Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

One day last year, in June I think it was, we had a family get together. On the way back we stopped off at a model show and met up with our own @perdu. My sister and brother-in-law both agreed that he was a nice man. A very very nice man. While sitting in the cafe I noticed a Nimrod amongst the models hanging from the ceiling. "If you want one of those, I have one for you" said Bill. And so the story started...

At this point I must declare that I've just returned from SMW 2018 and I found it tiring. To relax myself this evening I have had wine. And watched 'London Has Fallen'.

I'm therefore not to be trusted, but wanted to start this thread to calm down before bed.

Finally Bill and I were able to meet up and exchange this:

45102706504_af70a7b543_z.jpg

Oh yes, another (big) beauty. Thank you Bill. That said, I was a bit suspicious of the look on his face when he mentioned not the Xtradecal transfers that would allow me to do an RAF version, but the stencils. You know how much I love stencils:

44010663850_50934bfcb9_z.jpg

Bill did point out that the kit transfers are dotty:

30887555027_1cc250f098_z.jpg

… so he'd included the Xtradecal 72080 sheet:

44914212065_8b72d46e01_z.jpg

I'll do some research but Bill, if you have a favourite, let me know. 

i also took the kit to the Sovereign Hobbies stand to make sure I have the Colourcoats I need. Thanks to @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies for pointing me in the right direction, again.

Some shots of what we now know (thanks to Hendie) are parts trees. Sprues if you will. Clear parts:

44914681675_7275763881_z.jpg

… and others:

45778675102_1d0d82d4e8_z.jpg

45827845651_5a3c11015f_z.jpg

45827857561_711dbb94d1_z.jpg

44011216990_96db693028_z.jpg

30888169617_46ff74d96a_z.jpg

The parts look well moulded and nicely detailed:

30888147827_2f213f6958_z.jpg

44914744805_e116c14876_z.jpg

… and (important for me) there are crew:

30888175057_85625e9394_z.jpg

I'll start on this once the Wellesley is out of the way, hopefully in a day or so.

Comments and company welcome, as always :) 

• Like 42

Ooh this is going to be good.  Do the Fincastle Winners one, reminds me of going to an air show here at RAAF Edinburgh (a sadly rare event) many years ago which took place during a Fincastle Trophy competition.  In addition to the locally based RAAF Orion’s there were an RNZAF P-3 Orion, Canadian Argus and a Nimrod.  I remember that the Nimrod was very noisy, looked sinister and made the Orion’s and Argus look dull and pedestrian.

AW

• Like 3

Very nice indeed Ced.  Bill is a very nice man.  I have one in the stash too and will watch with interest.  I have read that you will possibly need to space out the front part of the top of the fuselage so that the canopy section fits as I think it is slightly wider and this will save you lots of sanding later. I am no expert though so please check this out. 

Good luck with your build. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have one in the stash ( for about eight years now ) which I'm seriously contemplating selling on the grounds that I'll probably not get around to building it with all those Spitfires to finish. I'll watch yours and see how you get on before I make a final decision. 

I've heard that it can be a bit of a pig, but I'm sure you'll beat it into submission.

John

• Like 1

Nice to meet you all at the show over the weekend!

The crewmen look great. Haven’t seen that type before.

If you aren’t going to back-convert it to a Comet can we at least have an open weapons bay pleeeeeze? :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

… and (important for me) there are crew:

30888175057_85625e9394_z.jpg

Who I believe are dressed nothing like the way the guys and girls who flew Nimblobs did....!! 

Can't wait to see the B-36 - Nimblob formation....!!

Is the bar open yet...?

Keith

• Like 1

Good point re: crew fashions

Should a asked Debs on Sattiday mate

I 'like' the original clean white and grey, for which @Jamie sold you a tinnie of Light Aircraft Grey on Saturday

Which (of course) makes the Fincastle Trophy winner a potential destination but hey mate, it is you that needs to have her on the ceiling

Having her on the ceiling with her bomb bay open looks like a very crowd pleasing option

I vote for OPEN BAY

I hope madame ze Shootmeister® is watching and could give you the assists you might need in info on crew states

• Like 1

Oh well, stuck at the bar again I suppose, mind you I did bring along some more nibbles this time.

We ran out on the Wellesley , sorry about that.

Ah the mighty Nimrod,I remember seeing one of those fly over , very impressive indeed.

I am in for this, is Keef bringing the beer?

Simon.

Bomb bay open is my vote.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CedB said:

At this point I must declare that I've just returned from SMW 2018 and I found it tiring. To relax myself this evening I have had wine. And watched 'London Has Fallen'.

I found myself in a similar position on Saturday night, but relaxed by being taken out with Mrs H for a nice Chinese meal by daughter and her chap.

I readily confess that last night I also relaxed with wine and London is fallen, a film of enjoyable tosh, but Ced, I have to take you to task.

Please, slow down! 

We can't keep up. I'll repeat that. We can't keep up. The scrum at the back is - well, a scrum. Some of us haven't taken the kits out of the Hannants bag and you're off with the nimrod!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So kay chaps I have a box of knock off Pringles from Aldi's, plenty to go round, but they don't half make you thirsty, packed in here innit?

Bomb bay + detail +stencils + smoke coming out of the Speys

Box on

Strickers

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice to meet you all at the show over the weekend!

The crewmen look great. Haven’t seen that type before.

If you aren’t going to back-convert it to a Comet can we at least have an open weapons bay pleeeeeze? :)

Regards,

Adrian

Yes Adrian, great to meet you and everyone else who gathered in that magic spot in Hall 3.

There I was on Saturday, looking at this Nimrod in the flesh, along with Ced the new proud owner, and now I'm home (just) and this thread is already on post 22 (at least)!

I'll certainly watch this build from start to finish.

Terry

• Like 1