Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

Hey CedB great topic I’ll be watching with interest.

love the Nimrod I miss it being in the skies so much.

this is a wonderful kit I made one years ago.

your wise to get the xtradecal set as the kit ones are terrible to use and poorly printed. They are translucent and stick almost instantly and you can’t move them. 

One thing to watch for is the internal fuselage spacer segments which are actually a little to wide making the fuselage halves not fit as well as they do without. Aside from that it’s a great model.

enjoy :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am also working on a white/gray Nimrod.  About two years into the build, I am now trying to refashion the intakes and adjacent searchlights.

IMG_2155

• Like 5

On 14/11/2018 at 09:32, Whofan said:

A bit of 1 : 1 scale modelling now!

Thanks John - hopefully when the shed is built I can get the gardening stuff out of the garage! :) 

On 14/11/2018 at 09:37, Matt_ said:

I'll pull up a chair if I may :popcorn:

Just one thing I'm not clear on quite yet: Why are you replacing the air crew with the blues bothers? 🤔

Thanks Matt :D 

On 14/11/2018 at 10:01, Orion said:

Hello CEDB,

Two Nimrods going at the same time on this website.

I follow both of them with interest.

Thanks for sharing your WIP with us.

Regards, Orion

Two Nimrods? Aha, found George's MR2 over here - thanks for the pointer :) 

On 14/11/2018 at 12:55, Kirk said:

The ejector seat garters are straps around the tops of the calves (and sometimes above the knees??) that link into these types of seats to ensure that when the pilot leaves the aircraft they take their lower limbs along with them and don't make a mess of the (soon to retire) instrument panels. Airfix mould a little band onto their pilots for the zealous modeller to paint blue or green as appropriate. For such installations, there's usually a slender blue coloured band that links the seat to the cockpit floor via D rings in the garters and some clever snubbers and which often get draped over the control column when the cockpit is unoccupied.

No ejector seat, no garters. Just paint the coveralls green and nobody here will say anything. Probably.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, great info :) 

On 14/11/2018 at 13:35, keefr22 said:

Don't be too sure.....!! :rofl2:

Ced, when she's at ceiling height of 500 ft with everything dangling on her slow flypast, how much of the crew will we be able to see.....??!! With no bonedooms and green growbags they'll do fine!

K

Thanks Keith - progress below :) 

On 14/11/2018 at 15:36, Foghorn Leghorn said:

:popcorn:

Welcome FL :) 

4 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Hey CedB great topic I’ll be watching with interest.

love the Nimrod I miss it being in the skies so much.

this is a wonderful kit I made one years ago.

your wise to get the xtradecal set as the kit ones are terrible to use and poorly printed. They are translucent and stick almost instantly and you can’t move them. 

One thing to watch for is the internal fuselage spacer segments which are actually a little to wide making the fuselage halves not fit as well as they do without. Aside from that it’s a great model.

enjoy :popcorn:

Hey Rob! I'l watch out for the spaces, thanks :) 

27 minutes ago, chrish said:

I am also working on a white/gray Nimrod.  About two years into the build, I am now trying to refashion the intakes and adjacent searchlights.

[snip photo]

Thanks Chris - moving the lights eh? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that too! :) 

Found some maroonish paint for the floor:

32053206918_f586008520_z.jpg

… and rounded off another head:

44108363860_b491b6457d_z.jpg

Primed with Ratskin Flesh as usual.

Mojo low at the moment, sorry.

• Like 12

Great stuff Ced, I've also got one of these in the pile. I managed to purloin one at Cosford last year for a much bartered £60...mind you, that was only coz it had every aftermarket item available included so was something of a bargain. I'm also going for an early one and to that end picked up the early MR.1/R1 Model Alliance sheet at SMW, to go with the stencils. Gawd knows when I'll get time to build it but it'll be interesting to see how you get on with yours. Good luck and Tally Ho...

I am now trying to refashion the intakes and adjacent searchlights.

Along with the nose light, repositioning the thrust reversers and a few other things......nothing's straightforward any more, (was it ever?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John - hopefully when the shed is built I can get the gardening stuff out of the garage

altogether now - 

Oh no you won't!

Edited by Whofan
Spelling
  • Haha 1

Two points to watch. Re check the instructions, and tick off the parts as you fit them when it comes to the fuselage. It is easy to miss stuff, and make sure it is all in place before you fit the wings, and take care with the alignment at this point.

When painting the intakes, after painting the silver compressor faces, I stuffed foam ear plugs as far back as they would go, and sprayed the white. When dry, I pulled them forwards so the grey could be sprayed. Simple and effective.

When using the kit decals, like the stencils, they will tend to silver, even if you apply them with Klear. Replacements are the better option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Not bad for a lo-mo-jo moment mate, doing OK

Thanks Bill :) 

22 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great stuff Ced, I've also got one of these in the pile. I managed to purloin one at Cosford last year for a much bartered £60...mind you, that was only coz it had every aftermarket item available included so was something of a bargain. I'm also going for an early one and to that end picked up the early MR.1/R1 Model Alliance sheet at SMW, to go with the stencils. Gawd knows when I'll get time to build it but it'll be interesting to see how you get on with yours. Good luck and Tally Ho...

Along with the nose light, repositioning the thrust reversers and a few other things......nothing's straightforward any more, (was it ever?)

Nose light, thrust reversers, few other things :shrug:Got it, thanks General!

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

Thanks John - hopefully when the shed is built I can get the gardening stuff out of the garage

altogether now - 

Oh no you won't!

Oh yes I will! I'm fed up climbing over Mrs B's gardening stuff to get to my tools (1:1 types), today the leaf blower. Leaves now blown. At one point I had to have a strong word with the wind as it was blowing in the wrong direction and my work was coming to nought. Thankfully it obliged. I now have my annual 'leaf blower stiff muscles'. Rats. :) 

16 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Two points to watch. Re check the instructions, and tick off the parts as you fit them when it comes to the fuselage. It is easy to miss stuff, and make sure it is all in place before you fit the wings, and take care with the alignment at this point.

When painting the intakes, after painting the silver compressor faces, I stuffed foam ear plugs as far back as they would go, and sprayed the white. When dry, I pulled them forwards so the grey could be sprayed. Simple and effective.

When using the kit decals, like the stencils, they will tend to silver, even if you apply them with Klear. Replacements are the better option.

Thanks BW, will do! Great tip on the ear plugs :) 

A little progress today. Decided on the colours for the flying suites (H30 washed) and painted up the seats and console:

31000946087_7320af8d53_z.jpg

Instructions say the seats are H109 (WWI Blue) which I don't have so that blue is an iModelKit mix. Good enough? The seat covers should be darker, and fluffy. :hmmm:

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Well, you learn something new every day don't you.  I've been modeling for a couple of years now and I never realized that white paint was noisier to spray than other colors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh yes I will! I'm fed up climbing over Mrs B's gardening stuff to get to my tools (1:1 types), today the leaf blower. Leaves now blown. At one point I had to have a strong word with the wind as it was blowing in the wrong direction and my work was coming to nought. Thankfully it obliged. I now have my annual 'leaf blower stiff muscles'. Rats

Ced,

Please don't mention leaf blowers. And leaves. I hate the b********** things.

So far I've spent 4 afternoons clearing leaves from borth front and the garden. There are at least another two sessions worth of leaves left on the damn trees in our garden, and the b************* neighbours' trees.

You must have a very strong voice, because when I tell the wind to s********* well stop blowing, it raises itself to a gale. Fortunately, clearing leaves so often means I don't get leaf blower stiff muscles.  

Of course, when you get the nimrod finished, you won't half have a powerful leaf blowewr hanging on the seiling !

• Haha 5

Hello Ced, nice start on the interieur.  Can't comment on any of the colours, but Humbrol wine red is a cool colour for that. Was at the Möhnesee yesterday as I visited my Mum in Anröchte, where I grew up and it was a very strange experience on this usually big and mighty lake nearby in all this lovely autumn colours (err ja,  but normally not in mid Nov.). Cheers

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Well, you learn something new every day don't you.  I've been modeling for a couple of years now and I never realized that white paint was noisier to spray than other colors.

Have you never heard of loud colours?

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Decided on the colours for the flying suites

Flying suites? I knew the Nimblobs were famous for their 'packed' lunches (and three course dinners!), but didn't realise they had first class lounges as well....!! :)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, hendie said:

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Thanks Hendie and BW - you jokers! :D 

6 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

Please don't mention leaf blowers. And leaves. I hate the b********** things.

So far I've spent 4 afternoons clearing leaves from borth front and the garden. There are at least another two sessions worth of leaves left on the damn trees in our garden, and the b************* neighbours' trees.

You must have a very strong voice, because when I tell the wind to s********* well stop blowing, it raises itself to a gale. Fortunately, clearing leaves so often means I don't get leaf blower stiff muscles.  

Of course, when you get the nimrod finished, you won't half have a powerful leaf blowewr hanging on the seiling !

Sorry John. I know what you mean though - I used to hate the job using my B&D 'Garden Vac'. That broke and I invested in a Bosch ALS 2500 which this de-boxing video describes as "A Lazy Man's Dream" - perfect for me then! Blow all the leaves into a pile(s), swap the tool from blow to suck (takes a while, including fitting the bag) and you're done in minutes. Chops up the leaves too. Nice :) 

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, nice start on the interieur.  Can't comment on any of the colours, but Humbrol wine red is a cool colour for that. Was at the Möhnesee yesterday as I visited my Mum in Anröchte, where I grew up and it was a very strange experience on this usually big and mighty lake nearby in all this lovely autumn colours (err ja,  but normally not in mid Nov.). Cheers

Thanks Ben - I hope the reservoir fills up soon :) 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Flying suites? I knew the Nimblobs were famous for their 'packed' lunches (and three course dinners!), but didn't realise they had first class lounges as well....!! :)

K

Typo. Doh! I really should check my posts :) 

Darker blue and fluffy?

45221427514_9caa9570bd_z.jpg

Flickr

First time I've used the thick paint coat and sponge technique:

45033238395_86ffa59599_z.jpg

Now to remove the control columns… more thick connectors:

45896273082_c23bf36f3f_z.jpg

Soon nano-sawed off, cleaned up and painted. They'll be on here when dry:

31006654267_4c3569e502_z.jpg

Some progress, at last.

• Like 15

Been there. Done that. It is a true struggle - but it is really worth it! It is a huge bird, and a real showstopper! I am following this with great interest - some day I will build another one. I think...

14835256550_d2eb4973cc_c.jpg

• Like 16

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That looks cool, may come in very useful for my car model seats! Thanks Ced, not heard of it before!

K

You're very welcome Keith. Different sponges give different 'textures' of course, and you have to make sure the paint doesn't 'self level' afterwards - not a problem with Humbrol acrylic! :) 

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice interior work

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

Been there. Done that. It is a true struggle - but it is really worth it! It is a huge bird, and a real showstopper! I am following this with great interest - some day I will build another one. I think...

Nice one Bjorn - she's a beauty :) 

It's occurred to me that my lack of mojo may not be too much of a problem as I'll have to wait for the bomb bay and windscreen. Relax then.

I have applied the i/p decal:

45903981372_40372202ba_z.jpg

Still wet. I had trimmed the transfer a bit but if I was doing it again I'd go around the edges with a blade. It's a tight fit.

Crew are progressing too:

45229215544_016881d8cf_z.jpg

Big decision next - what colour to do their hair.

Oh, and making some earphones. Maybe.

• Like 12

If you really wanted to, you could also paint some white rectangles on their knees to represent their kneepads....!! :) 

(but as they'll be invisible I'll forgive you if you don't!)

And the drivers would, I think, be wearing either white or green gloves - they were mandatory when flying the Bulldog so I would guess it would be the same on a front line jet....

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Needs a lot more off the hairstyles Ced, most heads are quite flat sided aren't they...

Keep it up 

Keith, kneepads?

Do they have to get on their knees to service them too?

😀

Do you mean their map pockets, I'd put them on too

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Do you mean their map pockets, I'd put them on too

Kneepads Bill, we called them - they're clear plastic faced pockets with a piece of white card under it, that also held a note pad or your flight reference notes. You could write secret stuff( like nav routes or radio freqs)on the clear plastic with a chinagraph so if you were unfortunate enough to find yourself down in bandit country (e.g North Wales!) you could wipe them off!

K

• Haha 3

On 11/18/2018 at 8:52 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Ah, did you mean image noise (Farbrauschen)?  Ced could get a visual tinnitus while painting this big one with too loud colours .:hypnotised::whistle:

Edit: Couldn't resist Ced. Styx are one of my favourites since my youth and the vinyl "Caught in the act-live" was my second record with 11 or so after Santana's "Abraxis" with ten. It has the best version of "Boat on the river" by far till now and only on that vinyl. So please don't get snowlind by/with/on? your work btw:

and the other one:

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 1

Nose light, thrust reversers, few other things :shrug: Got it, thanks General!

Apols Ced, Darling has been quite remiss, (he's never been the same since returning from an all-inclusive holiday to Lesbos with his 'close' friend, Bernard) ..the 'few other things' should be decals, 'awful', (MA sets),  fin leading edge extension being too thick, (Alleycat replacement). The cockpit floor sits too low, (just a matter of repositioning above location ribs), the fin top 'canoe' is too short and tailplane 'finlets' the wrong profile, (easily dealt with), other than that it's perfect, except for everything else... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If you’re going for weapons bay doors open don’t use the parts provided by Airfix as they’re not deep enough.  For an accurate depth just saw the “closed” parts in half lengthways (IIRC this lack of depth contributed to the “the undercarriage is too tall” debate on a number of fora when the kit first appeared.  With the “open” doors as provided by Airfix installed there was too much daylight between the bottom of the doors and  the ground.).

If you're sticking to the MR. 1 programme General Melchett’s comment re. the finlets is superfluous; they only started appearing  when the AAR probe was installed.  Also aircraft pre-wingtip ESM pod fit lacked the vortex generators on the outer wing panels so they can come off.i. In their place however you will need to install a long shallow fence just inboard of the outer end of the aileron, and running for most of the chord of the wing ahead of the aileron.

If I’ve not dissed you off too much with my comment above General Melchett, please could you give me an idea of by how much the fin-top canoe is under-long?  I’ve an idea that it’s around a scale foot, but I could be wrong and I might be lying......

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good lord no!... I was just checking through my notes and thought I'd mention the shortcomings of the kit in general. As you say, the early birds don't require the finlets, good point on the vgs on the outer wing panels too. As far as I'm aware, and I think Baldrick will back me up on this as I had him shimmy up the beast at Bruntingthorpe for a quick gander, the 'canoe' is about 3mm too short at its front end (8.5 ins in 1/1 scale, so yes you were lying). The infill falls roughly in line with the leading edge of the fin extension so adding a plastic or resin fillet would go some way to improving the look of the thing.

There's a fin top 'canoe' fairing on a pair of sticks at Waddington in the WAVE area and as it's very local to me I may well break out the tape measure and have at it......plus of course it's quite handy when it rains!

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2