Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

I'm proud of you chaps - on what other forum would members fill a page while the builder was otherwise engaged? Keep it up - oh no, wait, better have some modelling in here…

On 03/12/2018 at 15:51, Biggles87 said:

You should try some of the french offal sausages ( and I don't mean awful, although they are ), I tried one at  BBQ once and one mouthful was enough.

I have been fishing also, to empty the downstairs loo which has a leak, in preparation for the arrival of the plumber.

John 

On 03/12/2018 at 16:10, Kirk said:

Bad advice, @Biggles87. I tried the French offal sausages and can confirm that they are indeed awful. Shall we say I didn't hang on to the mouthful for long...

Just to stray back to the Nimrod briefly, what's the plan for the landing light Ced?

On 03/12/2018 at 16:21, Beard said:

Andouillette... one of the worst things I've voluntary sat still for.

Ah, Andouillette :sick:

A family story revolves around teaching our children to try anything once (except incest and Morris Dancing; I've done the latter) and not be fussy eaters.

On holiday in France we got tickets for an outdoor 'spectacular' and went to a local restaurant before the show.

The locals were all tucking in to the 'the special' with gusto - you guessed it, Andouillette.

My youngest ordered these and when they came, took one mouthful and spat it out.

A telling off from Dad ensued… 

"You can't spit things out Sophs, it's bad manners"

"But Dad", she sobbed, "it's horrid".

"Oh, don't make such a fuss. Here, I'll swap it for my steak".

Took a mouthful.

Spat it out.

Horrid.

Apparently they're intestines chopped up and put into intestines, with added intestines.

Offal isn't the word for it.

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nimrod seems to be rattling along quite nicely Mr B.  The guttering can do one. Stupid guttering. I know your pain. I have an old Victorian (house) with metal gutters, this rain is playing havoc. Good luck dear boy.:rain:

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) I share your pain. Cast iron gutters are lovely, but they leak at the joins. I'm considering repairs (elsewhere) with Milliput - it dries under water apparently.

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Umm, not wishing to sound like a smarta**e but if you cleared the blockage wouldn’t the gutter drain itself?

True. But to do that I'd have to climb out of the dormer window onto the bay roof three stories up. Bottom clenching and best left to the professionals who I hope will have a better solution to the 'hole in the lead that drains through a pipe inside the roof and then out the side into the drainpipe'.

I have been on the roof before. Once. But I'm older and wiser (and stiffer) now. :( 

6 hours ago, HP42 said:

Meanwhile, back at the Nimrod (remember that?), I'm inclined to stick my fingers in my ears and go 'La-la-la can't hear you' as I don't think the intake shape difference is so massive when standing 2 or 3 ft away. I always do my aircraft wheels down, so I guess FOD covers might mask a few sins if applied. 

Quite right Phil and a tempting idea, but it was Bill's kit so I want to (at least) try :) 

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

@HP42 UK bacon is back, US bacon is belly, which is much more fatty.

Now, where's that Nimrod? 🤔

Ian

Thanks Ian - I've always wondered too :) 

23 hours ago, hendie said:

Nimrod?... where?

2 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Exactly. Nobody wants foreign objects in their sausages. 

Come on @CedB, save us from ourselves. Show us your Nimrod.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

I've come back from my lie down only to find that things here are getting worse:

"C'mon Ced, show us your 'rod!" (I paraphrase)

Really? Surely this kind of encouragement will have him sniggering all day and the chances of any model aircraft building will be negligible.

All this gutter talk of sausages & rods has to stop, gents. 🤦‍♂️

(Snurf snurf) :wicked: 

Finally, as promised, I present SAUSAGES and a Nimrod! Note that, just for hendie, the English sausages have been modified (after mixing) to those Scottish ones:

31237362577_2ed8abfc55_n.jpg 46176845811_77c27e834a_n.jpg

… or something close. As Jamie said some pages back:

The very lip at the extreme front isn't too far away in shape IMHO. What Airfix and everyone else gets wrong is the shape of the trunking behind it. On the kit the shape of the extreme lip of the intake is continued back to the engine compressor faces. On the real thing the bottom of the trunking goes uphill behind the opening and the curved bottom flattens a bit - this is to make more depth for the wing spars.

OK then. Bit of Milliput on the crafting tool, press on the bottom of the intake, flatten off and smooth:

32305283618_102e99231f_z.jpg

How's that look? Needs smoothing when it's dry - we're out to dinner tonight so will have overnight to go off.

Note also that I've filled the old landing light position which also needs sanding later.

Did I mix up too much Milliput? Of course:

31237634187_29157eb8cb_z.jpg

Flickr

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

I'm popping up to the German market in Birmingham for a bratwurst thanks.

Had a very good one on Saturday at the Christmas Market in Frankfurt (whose organisers also run the one in Brum - twin towns, no less).

And one of the stalls at my local market serves a cracking good Feuerwurst.

Chances are I will indulge again tomorrow, just before an evening of murder mystery at my local library.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

You do realise that it could be a sausage blocking your drain pipe Ced, a lot of them mentioned...

Hello Simon, I'm glad that he didn't say: "Die verstopfte Regenrinne ist mir jetzt wirklich Wurst! Lass sie tropfen! Ehrlich! Absolut Wurst!! I have to do other things in my life than that, like that Nimrod for example. Or putting up  the Big Big Loader"

Cheers :whistle:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, CedB said:

How's that look?

pretty good - but look at the 'vertical' walls of the intakes as well, particularly the inboard intake, inboard wall

more sausages anyone?

I'd fill that wing root lamp opening as well.  Looking at the photo, the lamp is really all in the upper half of the wing (and much smaller)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Had a very good one on Saturday at the Christmas Market in Frankfurt (whose organisers also run the one in Brum - twin towns, no less).

And one of the stalls at my local market serves a cracking good Feuerwurst.

Chances are I will indulge again tomorrow, just before an evening of murder mystery at my local library.

I'm not sure that Feuerwurst is on the menu at any of the food stalls in Birmingham, but on the name alone I'll ask!

• Like 1

Everyone always mixes to much Miliput! Its a cunning plan by the manufacturers to ensure they meet their sales targets.

Cynical of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Everyone always mixes to much Miliput! Its a cunning plan by the manufacturers to ensure they meet their sales targets.

Cynical of Mars 👽

I’m sorry but there’s no way Milliput sausages are ending on my plate. :huh:

Trevor

• Haha 5

Intakes look promising, Ced :clap:

Don't know what is wrong with you and sausages, guys - that said, I do realize I'm quite lucky I can have Italian food any day any time.... :rofl:

(Runs away, ducks and crawls left....)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

I'm not sure that Feuerwurst is on the menu at any of the food stalls in Birmingham, but on the name alone I'll ask!

A touch spicier than the average merguez, if that helps. The Autumn Market in town usually has a stall that serves them with chili sauce, which makes them a distinctly hotter dog.

In Birmingham, keep an eye open for a Halbmeterwürstchen, which is a Bratty half a metre long (even folded in two, it protrudes massively from each side of the bread roll in which it is served).

My inner pedant once prompted me to ask a stallholder why it was a Würstchen (little sausage) even at that length, and was told it's the girth that determines a Wurst, not the length.

Fnarr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Simon, I'm glad that he didn't say: "Die verstopfte Regenrinne ist mir jetzt wirklich Wurst! Lass sie tropfen! Ehrlich! Absolut Wurst!! I have to do other things in my life than that, like that Nimrod for example. Or putting up  the Big Big Loader"

Cheers :whistle:

♫Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei♫

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So you’ll be banning salami when you’re President of Italy, eh Giorgio?  That should go down well...

I didn't mention salame, I was actually referring to foreign (from my point of view) sausages...

:rofl:

(runs again)

Ciao

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

♫Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei♫

Ok you want it the hard way of german  (trash parts of the late Neue Deutsche Welle /NDW) music, which is / could be much better than that. Cheers to Wiesloch:

Edited by bbudde
Not Frankfurt (Sorry!), but Wiesloch near Heidelberg. Never heard of it by now.
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

But what if you fancy a kebab?

Trevor

There's plenty around here, too.

Besides, I do produce (my company, that is) kebab cooking equipment - I had enough for a couple of lifespans! :frantic:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Quite right Phil and a tempting idea, but it was Bill's kit so I want to (at least) try :) 

I hope I am not about to get the blame for andouilette or the intakes

Personally I would Milliput the upright portion of the intakes too, (if you REALLY felt you needed to interfere with Airfix's marvellous sculptures) to bring them closer to that squarish shape

The lower section of the intake is definitely better shaped now, would I have?

Not sure

• Like 5

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I do realize I'm quite lucky I can have Italian food any day any time.... :rofl:

Seeing as how you live in Italy, it would be a pretty poor show if you couldn't!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

A touch spicier than the average merguez, if that helps. The Autumn Market in town usually has a stall that serves them with chili sauce, which makes them a distinctly hotter dog.

In Birmingham, keep an eye open for a Halbmeterwürstchen, which is a Bratty half a metre long (even folded in two, it protrudes massively from each side of the bread roll in which it is served).

Fnarr.

Oh, I've seen those! 

And was tempted, but truly I resisted. 🙏🙏

"My inner pedant once prompted me to ask a stallholder why it was a Würstchen (little sausage) even at that length, and was told it's the girth that determines a Wurst, not the length."

You've also got the measure of a Ced thread !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

"My inner pedant once prompted me to ask a stallholder why it was a Würstchen (little sausage) even at that length, and was told it's the girth that determines a Wurst, not the length."

Hello, as a german I can say, that you really can't define that in a this or that way.  The ending -chen  is usually used for smaller things ( Haus/ Häuschen;  Fahrrad/ Fahrrädchen), but can also be used to express minimisations ( Schatz/Schätzchen; Blume/Blümchen). Sometimes for ironic purposes ( e.g. for a big villa: Schicke Hütte/schickes Häuschen). Also pejoratively ( Du bist so ein armes Würstchen!).  And now for the Wurst itself:  One Bratwust is 100gr, when you buy one here. Below that they are usually called Würstchen  ( c.a. 50-60 gr. quite apart from the lenghts or girth) I would say. Above that 100 gr it's called a Wurst here  Again quite apart,  if it is a one 100 gr Bratwurst or 1kg Salami, which has to be cut. That's the rule here. An execption is a trademarks, special names  etc. like Nürberger Rostbratwürstchen, maybe Halbmeter Würstchen ( which is Wurst then). And last but not least colloquially at a Barbeque "schmeiß ich noch ein paar Würstchen auf'n Grill", which are a 100gr Bratwurst or a much smaller  but longer 100 gr. Bratwurstschnecken So you can use both words anyway and I would know what you mean. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Mind. Blown. 🤯

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe there's some grand plan from The Creator and all this talk of sausages is something that's coursing through the very fabric of the universe at this time? I have no idea. What I do know, is that I've just got in from work to find I've been served bangers and mash for dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5