1/48 Hawker Tempest

salmo G

13 hours ago, salmo G said:

thanks for the kind words, now that i've assembled the complete cockpit and installed it in the fuselage I can confirm VERY little of the floor is actually on show and with it being painted black its effectivly invisible, I totally endorse eduards decision to use it and think the end result is superb for an OOB kit, quite possibly the nicest 1/48 cockpit I can think of! and even if I do say so myself it actually looks better in the flesh than it does on these c*** pics off my phone.

These new Eduard kits are getting some very good reviews - nice to see that echoed here.  They are expensive but for those of us that are not into modelling for the challenge of turning half rate kits into masterpieces - they seem to fit the bill.

Great work so far - you're definitely doing this kit justice.

• Like 1

yahoo the weekend beckons!

Managed to get the major assembly work complete, it all went reasonably smoothly, theres a few areas that need a touch of filler (the gun insert and cockpit coaming areas i think are my issue not Eduards, pretty sure a bit more fettling would have sorted these without the need for filler) the joints on the flap mean i've lost a bit of surface detail so plan is to spend what spare time I have at the weekend to tidy up all joints/surface detail and hope to be in a position to start painting by Monday.

45183627054_6f231c7e7b_k.jpg44995014985_2849a7e2bd_k.jpg30968948657_035bf880d5_k.jpg45858268512_0a6da5d70c_k.jpg32036806038_fd88c07eff_k.jpg

• Like 10

Really nice job Salmo !!

I'll follow if I may ! Will buy the kit ASAP....

Which is meaning after the official release day akathe 24th of November !

Eduard has done a pre-release for Telford...

Look like a great kit !! and you're making it justice !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi

Tidied up the joints and primed the airframe, need to try and re rivet the flaps but otherwsie its ready for painting to begin (one thing I did do was knock back the raised rivets ever so slightly, its hard to tell without paint just how prominant they are but under primer they become more visible and I felt that I needed to sand them jusr a fraction) unfortunatly showing it in primer dosn't really look any different to previous so no more pics of the Tempest, what I have however got pics of is the Accurate Armour refuelling truck,

Spent what spare time I had at the weekend cleaning all the parts up and pretty much got it assembled ready for primer, its not a bad kit, little simple in places and if you wanted to superdetail it theres plenty of chance to add brake lines and extra stuff to the chassis etc but it all fitted together pretty well and I am happy with it so far. I plan on representing a micky mouse paint scheme so looking forward to that and some weathering!

44154917590_c3f54a433c_k.jpg32100189298_2e2682a42a_k.jpg44154920800_55cbf20f8e_k.jpg

• Like 4

Made a start painting both the Tempest and the refueller, for the Tempest i am using masks for as many markings as possible ( a combination of Montex and home made)

i have also dug out an old base and plan on re-using this once i've added some height and a different layout (plan on having at least some area of concrete on the base to cut down on grass which I have never  been able to master successfully!) plan is to use my spare time this weekend working n the base as well as getting a few more colours on the Tempest.

31077332177_620fe48d40_k.jpg44200806000_4f94978022_k.jpg44200805100_2749428188_k.jpg44200838440_c9f2a208ce_k.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Christer

I have tried masking both before and after the main paint scheme and both have benefits, in this case I chose to do the  roundals/codes first as the lighter colours are easier to cover on the light colour primer as opposed to ocean grey/dark green and I am trying to keep the number of layers of paint to a minimum to save the very delicate surface detail.

The roundal masks will stay in place untill the main scheme is in place (but before I put the DD stripes on if I choose to do one of those options) so no need for any complicated masking for at least that operation!

• Like 3

I have managed to get the main paintwork including the roundels/codes complete, now need to leave it a few days to dry completly then I can touch up the odd area and give it a gloss coat and polish before applying the walkways and stripes  (possibly using the hairspray technique)

What has become apparent is that there are some quite noticable sink marks on top of the elevators and ailerons which at certain angles/light conditions are quite obvious. These would be very awkward to eliminate whilst maintaining surface finish which is a little disapointing, hopefylly this won't eggect every kit? can anybody else confirm if this effects theirs?

I have also got just about all the smaller bits n pieces painted and the modified spinner looks quite nice under a coat of paint even if I do say so myself!

32190068648_2321319112_k.jpg32190071358_911f18a834_k.jpg45337173034_094b25517d_k.jpg44245388740_0f00023eac_k.jpg45149540965_24ce3bfcaf_k.jpg

• Like 10

That’s really looking lovely. I’m thinking how I would have tackled the paint stage and naturally would possibly have painted the D-Day stripes before the main colours. We all know that this was applied over the top like you are going to do, so will be keen to see how you tackle this step. Judging by all this excellent work so far, I’m sure it will turn out a treat. 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s really looking lovely. I’m thinking how I would have tackled the paint stage and naturally would possibly have painted the D-Day stripes before the main colours. We all know that this was applied over the top like you are going to do, so will be keen to see how you tackle this step. Judging by all this excellent work so far, I’m sure it will turn out a treat. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

Plan is to complete the paint scheme first (tick!) do some weathering then apply the stripes last just like in real life, plan is to laydown a layer of hairsprey and chip the stripes along the leading edges and undersaides to add abit more interest, if I wasn't bothered about wanting to chip them slightly I would have painted them first as getting a decent coat of opaque white over the camo scheme could be interesting...... watch this space!

• Thanks 1

Been working on the truck mainly today, got the bulk of the main camo pattern painted up, did a little bit of work on the tempest by adding the walkways (over AK worn effects) after sanding the inner wings down a little to reveal the alclad I had earlier placed there. think I may have overdone the erosion on tne walkways! may need to see if I can add alittle back later on........

32222293758_4478ebe53b_k.jpg45181770935_07214e02b3_k.jpg45181769365_437a8296fd_k.jpg

• Like 9

Final update before crimbo officially gets underway.........

Got the bulk of stencils on (serial number excepted, will do that after masking the stripes next week) and made a start with the weathering by getting a quick panel line wash on, some oil streaks n discolouring along with some light chips, away for the weekend so this should have a chance to dry and then next week I can tackle those dreaded stripes!

Enjoy your weekend!32247205868_b93d273b1f_k.jpg32247205208_4020638577_k.jpg32247204118_8164626eca_k.jpg32247205198_17f0c3a472_k.jpg46118337471_25507e8492_k.jpg44302013420_63074ee4d3_k.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

You're doing a smashing job there, looks great.:thumbsup2:

If I may make a suggestion, if you're going to have that level of weathering on the walkways then you might want to consider other areas that are going to show similar levels of wear such as the kick-in steps, hand grips and cockpit sills for a start as well as other places where maintenance is going to have taken place for instance.

thanks for all the kind words

On 01/12/2018 at 13:11, Wez said:

You're doing a smashing job there, looks great.:thumbsup2:

If I may make a suggestion, if you're going to have that level of weathering on the walkways then you might want to consider other areas that are going to show similar levels of wear such as the kick-in steps, hand grips and cockpit sills for a start as well as other places where maintenance is going to have taken place for instance.

Hi Wez

I plan on scaling back the weathering on the walkways as mentioned above, just got a bit carried away when I started chipping....... just got back from a festive trip to Edinburgh, if i get a chance i am hoping to put the masking on for the stripes tonight/tomorrow, when i paint the black stripes will try and knock back the walkways at the same time.

As you suggested I will be adding chips to handholds etc and the next few layers of weathering once the satin/semi matt layer goe on in a few days, only about halfway through the weathering process so far but having fun!!

43 minutes ago, Josip said:

I'm just curious if those new cutting edge fighter airplanes really got so used up and dirty?

Hi Josip

I do have a liking for weathered subjects and sometimes get a bit carried away....... (its just a bit of light hearted entertainment after all) however in answer to your question yes some of the RAF's most cutting edge fighters did get very dirty/weathered, just look in your references there will be plenty of examples, the undersurfaces especialy seem to be particulerly prone to oil/dirt stains, exhaust stains in some cases seem to stretch back almost as far as the tail and then theres the fuel stains from tanks and scratchs all over the wings around the gun bays etc.

See IWM photo 14088 which is my main inspiration and shows all of the above effects, I may end up overdoing some of them but I will be having fun!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, salmo G said:

I may end up overdoing some of them but I will be having fun!!

How dare you have fun while building a model kit you bought with your own money!  

Have some sense of decency, man.  This is Britmodeller after all!

Regards

Martin

• Haha 1

I think the weathering looks good not over the top at all, except for the walkway strip you have already mentioned will be sorted. It will be nice to see this one finished.

I need to work on some better chipping styles. I wasn't totally happy with my last minute effort on the Zero. 

Well after what seems like a lifetime of masking/remasking I now have the invasion stripes in place, pretty sure theres a few issues with how i've presented some things (like the positioning/gaps in the stripes around the codes/roundels etc) however I am reasonably happy so far, as you may notice i've also knocked the chipping on the walkways back a bit.  Next big step is a final clear coat (satin, not matt to keep an element of the smooth finish of the original) and then just a few more weathering steps before its time to put all the seperate parts together , now lets think whats needed?

oil stains

dust around walkways/wingroots

some silver pencil chips around some panel lines

exhaust stains

Ive had a lot of fun with this so far and I am already planning another!

46192348811_7aef95d579_k.jpg46141788932_f4f7f3794f_k.jpg46141788372_3465335231_k.jpg32320265318_1126a779d2_k.jpg32320263178_de88c04872_k.jpg32320264988_84ce0cfece_k.jpg

• Like 11