Stinson Detroiter record plane, scratchbuilt 1/72nd scale

A build from 6 years ago, another classic of the Golden Age.

Continuing with the record plane saga, here we have the Stinson SM-1 Detroiter “City of Chicago” that conquered the endurance record after flying 553 hours 41 minutes with in-flight refueling. The four Hunter Bros. manned both, the record and the refueling plane (Big-Ben, another Detroiter).

I guess that by the time they got down, the diameter of the pistons of the venerable Wright J-6 was reduced to that of a pin.

As in other similar record planes, maintenance of the engine was done by the dubious procedure of exiting the plane while flying and stepping on a catwalk that surrounded the plane’s nose. Brave men, those record-seeking people.

Once again, as no kit of the Stinson SM-1 is around, scratchbuilding was the solution. Fair is to say that Khee-Kha Art Products of Alaska sells a beautiful resin J-6, with prop and exhausts included, and that helped quite a bit. Wheels where white metal aftermarket parts form Aeroclub and the rest created with the Enterprise replicator

Of a slightly bigger size than the previously posted Curtiss Robin record plane, they share nevertheless a similar concept shape-wise, so more or less the same building techniques were used, the only variation being the upper and lower fuselage which had a slight curve, and therefore required particular parts.

01.jpg

02.jpg

22.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

41.jpg

• Like 29

Another amazing build, of a subject the mass-market kit manufacturers ignore.

I'm also amazed how prolific you are with work to show - I wonder where you get the time to do such beautifully-realised work.

Another first class build.

:clap::worthy:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kapam said:

Another amazing build, of a subject the mass-market kit manufacturers ignore.

I'm also amazed how prolific you are with work to show - I wonder where you get the time to do such beautifully-realised work.

Another first class build.

Fellow britmodellers, all these models were built over a period of time, as stated at the beginning of each post. No miracles here.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

Admit it... You have a gang of elves in your workshop!

I wish...I wouldn't mind a bunch from Tolkien's books.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neil5208 said:

How was in flight refuelling achieved

That's actually a matter for grown-up modelers, Neil, and you shouldn't be asking those questions at your age.

I will tell you things in a way appropriate for your age, using a figure of speech: let's say that there is a long "hose" on the tanker plane, and a (how to call it...) "funnel" in the record plane.

The Tanker plane positions itself on top of the record plane and uncoils the...er...hose. After some cautious manoeuvring the hose is placed in the "funnel" and the "refuelling" process begins. Some details of the elements associated with that operation can be -barely- seen in the images above.

I hope you don't become over-curious with these matters, Neil, there is a time for everything.

Now go and play with your little planes.

Cheers

city-of-chicago-aircraft-refueling-durin

CurtStLouRobin.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Lovely build yet again Moa, have you done any WIP's for your models?

Thanks!

I have posted a large amount of models, many of them have WiP counterpart articles, not this one, though.

This one is part of many builds form a time ago. I have posted the WiPs at that time on my blog.

I always post the WiPs of new models, but not always those of these old models, time is limited!

Cheers

Edited by Moa
to add info

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done. I assume you printed the decals yourself too?   :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:

Cheers, 

Bill 

Hi Bill

Thanks!

Yes, I made this decals, as I used to do then. Now I commission them, so I can concentrate on the builds and get a much better product than what I could do.

Cheers