1806 Prussian Grenadiers

FredG

I've finally started my 1806 Prussians. They will all be Hat and these are not the best figures that I will ever have to paint but neither are they the worst. I've been pleasantly surprissed how they inproved with the final washes.

This set are marching Grenadiers from IR4 and IR54 which make up a Grenadier Battalion under Oberstlieutenant von Vieregg (IR Nr. 54) who will be appearing at a later date.

xU9UFnqNJN6qxyQEFHvfbmcazheoLKcqsiu1fKIh

PONYWJ0NvPFA1pwkjO9GqXZoMBdwTZL7yqMLCruo

7ORhlRdGf6v8jzJlCXx1z9XfuHlY-JwWSQdCz9QG

JBm-KjSLadf9Tcj1ZjE8FEuqCRgTywSf319wWPYL

dfe6SkVbb4SVM66DiVAXozCqzvndktztcYtbqW2G

GKqhKK2biBI92jkTKKZfDwGjACIXKoahBOnqLsCs

I haven't based the officer yet as he's waiting for a mate from IR54, his boss and a few others.
This one is IR4

i0S8OcIED9h7BWjqp4wwrjWtlQ_m0ggbxcVY9UVf

PKfqcpRvLzdTrbtdnfKLBvCpKoCYKc6G4BPyfwtU

Vorwarts meine kinder!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The third instalment of this set, the firing line

IR10 Wedel

kaCKXRetBC0c4OvDiBnL42MRKz85VmLZdbCfUUdI

qnZwdfUYT774UTh0ukABbJFjblYvsAIDpY5fnwbf

IR41 Lettow

4qeGbUoVV_u4wBEfl6I5JUMSCVcoWS-29rgIH27h

A6QzOuVqJPb1YiJLJ-ia62nQ3iFURI2CHmvKKUw7

The Grenadier Battalion of Major von Borstel (IR10)

OXLNY4Y4aKcXtsAkHRL7igkKCz-Lfbx_10pRLceV

g23PCvGZcEhfdggWhWY36drVs9t7oCWu06B7HHrO

DgL-NSZLuDrdv6Gx0gBJ4Je3ZibY91EXKzLKHqC-

Grenadier Officers of (L - R) IR46 Thile, IR54 Natzmer, and IR4 Kalckreuth.

HRp_7Sxc93E79AmCqAPQPrtpxxlny_8IQihokvH2

Still one more instalment to come.

• Like 2

I've no idea what you mean. These are Infantry on campaign. By the end of the campaign the troops would quite often be barely recognisable as human so to show pristine full dress uniforms when in combat is a little silly in my opinion.

Edited by FredG

I have no intention to start a fight here. I happen to disagree with your opinion. These little men get life from exaggeration. Take a look on the pictures published on HÄT's homepage. If you try to obtain something like scale 'truth', you cannot see anything. Even at close range you are about a 100 meter from a full scale person. How much do you see then? 

By the way, at least Napoleon asked his soldiers to be in galla when marching up for a battle. I am in no doubt that that was also standard in other armies at the time.

These French are made with a similar technique to the one you apply. To me they look 'flat'..

Billede 12-x

These are very different:

feb 09 - 6

Perhaps if you stopped looking at the figures with a modern eye for colour you'd realise that the "flat" look you don't like is more historically correct. Natural fibres coloured using natural dyes,. Dyes that run so reds end up as a  light pink stain. "Whites" that are often unbleached so should be shown as ecru. That's before we get on to rain, mud, dust, burnt powder effects etc.

GJmA94RCsXXLVsVoPLSUY4IU-VNLibRa3_L6e9fi

I know many like to put a black border around detail to highlight it but really, to my eye, it just makes the figure look like a highly coloured in strip cartoon. 

Have your opinion by all means but if, as you espouse, you don't want to start a fight please keep it off this thread.. 👍 A topic on painting techniques and historical representation/exaggeration in small scales would be far more suited in its own thread.

Edited by FredG

Again, you started it. I just asked if you dipped your figures, e.g., in black. Historically correct, then you should paint the figures all in grey with a faint tint of blue or red or whatever.  I referred you to the HÄT homepage to see for yourself. 

It is like airplanes: Historically correct when it comes to WW II planes. But then we may study color photos from the time, and you will see that a special trend among modelers highlighting this and that has nothing to do with reality. It is just the way modelers have chosen that it should be.

You can see from the example I put in -- the French -- that I formerly painted in the same way as you. But the effect of the dipping is much more dramatic. But: Chacun son goût, as they in French.

I guess that it is best to leave it here, and maybe take it it up elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, NPL said:

I guess that it is best to leave it here, and maybe take it it up elsewhere.

Just as I was thinking we didn't agree on anything. 😀👍