Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

4 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

CedB you have a knak for doing everything perfectly.  have you ever been to Yorkshire Air Museum???  theve got a nimrod.

Thanks Brock :) No, I haven't been to the Yorkshire Museum but it's on my list of places to visit.

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good assortment of tools on display there Mr B, and a good result achieved.

I hope your Alleycat stuff arrives soon, I'm also still waiting for my Spitfire fuselage from Eduard, getting quite impatient now.

Good luck with the wings.

John

Thanks John :) Wings… scary.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm no expert, but I think that's more like it! :thumbsup: :clap:

Great overall surgery job, BTW :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

In an effort to avoid the wings I've started the wheels and constructed the front wheel bay. 

As there are no location holes anymore (they're in the floor, now out of reach) I've cut off the lugs and stuck it together on some 0.8 Plasticard:

46025248662_b682e55bd9_z.jpg

46075356741_319d747e30_z.jpg

Now painted, I'll set it aside until later.

I read somewhere on here that you shouldn't glue the u/c together yet so that it can be retracted to avoid knocking it off (fnaar!)

Done :) 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

I think sorting the intakes out looks to be a worse job than it is It should be relatively simple, albeit time consuming job to re-sculpt them with Miliput.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

RB Productions 'Contour Saw' - the set's worth every penny.

Invaluable items.

I think it was you put me onto them Ced some time back.

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Wings.

They have intakes on them.

That aren't right apparently.

Oh good grief…

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think sorting the intakes out looks to be a worse job than it is It should be relatively simple, albeit time consuming job to re-sculpt them with Miliput.

Martian 👽

looks easy from over here!

continue...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

think sorting the intakes out looks to be a worse job than it is It should be relatively simple, albeit time consuming job to re-sculpt them with Miliput.

As I would do : Treat them with a file (crude to fine) A bit of milliput then and filler up to fine or superfine, whatever you got in your stash. The kit has a solid base for that  I think. Cheers

• Like 4

Good idea to wait for the Alleycat stuff before you close up the fuselage. The instructions for the Alleycat  windscreen advice you to insert a thin sliver of plasticard between the fuselage halves just behind the cockpit to widen the fuselage slightly. This will make the Alleycat canopy/windscreen conform to the fuselage width better. Easier to do this when you have the Alleycat part at hand so you can check how much the fuselage needs to widened.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nestles? You're building with chocolate?

Coaming or Glareshield. Either will do, though the latter is a bit transatlantic.

Oi! Are you accusing me of being " a bit transatlantic "??? Is that even legal? There must be a support group somewhere.... it's not a choice, it's the way I am!

Ian

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nestles? You're building with chocolate?

Coaming or Glareshield. Either will do, though the latter is a bit transatlantic.

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh, Ced could make some tiny little things for us with that, So we don't need more pop corn.

https://whereismyspoon.co/chocolate-crossies/

Ok, I'm decadent, I know.🙄

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We have a plateful* of those chocolate cracknels in the fridge.

Her indoors made them at the weekend. Chocolate overload!

*Well, there are some left after the kids etc raided the plateful!

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Well, I'm not surprised about that. :whistle:

Coaming, thanks Pete :) 

As for all this talk of chocolate, you're all mean. As an attempt to stop some 'sleep apnoea' I've put myself on a diet. As we all know, men put on fat around their tums and on their tongues. Nothing worse than a fat tongue.

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian - some help with the shape later will be appreciated :) 

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant surgery Ced. For a split second I thought you were doing this one wheels down. Then I thought better of what I thought. 😁

keep it up good buddy.

John. 

Thanks John :) YES, wheels down, bomb bay open and maybe even dropped flaps (although that could be tricky).

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Invaluable items.

I think it was you put me onto them Ced some time back.

giphy.gif

Thanks Tony :) Love 'Young Frankenstein' - Eyegor, what a hoot.

17 hours ago, hendie said:

looks easy from over here!

continue...

Easy for some 'proper modellers'. For us kit bashers, a challenge! :) 

17 hours ago, massimo said:

Nice interior and crew!!!:clap:

Thanks massimo :) 

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

As I would do : Treat them with a file (crude to fine) A bit of milliput then and filler up to fine or superfine, whatever you got in your stash. The kit has a solid base for that  I think. Cheers

Thanks Ben :) I have Black, standard and fine Milliput (of course) but putting it on may be trickier than just buying it!

11 hours ago, Sten Ekedahl said:

Good idea to wait for the Alleycat stuff before you close up the fuselage. The instructions for the Alleycat  windscreen advice you to insert a thin sliver of plasticard between the fuselage halves just behind the cockpit to widen the fuselage slightly. This will make the Alleycat canopy/windscreen conform to the fuselage width better. Easier to do this when you have the Alleycat part at hand so you can check how much the fuselage needs to widened.

Thanks Sten - helpful. I'll hold on for the bits then :) 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

I don`t know, I stay away from the thread a couple of days and chaos and comedy join.

All is looking good there Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) I know, what a crowd eh? Keeps me amused though…

55 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Oi! Are you accusing me of being " a bit transatlantic "??? Is that even legal? There must be a support group somewhere.... it's not a choice, it's the way I am!

Ian

Not me! :) 

Avoiding Intakes Chapter 5.

Problem - my mid-range specs that I wear most of the time have broken; so much for the bendy metal bridge then. Tried to stick them with CA:

32215244108_89ca88faf6_n.jpg 45175097765_8c531221e6_n.jpg

No good. I may need to resort to type (mild English eccentric) and apply some tape. Or sticking plaster, that's traditional eh?

Anyway, wheels chopped off and painted:

46086771121_e183d16cb1_n.jpg 45365586814_a29ab4cf18_n.jpg

Can't avoid the intakes any longer.

But wait, perhaps I should paint the insides first? Marked up and splodged with H130

44273609550_8d2c02b1d1_n.jpg 46039998222_fe71e01d88_n.jpg

I'm not sure how many of those dents are ejector marks and how many are 'features'. Won't be seen on the ceiling anyhow.

Time to bite the bullet and sort these out:

44269157720_82989f642c_z.jpg

… so that they look more like these:

Comet-Intakes_03.jpg

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Problem - my mid-range specs that I wear most of the time have broken; so much for the bendy metal bridge then. Tried to stick them with CA:

32215244108_89ca88faf6_n.jpg 45175097765_8c531221e6_n.jpg

No good

I'll bet if you apply superglue to your neb first, then rest the glasses on the proboscis, then they'll never come apart... or off!  guaranteed!

36 minutes ago, CedB said:

Time to bite the bullet and sort these out:

I think I'd approach this in a couple of stages..... apply a thin sausage (2 or 3 mm diameter) of milliwhatever around the inside of the intake and blend the outer edge of the millistuff to the existing intake (ignore the inner part  of the sausage and the actual intake for the mo'

Once hardened (the millistuff!), I'd then try to get the aperture shape correct. Once I was happy with the intake shape, I'd then slap more milliputian magic stuff in behind your sausage and blend that into the inside of the intake

Does that make sense to anyone (or is it only in my head?)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ced, For the intakes: They seem too be to flat onthe top So milliput on that. The inner space between them  looks ok for me. The air grill maybe too round. The landing light should be just much nearer to the outer intake. So you can get the height of it and some plasticcard on the outer side. The intake is too round at the bottom and should be filed flat in the middle and filled with milliput again. Then fill some milliput on the inside. They are too wide and should be more shallow/and narrow  and narrower to the rear .And file the inner ones to the fuselage then more flat to get a more square look. That's all from me on that. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1