Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

On 19/11/2018 at 12:40, keefr22 said:

If you really wanted to, you could also paint some white rectangles on their knees to represent their kneepads....!! :) 

(but as they'll be invisible I'll forgive you if you don't!)

And the drivers would, I think, be wearing either white or green gloves - they were mandatory when flying the Bulldog so I would guess it would be the same on a front line jet....

K

Thanks Keith - ah, pilot white gloves, the ones with 'L' and 'R' on them eh? It has been done (for the pilots) :D 

Knee pads? Contentious… and not obviously moulded on my crew. I'll miss 'em this time if you don't mind…

On 19/11/2018 at 12:43, perdu said:

Needs a lot more off the hairstyles Ced, most heads are quite flat sided aren't they...

Keep it up 

Keith, kneepads?

Do they have to get on their knees to service them too?

😀

Do you mean their map pockets, I'd put them on too

More off the sides Sir? Something for the weekend?

I needed a model - who's got a normal head around here? Not me for sure:

45244571284_13bbbbbd28_z.jpg

What a bonce. Yes, I have been compared to the Tefal men; the old ones from the 80s, not the new sexy Kelly Brook version.

Note also the new haircut - finally I've realised that 'less is more' and just gone for a number 4 all over. I now have to decide whether my monthly visits to the gorgeous Julie are worth it… probably, is the current emotion.

Anyway, one pilot had his hair styled for comparison:

45983100551_007aa092f4_z.jpg

…and then both were trimmed and repainted, one with a Claudia Winkleman fringe (lazy) and the other with a sort of parting thingie. I also tried Giorgio's tip and black washed one to see what it was like:

31044402947_df6322a447_z.jpg

Can you tell which one?

Now I just need to make some earphones. Gulp.

On 19/11/2018 at 13:33, bbudde said:

Ah, did you mean image noise (Farbrauschen)?  Ced could get a visual tinnitus while painting this big one with too loud colours .:hypnotised::whistle:

Edit: Couldn't resist Ced. Styx are one of my favourites since my youth and the vinyl "Caught in the act-live" was my second record with 11 or so after Santana's "Abraxis" with ten. It has the best version of "Boat on the river" by far till now and only on that vinyl. So please don't get snowlind by/with/on? your work btw:

Thanks Ben :) Snow blind is a bit noisy for me but Boat on the River was more my thing…

On 19/11/2018 at 13:37, general melchett said:

Apols Ced, Darling has been quite remiss, (he's never been the same since returning from an all-inclusive holiday to Lesbos with his 'close' friend, Bernard) ..the 'few other things' should be decals, 'awful', (MA sets),  fin leading edge extension being too thick, (Alleycat replacement). The cockpit floor sits too low, (just a matter of repositioning above location ribs), the fin top 'canoe' is too short and tailplane 'finlets' the wrong profile, (easily dealt with), other than that it's perfect, except for everything else... 

On 19/11/2018 at 15:12, stever219 said:

If you’re going for weapons bay doors open don’t use the parts provided by Airfix as they’re not deep enough.  For an accurate depth just saw the “closed” parts in half lengthways (IIRC this lack of depth contributed to the “the undercarriage is too tall” debate on a number of fora when the kit first appeared.  With the “open” doors as provided by Airfix installed there was too much daylight between the bottom of the doors and  the ground.).

If you're sticking to the MR. 1 programme General Melchett’s comment re. the finlets is superfluous; they only started appearing  when the AAR probe was installed.  Also aircraft pre-wingtip ESM pod fit lacked the vortex generators on the outer wing panels so they can come off.i. In their place however you will need to install a long shallow fence just inboard of the outer end of the aileron, and running for most of the chord of the wing ahead of the aileron.

If I’ve not dissed you off too much with my comment above General Melchett, please could you give me an idea of by how much the fin-top canoe is under-long?  I’ve an idea that it’s around a scale foot, but I could be wrong and I might be lying......

On 19/11/2018 at 20:20, general melchett said:

Good lord no!... I was just checking through my notes and thought I'd mention the shortcomings of the kit in general. As you say, the early birds don't require the finlets, good point on the vgs on the outer wing panels too. As far as I'm aware, and I think Baldrick will back me up on this as I had him shimmy up the beast at Bruntingthorpe for a quick gander, the 'canoe' is about 3mm too short at its front end (8.5 ins in 1/1 scale, so yes you were lying). The infill falls roughly in line with the leading edge of the fin extension so adding a plastic or resin fillet would go some way to improving the look of the thing.

There's a fin top 'canoe' fairing on a pair of sticks at Waddington in the WAVE area and as it's very local to me I may well break out the tape measure and have at it......plus of course it's quite handy when it rains!

Thanks Melchie and Steve :) 

I must admit this sounds like 'proper modeller' stuff and may be beyond a mere kit basher like me, but (as it's a gift from perdu) I'll do my best.

I've made a list… at least I can do that… and will post some 'research' as I get to the bits.

Er, what's the 'fin extension'? Is it the bit in front of the fin?

45983624211_943b0d3b2f_z.jpg

Ah, the Bruntingthorpe Nimrod, here in the driving rain on my visit this year with Phil (click to watch the video):

32112868628_83efa70cb1_z.jpg

Bruntingthorpe Nimrod by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Noisy! Not an MR1 though?

The floor is easier. I can see it's too low:

45934095872_0f08c80fc2_z.jpg

"…just a matter of repositioning above location ribs…" - like this?

31044344407_54be37ce93_z.jpg

If I do that I'll need to shorten the floor and the bulkhead too. Oh, and cut the downward locators.

Want to get it right… :) 

• Like 15

Good progress Ced. In my opinion (and it is only that) the heads still look a fair bit too big - like they have cloth helmets on over non-regulation afros - but it's all going in the right direction.

I wonder if for the earphones, you could file a length of sprue into shape then cut off slices? Stretched sprue or flattened fine solder headband? Maybe the same for the boom microphone with a blob of black on the end for the wind shield? Not sure how you'd reproduce the ubiquitous Dave Clark logos though... :winkgrin:

Kirk

• Thanks 1

In at the (relative) beginning of what is promising to be a masterclass in building a Nimrod. I’ll settle down to watch the build if you don’t mind as I spent eight years working on them at Kinloss, St Mawgan and 51 Sqn.

• Like 1

The flying clothing colour/design depends to some extent on the period you're depicting. My first flying suit ( mid 60s  issue ) was blue/grey with one knee pad  but by the time I left ATC gliding in the mid 70s they were issuing green ones with two knee pads. The gloves also changed from white to green during this period, except for chopper pilots who kept the white ones so that hand signals could be seen more easily.

Why's the floor red? Not saying its wrong, just asking.

John

• Thanks 1

Lino John, so we're told

Still needs a fair bit off the sides Ced, but hey

Who's going to see them?*

*(Red rag to a Ced I'm advised...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ced the fin extension is indeed that chuffing great triangular affair ahead of the fin proper and was introduced to the Nimrod due to the extra depth of the front fuselage when the weapons bay pannier was added.

I got round the floor raising aspect of the build by using the kit part as a template to cut a replacement floor from 40 thou (1mm) plasticard.  Whilst the template was in place I marked the positions of the seats and other fittings.  It took about 20 minutes altogether but saved all of the faff of constructing a new nose wheel bay roof..  I had already attached the flight deck bulkhead and used this to provide a stable reference whilst marking out for the seats etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The gloves also changed from white to green during this period, except for chopper pilots who kept the white ones so that hand signals could be seen more easily.

Or ex-fast jet drivers posted to be Bulldog instructors who guarded their white gloves with their lives! :)

• Haha 5

Hi Ced,

I finally manage to catch one of your builds in an early stage, though already on page 5! :)

This is a very interesting aircraft and the kit seems to be well detailed out of the box, despite the shortcomings already pointed out by others.

Good progress till now! Will be following with interest.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kirk said:

Good progress Ced. In my opinion (and it is only that) the heads still look a fair bit too big - like they have cloth helmets on over non-regulation afros - but it's all going in the right direction.

I wonder if for the earphones, you could file a length of sprue into shape then cut off slices? Stretched sprue or flattened fine solder headband? Maybe the same for the boom microphone with a blob of black on the end for the wind shield? Not sure how you'd reproduce the ubiquitous Dave Clark logos though... :winkgrin:

Kirk

Thanks Kirk :) Heads still too big? Look at the model in the photos above - enormous! I'd already started the earphones (see below) and 'great minds think alike…'!

23 hours ago, SandyBay said:

In at the (relative) beginning of what is promising to be a masterclass in building a Nimrod. I’ll settle down to watch the build if you don’t mind as I spent eight years working on them at Kinloss, St Mawgan and 51 Sqn.

Aww thanks Sandy, but if you're hoping for a Masterclass I fear you may be in the wrong thread :D 

Do feel free to chip in with any stories (always appreciated) and advice - before I make the mistakes please!

19 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The flying clothing colour/design depends to some extent on the period you're depicting. My first flying suit ( mid 60s  issue ) was blue/grey with one knee pad  but by the time I left ATC gliding in the mid 70s they were issuing green ones with two knee pads. The gloves also changed from white to green during this period, except for chopper pilots who kept the white ones so that hand signals could be seen more easily.

Why's the floor red? Not saying its wrong, just asking.

John

Thanks John - I am, of course, depicting the period when I got the suit colour right :wicked: 

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Lino John, so we're told

Still needs a fair bit off the sides Ced, but hey

Who's going to see them?*

*(Red rag to a Ced I'm advised...)

Thanks Bill - I maintain that the crew were ex-Tefal workers…

Who's going to see them? No-one when it's on the ceiling but, for now, you fussy lot! :D 

18 hours ago, hendie said:

'cos it was.   The track mat (?) used throughout the aircraft was a deep red/maroon color

[clip photos]

Thanks hendie - nice pictures and the first one has given more info on the i/p placement :) 

I think I need to wait for the AM before deciding exactly where it fits so that there are no gaps.

16 hours ago, stever219 said:

Ced the fin extension is indeed that chuffing great triangular affair ahead of the fin proper and was introduced to the Nimrod due to the extra depth of the front fuselage when the weapons bay pannier was added.

I got round the floor raising aspect of the build by using the kit part as a template to cut a replacement floor from 40 thou (1mm) plasticard.  Whilst the template was in place I marked the positions of the seats and other fittings.  It took about 20 minutes altogether but saved all of the faff of constructing a new nose wheel bay roof..  I had already attached the flight deck bulkhead and used this to provide a stable reference whilst marking out for the seats etc.

Thanks Steve :)

New nose wheel bay roof? Er… dammit, Melchie didn't mention THAT! Looks like I'll have to bodge something when I get to that step.

Step 3 it is.

The next one.

We're on step 2 still and on page 5 already… oh good grief, get on with it Ced!

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Red lino and blue chairs, who did the colour coordination on this plane Stevie Wonder.

Taking shape dear chap, with a lot of advice coming in I see too.

Simon.

:rofl2:

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Or ex-fast jet drivers posted to be Bulldog instructors who guarded their white gloves with their lives! :)

From fast jets to Bulldogs? Hmmm, no wonder they wanted something to remind them :) 

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Ced,

I finally manage to catch one of your builds in an early stage, though already on page 5! :)

This is a very interesting aircraft and the kit seems to be well detailed out of the box, despite the shortcomings already pointed out by others.

Good progress till now! Will be following with interest.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime - nice to see you :) 

By the way, I've found Pete's thread that summarises the problems with the build. Better take notes and scribble on the instructions. Nice one @Pete in Lincs

So, earphones. Madness.

I got out some rod of the right(ish) diameter and sanded the edges a bit flat, then drilled a hole through it and inserted some wire:

44181184840_a515b088e3_z.jpg

Then I sawed off another slice, trying to get a similar size (failed) and drilled a small hole into (but not through) that and glued the wire in:

32126091308_abd823f8e3_z.jpg

I stuck one earphone to the side of the pilot's head:

45085476635_5617125bbf_z.jpg

…and when that was dry pulled the wire over his head and glued the other side, applying enough TET to melt the plastic so I could squish it on:

31059071827_fb4b5b1d4d_z.jpg

You can see where this is going I hope. Spare wire to be shaped as a boom mic and chopped off.

These things are tiny.

Driving me insane.

Nurse!

• Like 11
  • Haha 8

Looking brilliant Ced, might break mine out of the stash. I think I'll do a Falklands bird. I've got much of the aftermarket though are the intakes and fin correction really worth the effort? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

You can see where this is going I hope. Spare wire to be shaped as a boom mic and chopped off.

These things are tiny.

Driving me insane. 

Nurse!

Haha Ced, this looks funny and reminded me of my really old school days in physics with obviously this:

Dosentelefonat.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 6

This has been like returning to a fevered dream in which parts of an aircraft float into view and float off again. All very Rimbaud and hashish and completely beguiling.

The Ced Cyberman Rimnod Headphone technique has been duly written down and placed in the bag marked 'Swag'. Great idea milord. :thumbsup2:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Like your way of depicting head sets - I'll file that away for future reference if you don't mind?

Roger

Thanks Roger - file away, glad you like them :) 

10 hours ago, HP42 said:

Looking brilliant Ced, might break mine out of the stash. I think I'll do a Falklands bird. I've got much of the aftermarket though are the intakes and fin correction really worth the effort? 

Thanks Phil, although there's a long way to go yet! :) 

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Haha Ced, this looks funny and reminded me of my really old school days in physics with obviously this:

Thanks Ben - I remember playing with tins and string; it worked! :) 

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Smart thinking on those earphones, Ced! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Goodness Ced, I'd forgotten that build. Well, it was ten years ago!

I'm glad that some of it was of use to you though.

It was, thanks Pete. You may see my red notes scribbled on the instructions in the background later :) 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Great catch up Ced. Loving the cans on the crew and the internals look the bomb. Ahh I need to get back to the bench soooon. 😎

Thanks Johnny :) Yes, get back to the bench man!

With the glue dry I could file down the 'cans', bend the mike, trim it off and paint it:

31066959047_5d275ffd57_z.jpg

Left one maybe a bit big in that shot but looks fine (and tiny) in real life (whatever that is). I just dobbed some more paint on for the mike shield thingie.

Here with this mate:

45094380665_2bb3e10551_z.jpg

No, I'm not going to do another pair of headphones.

Yes, he has got ears, under his non-regulation 'Beatle Haircut'.

"Am I hurting you sonny? I should be - I'm standin' on yer bleedin' hair".

"Sorry Sergeant".

Onwards!

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

Thanks Ben - you're a sadist! :D 

To sway my decision Is dry fitted the cockpit into the closed fuselage and the Engineer (?) can't be seen so no headphones, sorry, I value my sanity too much!

With that decision out of the way the crew could be fitted:

46011653651_f8ca6c24d1_z.jpg

Oops, pilot needs a bit of touching up:

44196061760_ef3220b1d5_z.jpg

Done.

Looks like the Engineer's going to lose his feet at some point:

45100153625_35b700b1c7_z.jpg

Of course I'll ask him to move his feet before any surgery, but past experience shows me that they just don't listen…

Next job? Front wheel bay. Needs painting first.

I had planned to paint them up and find some reference shots of the u/c while the paint was drying but then I noticed the ejector marks:

45288005924_0f24cf46ff_z.jpg

Groan. Mojo killer.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2018 at 11:29 PM, CedB said:
On 11/18/2018 at 4:35 PM, hendie said:

Well, you learn something new every day don't you.  I've been modeling for a couple of years now and I never realized that white paint was noisier to spray than other colors.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Have you never heard of loud colours?

Oh come on chaps! no-one ever heard of white noise!

I have to agree about north Wales, I once befriended a Blodwyn up there and she took all my money.

This one seems to attract the 'rivets in the wrong place there, Sonny Jim' comments. 

As far as I understand it, this will be strung up to a surface slightly above FFL, so if it looks Kay then it is.

I have to say that painting the carpet is a bit like buying a leather suite and then not taking off the plastic wrapping though, nevertheless an enjoyable ride Ced

Box On

Strickers

• Haha 2