Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wonderful to see so many comrades suggesting massive extra detailing duties Ced.

No slacking now! :whip:

One of my favourite pieces of classical music. Elgar (and Vaughan Williams) were true masters imo.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I have no idea how to measure out 44.2% H73.

Ced, the track mat (floor covering) was (usually) only replaced during majors and then only if we had to.  It was the same stuff from the flight deck all the way to the back door

I'd just pick a dark maroon color and go with it - then weather it with lighter, sandy colored washes.

As Bill and others have stated - it was white and one color of grey.

Good luck with the intakes - what an awful mess airfix made of them

5 hours ago, CedB said:

But wait… no bone domes either? Perhaps I should be using something else?

what's that expression again.... if I wanted to go there, I wouldn't start from here

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Theres a picture of the crew back there

Just saying...

Ah, but maybe they'd just been hanging about in the dirty mess and just wandered over to the Blob for a piccie and weren't going flying that day. The plot thickens.... :)

(seriously Ced, Bill's right, and apart from the intercom headsets that, I believe, was flying garb. Oh, and I forgot again - probably with Ray Bans for the drivers...!!)

K

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ah, but maybe they'd just been hanging about in the dirty mess and just wandered over to the Blob for a piccie and weren't going flying that day. The plot thickens.... :)

(seriously Ced, Bill's right, and apart from the intercom headsets that, I believe, was flying garb. Oh, and I forgot again - probably with Ray Bans for the drivers...!!)

K

Not forgetting the fluffy dice in the pit...

Simon.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I came across this picture which is appropriate given the crew discussion above.

They must have ticked the box for the deluxe interior option to get the powder blue sheepskin seat covers! (Includes carpeted floor mats!)

Mike

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Oh well. He hasn't even started it yet and I still get page 3. 

he'll be finished by page 5 though!

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And a further issue being it's in the cabin, totally invisible on a Nimrod doing a low ceiling flypast....!! :rofl2:

But doesn't Ced already have mirrors all over the ceiling? Or is that in the other room?

• Haha 4

Lovely kit this, I made one as a grey/white MR1,

and have another in the stash that I'll do hemp. Watching this build with interest.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Thanks 1

I have an old "How to build model aircraft"  book that has a section on converting the old Airfix Comet into a Nimrid. Lots of balsa if I remember correctly. I'm sure this will be easier!

Ian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Cue that there Mr Punch

"That's the way to..."

Way to go Ced, off at a gallop toute suite

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Thanks Bill :) I need to find some better reference shots though as, right now,I can't see much difference…

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Forgot to mention no ejector seat restraint gaiters half way up the legs either....!!

K

Eh? What, where? :) 

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced don't you just have ordinary folks sitting around in overalls?

By the way, I took riskier chances with herself on Saturday but I think she's just a great big pussycat really

;)

( when herself reads this, she will, I would like to thank her for not knee-nutting me for that. And tell her it was a real pleasure to see her, Neil and Andy at the Bomber Command tables)

Now that got the old grey matter stirring… I don't think I have RAF blokes in overalls so I had a look in the crew room and past builds. I did buy some PJ Productions civil pilots but I've used one for Brian in the Rapide and the other for me in the Wacky Wabbit. I still have one left though (see below) :) 

19 hours ago, Timmas said:

Being fundamentally lazy, when I build mine, I'll most likey drop in a couple of PJ Promotions' resin pilots and keep the kit ones for spares!

On a wider note, I'm following this with real interest Ced; it's looking cracking so far and I'd always planned to have mine with an open bomb bay too (I'm a 'ceiling-hanger' as well). I've only just been aware of the imposing beast bult by @Lord Riot and am sorry I didn't get to follow it at the time   @Lord Riot

"…fundamentally lazy…" - I like your style Timmas! I'm probably going to use a PJ and I'm tempted… I'll see how I get on butchering the kit ones :) 

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Excellent, watching along, one day my nimrod will be built

Thanks Stu, welcome! :) 

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Oh well. He hasn't even started it yet and I still get page 3. 

Hello Linda.....

Ian

Oi! What about all that chopping of the wings for intake tests? That counts, doesn't it? A bit? :) 

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Milliput and a huge file to get seamless intakes? Even more fun! :Tasty:

Ciao

Fun? Oh good, for one minute I thought it was going to be a load of pain… :) 

15 hours ago, hendie said:

Ced, the track mat (floor covering) was (usually) only replaced during majors and then only if we had to.  It was the same stuff from the flight deck all the way to the back door

I'd just pick a dark maroon color and go with it - then weather it with lighter, sandy colored washes.

As Bill and others have stated - it was white and one color of grey.

Good luck with the intakes - what an awful mess airfix made of them

what's that expression again.... if I wanted to go there, I wouldn't start from here

Thanks Hendie :) Maroonish, got it. I need some help on the intakes and some better reference shots - help!

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Theres a picture of the crew back there

Just saying...

15 hours ago, hendie said:

sshhhhhh - don't make it too easy for him!

Oh, you two! And now there's another one… I have started recruitment (see below) :) 

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

K

Ray Bans? I may have some news for you (see below).

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Not forgetting the fluffy dice in the pit...

Simon.

Wow, tough crowd :) 

13 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Sorry I'm late..can't think of a believable excuse. Whilst researching converting a Mach Comet to a Comrod I came across this picture which is appropriate given the crew discussion above.

RAF_Pilot_Training_in_Cockpit_of_Nimrod_

Thanks Scimitar - nice shot, just what I need! But where are Simon's fluffy dice? :D 

12 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Will look at it by chance. The Airfix one should be a good kit all in all. But I never knew, if I like it or not till now. Strange plane. Sleek and aerodynamic in general but with a big belly pan. Cheers

Thanks Ben - there is something about the Nimrod eh, especially in grey and white :) 

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

They must have ticked the box for the deluxe interior option to get the powder blue sheepskin seat covers! (Includes carpeted floor mats!)

Mike

Thanks Mike - ah, but no leather… an 'SE' rather than 'SEL' (if you're in to German cars)

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think it would be rude not to use those undercarriage parts.

Martian 👽

Indeed Martian, they shall go to the ball (Panto tickets bought yesterday. Peter Pan. Looking forward to it) :) 

8 hours ago, hendie said:

he'll be finished by page 5 though!

But doesn't Ced already have mirrors all over the ceiling? Or is that in the other room?

Page 5? Pushing it. I bet we're on page 5 before I get the wings on…

To quote Bob Monkhouse "I do have mirrors in the bedroom, oh yes. During love making I hold them over her face to make sure she's still breathing…" What an artist, sadly missed.

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Lovely kit this, I made one as a grey/white MR1,

and have another in the stash that I'll do hemp. Watching this build with interest.

Thanks LR and welcome - I've been using your great build for reference and tips and linked to it earlier; very nice. Any more pointers appreciated :) 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have an old "How to build model aircraft"  book that has a section on converting the old Airfix Comet into a Nimrid. Lots of balsa if I remember correctly. I'm sure this will be easier!

Ian

Balsa… I remember Balsa :) 

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Ced

And now a Nimrod !! Good job !!

Did you get in Telford ?? Was there niceties to see ??

Did you saw some friends ?? Any photos ??

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC - I did get to Telford and met up with the crowd at Bill's table - a great gathering! Hopefully there'll be some pictures on the Telford 2018 thread. You were missed!

Progress next. Some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've started surgery on the crew this morning:

44056952270_a2e16c1695_z.jpg

Here's a close up showing the last of the PJ civilian pilots (ooh look Keith, Ray Bans!) that I think I'll use to keep Keith happy. Or at least amused. The kit pilot has had some work to remove his bone dome:

45149438824_acba77d53b_z.jpg

Getting there. Heads are a weird shape aren't they, but of course they vary from person to person...

Note the pathetic attempt to prepare for a disappointing result later. I'm nothing if not devious…

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, CedB said:

That's it until later. I have a man coming around to look at erecting the new garden shed. I'm not convinced I can get the base right and, from experience, the felt will probably fly off in high winds if I stick it on. The door's on the wrong end too so we need a little path extension.

A bit of 1 : 1 scale modelling now!

• Haha 2

Hello CEDB,

Two Nimrods going at the same time on this website.

I follow both of them with interest.

Thanks for sharing your WIP with us.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

The ejector seat garters are straps around the tops of the calves (and sometimes above the knees??) that link into these types of seats to ensure that when the pilot leaves the aircraft they take their lower limbs along with them and don't make a mess of the (soon to retire) instrument panels. Airfix mould a little band onto their pilots for the zealous modeller to paint blue or green as appropriate. For such installations, there's usually a slender blue coloured band that links the seat to the cockpit floor via D rings in the garters and some clever snubbers and which often get draped over the control column when the cockpit is unoccupied.

No ejector seat, no garters. Just paint the coveralls green and nobody here will say anything. Probably.

Kirk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kirk said:

No ejector seat, no garters. Just paint the coveralls green and nobody here will say anything. Probably.

Don't be too sure.....!! :rofl2:

Ced, when she's at ceiling height of 500 ft with everything dangling on her slow flypast, how much of the crew will we be able to see.....??!! With no bonedooms and green growbags they'll do fine!

K

• Like 1