1/48 English Electric Lightning F6 - 5 Squadron Shark

Finished one! First one in nearly a year.

Build thread:

Finished article. I tried some new (to me) painting and weathering techniques. Mostly happy with them - some improvements needed, but hey isn't that the way? I think if every model I built was perfect in my eyes (actually none of them are), I'd get bored. Still - quite happy. Need to work on my photography too. I think I'm going to ditch my rubbish light tent and just get a roll of white paper.

Kit is Airfix 1:48 Lightning F6

Decals are mostly Airfix, from two different F6 kits because one of them was old and breaking up.

Paints are Gunze Mr Color, clear coat is Mr Paint clear gloss.

Cockpit is just the kit, supplemented with masking tape belts.

Metals are Alclad II - nose ring is the Alclad chrome

Weathering effects are AK interactive enamels, with the darker stuff being AK "smoke" pigment drawn across with a brush moistened in mineral spirits.

DSC_0224-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0155-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0163-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0164-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0169%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0172%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0180-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0198%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0202-E%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

DSC_0203%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by propforward
Added some info about kit and build
  • Like 45

13 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Stunning Lightning, very nicely made and weathered.

Your photography skills looks pretty good as well, just need a few more stops of exposure... photos look slightly dark on my monitor.

gazza l 

Thank you! You're right - definitely too dark. I may attempt some more pics next weekend. This camera is new to me, has a lot more bells and whistles than I've been used to. Managed to more or less sort out focus, so that the whole aircraft is in focus, but definitely need more exposure. More to learn - all fun.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stringbag said:

I'm not a big fan of the Lightning in that scheme but that is an absolute beauty Sir.

One of the best I've seen for a long time.  :thumbsup:

Chris.

I agree - I much prefer the more colourful Lightnings, and bare metal examples. However, in my quest to build a representative cross section of the type, I felt I had to get a grey one in there, and the sharkmouth adds some interest. Plus a chance to have a go at some weathering. Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated.

Thanks everyone - there are some encouraging comments here from some very well known and accomplished scale modellers, so I'm really pleased and overwhelmed by that.

I'm open to criticism too.

For my part, 4 things bother me. First the pictures are too dark, so I'll work on that.

In regards to the model, there are 3 things I'm not so happy about.

1. The cockpit - the ejector seat sits too low - in the Lightning, the cockpit is positively crammed with stuff, and the ejector seat should sit much higher up and fill the space. Easily rectified on the next model.

2. The shark mouth and eye decals - not weathered in properly. As a result, to me they seem to "float" above the surface, and it is really obvious that they are decals.

3. The clear sensor cover on the firestreaks looks totally unrealistic. I think on this aircraft they were typically covered and painted green anyway. I suppose I could fix that, but I'm not too worried at this point.

There are other flaws, but I've managed to disguise them well enough in the pictures. B)

On 11/12/2018 at 12:02 AM, propforward said:

I agree - I much prefer the more colourful Lightnings, and bare metal examples. However, in my quest to build a representative cross section of the type, I felt I had to get a grey one in there, and the sharkmouth adds some interest. Plus a chance to have a go at some weathering. Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated.

Credit where it's due.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

like it a lot!

Somehow I think the grey makes it look way more modern and sleeker (is that even possible?  its a quite sleek but a brute one anytime...)..... does not distract from its lines definitely!

would have loved to see one fly.... but probably toooooo late now!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Very nice comments all round, I really appreciate it.

Exdraken - there is a group in the USA working on getting a Lightning T5 to flying condition - they might be able to do it. If they do, I'll go and see it for sure.

7 hours ago, propforward said:

......there is a group in the USA working on getting a Lightning T5 to flying condition - they might be able to do it. If they do, I'll go and see it for sure.

Please make sure you do as you’ll be in for a spectacular treat, especially if they are allowed to use reheat in the display!  I’m one of the lucky ones that’s old enough to have seen the Lightning perform at various U.K. shows and can vividly remember the ear shattering noise and sheer brutality of its performance in the vertical in full reheat. Happy days! 

Edited by Bill.B
  • Like 1