1/48 Hawker Tempest

salmo G

Finished! finally got the Tempest finished, the refueler and base are a little behind but should be finished ny the weekend. will drop soem pics of the Tempest in RFI later.

The Eduard kit is very nice and I liked it a lot, surface detail and detail areas like the cockpit and wheel wells are well upto ther recent standards and at least as good as their Spitfire, unfortunatly there are a few issues of which the spinner is probably the biggest I came accross and while easy to fix is a bit disapointing, the sink marks on some of the ailerons/elevators are also a bit disapointing but may not effect all kits?

I may have overdone the weathering a tad........ but it was good practice for my next build which is Eduards spitfire in a jungle setting . I will certainly build more and maybe the next one will be a little cleaner!

46222895232_277626759d_k.jpg32401403348_4a5eb172fe_k.jpg31334378067_53681c2a75_k.jpg31334378097_453301ac89_k.jpg32401396988_8d13162db5_k.jpg46273139591_662face8ad_k.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Got the refueller finished and reasonably happy with the result, don't really know anything about it so its pretty much been built OOB, I did mess up with the cab as i've not managed to get the roof/back piece lined up correctly meaning the door openings are anything but the right shape! its a resin kit so maybe to be expected and pretty sure I could have sorted it if only I had spotted it before it came to fit the doors.......... it does mean that  have had to leave both doors open which maybe looks a bit contrived but haho, I also messed up with the window installation and thers a few bits of touch up needed so please don't mention the brass handholds, I know!

The base is now almost complete construction wise and just needs painting and some grass added will drop some more pics on the RFI once the 3 are brought together.

46356183041_86185dc3b8_k.jpg45633148464_602fc2f436_k.jpg45633148474_66d013ed84_k.jpg46356183731_a35aa4a9dc_k.jpg45633147864_a32dde767a_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, salmo G said:

I may have overdone the weathering a tad........ but it was good practice for my next build which is Eduards spitfire in a jungle setting . I will certainly build more and maybe the next one will be a little cleaner.

Sadly I have to agree with you: there’s no gainsaying your skill and ability; you’ve done a lovely job but those Tempests of the Newchurch Wing were almost brand new aeroplanes and, despite being hard worked, would not have weathered to the extent you’ve depicted.  I suspect though that Typhoons operating from semi-prepared strips in France soon after D-Day would have looked a bit tired in comparison.

Invasion stripes would weather and wear more heavily than the factory-applied camouflage: they were supposed to be applied using easily removable water-soluble distemper: in most cases they’d probably wear rather patchily as, with few exceptions (e.g. Wing Commander Roland Beamont’s JN751 which had them applied by the Hawker paint shop at Langley), they were applied using almost anything with bristles from a 1” brush to a yard broom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Sadly I have to agree with you: there’s no gainsaying your skill and ability; you’ve done a lovely job but those Tempests of the Newchurch Wing were almost brand new aeroplanes and, despite being hard worked, would not have weathered to the extent you’ve depicted.  I suspect though that Typhoons operating from semi-prepared strips in France soon after D-Day would have looked a bit tired in comparison.

Invasion stripes would weather and wear more heavily than the factory-applied camouflage: they were supposed to be applied using easily removable water-soluble distemper: in most cases they’d probably wear rather patchily as, with few exceptions (e.g. Wing Commander Roland Beamont’s JN751 which had them applied by the Hawker paint shop at Langley), they were applied using almost anything with bristles from a 1” brush to a yard broom.

Hi Stever

LOL I just got a bit carried away........the finish is a mix of effects I seen on several different airframes and was just for fun and good practice for my next build (an RAAF spitfire viii, some of which are positivly filthy) you may however be surprised at how dirty some of those Tempests got. There are plenty of pics of the newchurch wing tempests with invasion stripes that show some fairly serious weathering effects as a lot of the airframes had been in use a few months before DDay and from the beginning of the anti diver patrols they seem to have been used heavily. One thing I did which i think does make it look a little more worn than necessary is the wash, this probably should have been toned down a tad more. The following are all visible in pics of newchurch Tempests,

• The wing root bump over the spar attcahment point is nearly always stripped to bare metal
  • Exhaust stains on some planes stretch almost as far back as the tail
  • Wing walkways are quite heavily weathered on some machines (i overdid this at first but I am happy now i've knocked it back)
  • fuel stains are quite visible on a few airframes.
  • I've seen one machine at least that has nearly ALL of the underfuselage black/white stripes worn away
  • Theres regular chipping the wings/stripes behind the gun bays where these were serviced
  • Small patchs of discoloured/faded paint also seem quite common.

I really wish I had the corage to try and represent the stripes in a rougher form as some of the painting was as you suggest less than pristine! maybe nextime but I worry about it looking off in such a small scale, anyone got any experience of achieving a suitable effect?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2019 at 13:22, plantaznik said:

Excelent build! May I ask what technique and material did you use to fix the shape of propeller cone holes? 

Hi Plantaznik

I think one of the earlier photos shows the spinner unpainted but in simple terms I filled the existing openings with plastic card and redrilled/cut the slots. Make sure the palstic card is thicker than the spinner and the excess is on the outside then you can sand to shape without worrying. FYI it looks like the series 2 edition kit has a corrected spinner.

On 27/01/2019 at 21:30, Josip said:

I really don't get this latest fashion of painting RAF aircraft with olive drab. Otherwise a cracking build.

Hi Josip

just used what I had kicking around....... humbrol paint can't even remember the number! I was too busy having fun to think too hard or stop till I had RAF green to hand lol

• Like 1

Hi guys

Today I received the version 2 of the Tempest kit...and it has a new spinner with the slots you show on yours included. It also has drop tanks and mountings in clear. What puzzles me about the spinner, the instructions shows the silver NV708 plane to have the spinner with the big prop openings...all other versions cal for the smaller openings and the shorter spinner...

The prop mounting itself is a joke IMHO. Would it have been really asked too much to include a base plate in the fuselage and a shaft so that the prop spinns and can be taken off?

cheers

Uwe

• Like 1

Good Morning...

I did a bit more reading on the web last night and also examined the kit a bit more. A VERY cool feature is the way the trailing edge of the wings are done and the edge of the fin! Way to go...

On the web I spotted the MDC Tempest II conversion, of course made for the old Eduard kit. Very tempting I have to say...with the radial engine the plane looks even better. To top the evening off...I went to E-bay around midnight and ordered the Airfix Sea Fury and Sea Hurricane🙂

I might start a bit on the Tempest today...as my other current projecs are all in the painting and decal stage...

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de