arose from ASR381 - although on reflection it is more likely that this is inches. Even though decimalisation day happened on 15 Feb 1971, and the 1st Nimrod entered service in 1969 the chances of even the latest incarnation (the MRA4, commissioned in 1988) being specified in mm seems pretty slim to me.

So, to answer Bill's question of why we need a leg end, I would say quite simply: "It's a convenient multiple of the standard units used to provide some level of component interchangeability of parts on the aircraft on which this model is based."  Obviously.

*Thanks to Wikipedia for the spurious facts supporting this spontaneous brain-fart.

Give him an inch and he'll take a yard....

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Fnaar, snurf and various other suitable retorts :D 

Now:

46170462622_728bfd0e72_z.jpg

T'other side:

44404026950_a65ca9ed2f_z.jpg

I need some surgery still but, with the vents and lights to do, I think I'll come back later for a final clean up.

Lights next.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, CedB said:

I need some surgery

Sorry to hear and hope you get well soon.

Intakes are looking good. How do you intend to paint the insides? I did hear of a technique of pouring white emulsion in and swirling it around. Of course that doesn’t address the issue of the fan blades at the far end!

Trevor

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I think the real things look a bit more like they have a squared-off lip at the front than they actually do due to the way the shadow falls. It looks like yours may be trying to mimic that phantom profile. Like the bottom lip goes up, then rolls off flatter. Does that make sense? Hard to tell from just the front-on photo.

• Like 1