Supermarine Stranraer civil airliner, Matchbox 1/72nd scale

Your predilection for war machines in civilian dress brings forth yet another triumph.

And the photography here is breathtaking – you have really used the sun to best advantage! From a semi-retired photographer… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Dear Moa, I'd like to ask you, to beg you a favour:

Please, stop posting those bauties. Everytime I see one of them, my blood pressure rises up like a firework in Guy Fawkes' night, and I suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

TIA and best regards....

🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Again a nice, very nice build. I do believe that the decals are available again under Thunderbird Models, They have re issued a few of the former Whiskey Jack decals but as screen printed sets.

• Like 1

Stunning build of an interesting airplane. The owner of Blue Mountain Hobbies in Coquitlam (BC, Canada - shop closed down about 10 years or more ago) had one in a display case. I complimented him on his build, and he commented that the Canadian pilots' nickname for this plane was "The Whistling Sh**house" - or something to that effect. I wonder if there is any truth in it - anybody out in my neck of the woods know?

Edited by jannie
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jannie,

Yes, that was exactly the nickname for this plane related by the founder of Queen Charlotte Airlines Ltd. in this book on the subject: "The Accidental Airline" by White & Spilsbury.

"Moa"! I don't recall seeing this one before! Great to see somebody putting those decals to use; good'un!

Cheers, -Lars

• Thanks 1

Another beautiful flying lumber yard! I have two of the MB kits, which I think is their best biplane release- their biplanes are their best kits, in my humble opinion, and I wish they had done more of them. The Stranraer is an elegant and BIG airplane, and you have done her proud. If I can do half as good...(I'm worried that there might be a Heyford in civilian markings lurking in the shadows!)

Mike

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Lovely build, Moa. I managed to buy the Thunderbirds printing of this decal sheet and have moved the kit up my To Build list. I note your comments about the length of the struts - that's useful to know.

You mentioned some mods required for the engines and props - did you scratch these or use items borrowed from other kits? 

What approach did you use for the side decals? On the Thunderbirds, there is a continuous strip of black with no provision for the windows. How did you tackle this on your model?

Regards

Richard C

3 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Lovely build, Moa. I managed to buy the Thunderbirds printing of this decal sheet and have moved the kit up my To Build list. I note your comments about the length of the struts - that's useful to know.

You mentioned some mods required for the engines and props - did you scratch these or use items borrowed from other kits? 

What approach did you use for the side decals? On the Thunderbirds, there is a continuous strip of black with no provision for the windows. How did you tackle this on your model?

Regards

Richard C

Hi Richard

This is a very old build, as stated in the header, I wasn't documenting much at that time, and looking at the two or three images that I took while building I could not expunge any useful information.

Not sure what happened with the side decals, but most likely the windows may have not aligned, in which case I think I would have let the decal set, cut off the windows in their real position (this decal was an all-carrier thing, not "hollowed" windows) and then paint the black spots where the decal will show otherwise the edges of silver underneath.

The images' exif traced the build to 2006, 13 years ago. I have no idea what I did or how. I sincerely don't recall a pip, other than the decals will adhere like limpets after a short time.

I suggest that you look at photos of the machine you intend to build and compare them to the version intended in the kit boxing, taking down notes of differences, that's how I work. I do not trust plans or drawings, having been many times mislead by them, in spite of the good intentions of their makers.

Sorry I can't be of more use, as said, a very old build.

Cheers

A pox on Whiskey Jack Decals and their maker! That S.O.B. owes me $35.00 Cdn. and/or the decals I ordered years ago. I know he was being investigated by the police for ripping people off. I still get pixxed off whenever the subject comes up.

Chris

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A pox on Whiskey Jack Decals and their maker! That S.O.B. owes me $35.00 Cdn. and/or the decals I ordered years ago. I know he was being investigated by the police for ripping people off. I still get pixxed off whenever the subject comes up.

Chris

Chris, this must be the thousandth time I heard the same complaint, every time the subject of these decals comes up.

Strange business practices...to say it extremely politely.

Sorry you (and it seems very many others) were ripped.

Breathe...breathe....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spruecutter said:

You made a very nice job of the modelling and the photography.

The photos are recent, I re-photographed the model to re-post it here at BM when I was uploading those 200 or so old builds. The original photos were quite so-so.

It's nice to see that even people like me can learn with time 😉

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

West coast story on the Stranraer;  Several interceptors were scrambled out of McChord AFB in Washington towards a massive, slow moving ufo return heading south along the coast.  When the fighters intercepted, they found it was a Canadian Stranraer placidly flogging along at about 90 knots.  One of the crew opened the bow hatch and was standing in it, waving at the fighters as they staggered by, almost stalling out.  All the bracing wires apparently magnified the radar return greatly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

West coast story on the Stranraer;  Several interceptors were scrambled out of McChord AFB in Washington towards a massive, slow moving ufo return heading south along the coast.  When the fighters intercepted, they found it was a Canadian Stranraer placidly flogging along at about 90 knots.  One of the crew opened the bow hatch and was standing in it, waving at the fighters as they staggered by, almost stalling out.  All the bracing wires apparently magnified the radar return greatly.

Pft!

Fouled again by Martian Hale.

Martians use a Stranraer cloaking device.

Doesn't work in my native country, though: we bring them down and eat them.

They taste like chicken.

Love your low sun-angle photography Moa - really brings out the lustre and texture of your work. Congrats on another fine aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Moa - I missed this first time around - Love it! I had a Matchbox Stranraer as a kid and have always wanted to make a decent job of one - this give me inspiration.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1