1/48 Hawker Tempest

salmo G

Well Telford is over for another year, had a great day down there on Saturday and all credit to the organisers this year as the huge que we joined at 9.50 evaporated almost as quickly as my excitement did when I first saw it!

First stop was the Eduard stall and I managed to pick up Eduards latest kit along with a set of brassin exhausts, plan is to create a diorama based on some of the pics taken at Newchurch in June 44 with a Tempest being refuelled by the accurate armour Bedford, I did think about the flaps and gun bays as well to make it a little more fussy but in the end thought a simple build of the kit was in order and maybe my second will include these?

Spent a few hours today comparing the parts to some references and the kit looks superb in the box, surface texture is well upto Eduards latest standards and even includes raised rivits on the rear fuselage (applicable) along with recessed ones elsewhere. Detail everywhere looks great with the cockpit and wheel bays being standout areas.  There are however a few issues i've spotted (I never compare models to plans, my view is if i cant see the problem by comparing the kit to photos its not worth worrying about!)

• The spinner openings for the blades are much too large and totally the wrong shape, in my view ruining the look of the part.  I am guessing Eduard based it on some of the museum examples that exist most of which seem to have odd looking spinners but compared to any wartime shots the difference is very obvious. Dosen't look like a huge issue to rectify and will work on it through the week ahead. Presumably the AM guys will be offer something suitable in the not too distant future.
  • Most if not all series1 airframes have bumps on the upper wing fillets, these re missing in the kit, again looks like an easyish addition.
  • I could be wrong on this but I think the lower surface bumps covering the wing attachment bolts need removed on series1 aircraft (not 100% sure on this, I am going to remove the ones on this build however unless I can confirm it either way?)
  • There should be a handhold in one side at least at the rear of the canopy, may have a go at adding this just need to be careful with it being a clear part.
  • Again not sure at the minute I need to find a few more pics but it looks like some of the early Tempests at least have cone shaped guides on the front face of the radiator, i know there are some available for the typhoon kits out there which given more time I may have tracked down, will see how I go with this one.
  • There are rows of slots on both wing undersurfaces where the future tanks fit, I can't see any evidence of these in the underside shots I have so will probably fill these, may also fill or at least reduce the points for the rockets as not sure if these should be shown on these early aircraft?

If the above sounds like undue critism its not meant to, the only deal breaker for me is the spinner the rest are just small details and easily overlooked, the kit really does look good and I cant wait to start cutting plastic tomorrow!

Slight update, started cutting plastic tonight and one word of advice, be careful when removing the cockpit frames from the sprus, they are very fragile, don't ask how I know.... you have been warned!

45831587731_6d4f755b5e_k.jpg44918677025_741a374155_k.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m joining in as well salmo. Looks like you’ll be treating us to a bit of Tempest V Series 1 knowledge, which I’m more than happy to sit down with eyes and ears open. 

Cheers.. Dave 

How does the shape of the nose measure out?

I understand the research material was shared between Eduard and Special Hobby, and used towards the latter's 1/32 Tempests. The Special Hobby kits have a somewhat bloated nose profile, with enlarged spinner diameter, 

I wondered if this had been taken account of in Eduard's use of the data,

Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Dave

Tempest knowledge? whats that..... all i've done is look at the kit parts in relation to some pictures and identified a few things  that may/may not be right and that I may/may not change, please don't confuse the results of a happy couple of hours "research" with knowledge lol.

Bill

Not a clue, not got the fuselage parts off the runners yet and tbh whilst I am aware of the Barracuda replacement parts for the SH 1/32 kit I could never really see the issue.......

Hope to spend a few hours tomorrow cracking on so will try and post some progress pics soon.

Gary

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Gary

if you have not seen it, then this thread

is worth a read, and yes @Chris Thomas is the same chap as the author of the Typhonn and tempest aces book, among others

HTH

T

Hi Troy

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen the build, seems full of usefull stuff, will go through it properly tomorrow and see what I can take on board.

thanks!

In terms of the nose being too bulbous - I can't see it myself. The spinner diameter matches the Hasegawa Typhoon almost exactly & perfectly - in fact if you had a 4 blade DH prop and spinner from that kit, or a resin AM one - then you could use it to replace the Eduard 'Sinead O'Conner' version ( Far Too "Holy" for its own good).

Jonners

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

managed 3 hours in this afternoon and made a good start.

• Got the spinner just about sorted, still needs a bit of polish/tidy up but the gaps now look much more prototypical.
  • Cleaned up most of the cockpit parts and a few others beside, detail is excellent!
  • Got the wheel wells completed, again detail is excellent, you could go mad adding pipework etc but what's provided is a great start and as I never turn my models upside down intentionally when complete I left alone...
  • Cut open the handhold just below the cockpit for a bit of variation (thinking of also dropping the radiator flap, will think that over tonight)
  • One correction to yesterdays observations is the canopy handhold, Eduard have included it all along, just my duff eyesight couldn't spot in on a first glance.
  • The way Eduard have moulded the wings/fuselage joints is going to cause some "interesting" joins right down the length of the flaps, maybe I should have invested in a set of brass flaps after all! looks like a round of filling/sanding/rescribing could be in order here.
  • I have thinned the seat slightly but otherwise the cockpit will be OOP, the only real issue is Eduards decision to add a "floor" beneath the foot boards when in reality this didn't exist, don't see it as a big issue as the cockpit opening is small and don't think a lot will be seen, will try painting it black to disguise it.
  • Couple of sink marks in a few places and some very minor flash, worst sink mark is on the rear of the radiator but its unlikely to be readily visible on the finished model even if I do drop the radiator flap.

Lovelly kit, I am enjoying this! also had a better look at the AA refueler, quite a bit of clean up needed and some mishappen parts/air bubbles to content with, looks a bit rough in places but sure it will tidy up and compliment the Tempest well.

Apologies for the quality of the pics they're just off my phone.

30908434787_35e12ce4ac_k.jpg44031259420_51f86e433f_k.jpg45847665201_b51bf85181_k.jpg45847665151_b4f7e23f86_k.jpg45798632972_fac31c6e15_k.jpg44031256750_e11ad0cdf1_k.jpg

• Like 11

What John said!

That's some HUGE holes in the spinner.

Cockpit internals look nice an very crisp though, but I expect nothing less from Eduard in this matter.

Strange that they also added a floor, but perhaps they'll fix that in the inevitable Brassin cockpit later on?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

What John said!

That's some HUGE holes in the spinner.

Cockpit internals look nice an very crisp though, but I expect nothing less from Eduard in this matter.

Strange that they also added a floor, but perhaps they'll fix that in the inevitable Brassin cockpit later on?

I guess the floor simplifies construction and when everything else is fitted I don't think you will see much of it, but like you say I'm sure the Brassin cockpit will be correct. 

Hi all

I am enjoying this! cockpits painted and ready for assembly, got the wing together and started tidying up the awkward seams along the flaps.  Decided to try and make an intake cowl for the radiator (not a dust filter) as i've found a few pics of early tempests with them installed also made a start painting the undercarriage and doors, few more observations of the build so far.

• I used the plastic rudder pedals suitably thinned as they include the top bar and I couldn't be bothered to add this to the brass ones, anyway they are deep in the cockpit and unlikly to be too visible.
  • I've already noticed that the bar accross part F8 wont allow it to drop in place now that ive added part E9 and the seat belts, it did fit previously in dry runs, no big issue I will seperate it and replace it once F8 is in place, strange how it got past the design stage however?
  • I know i've mentioned this once already but the tubular side frames are very fragile, managed to snap a few more  tubes through clumsy handling......
  • I've removed the hydraulic rams from parts E79 as I am convinced they would otherwise get snapped during the build, no problems painting these seperatly and adding them at the end.
  • There are a couple of nasty ejection pin marks on the main U/C doors, awkard to easily fill these and they will be visible once assembled so bit more mr surfacer work me thinks.
  • You need to do a little fettling along the flap line to get a better fit between wing halves before joining otherwise theres a little step which would just make the los of surface detail to sanding even more noticable.

Plan to work on the radiator and its cowling next to get it ready for installation with the cockpit and hoping to get the fuselage joined up tomorrow, ohh and just spotted that the top inner cowling piece E45 looks like it should have two holes drilled in it!

Overall I think the cockpit is first rate for a kit and personally don't see the need for a resin update even ignoring the solid nature of part of E46, the only thing I could be tempted to add is a brass or resin seat which would be a bit thinner and more detailed than the kit part though to be honest it does paint up very nicely and with a bit of creatice paintwork the quilted backpad dosn't look too bad. Well done Eduard!

32005174958_d87b6264c4_k.jpg32005176208_d51dd40c25_k.jpg44059793150_20d48857d4_k.jpg32005175978_2f3419f11a_k.jpg45876378051_07ed6fe85f_k.jpg

• Like 7

Got the cockpit tub together and have to say its one impressive assembly straight from the box, superdetailers could go mad adding cables n bits and bobs but very little will be visible through that teeny little opening..... radiator tommorow then  I can think of getting the fuselage joined and the airframe put together.44060939970_40b623b4df_k.jpg45877407111_9e9cc7ed15_k.jpg44064553520_61f1e1985f_k.jpg

• Like 16

It's bizarre they could have such massive openings for the spinner, I don't understand! The one intact Tempest V has much smaller ones (apologies for the long link but I'm loathe to hotlink): https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Tempest-TT5/3992867?qsp=eJwtjcEKwkAMRP8lZy8iWOmtfoB6EO8hO9SFtbskESyl/24s3oY3j5mFpE6Oj9/nBurJwCpP2lFj5ZdRv5BizObKnus0iL%2B5hHd5dN0pNKvq5zlAYscgguZIf37VBP1VMNkWx3jYR4DetkyHY/CUrRXeNuCcC63rFx08MeI%3D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

It's bizarre they could have such massive openings for the spinner, I don't understand! The one intact Tempest V has much smaller ones (apologies for the long link but I'm loathe to hotlink): https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Tempest-TT5/3992867?qsp=eJwtjcEKwkAMRP8lZy8iWOmtfoB6EO8hO9SFtbskESyl/24s3oY3j5mFpE6Oj9/nBurJwCpP2lFj5ZdRv5BizObKnus0iL%2B5hHd5dN0pNKvq5zlAYscgguZIf37VBP1VMNkWx3jYR4DetkyHY/CUrRXeNuCcC63rFx08MeI%3D

Hi Zac

I actually think the one in your pic is also incorrect, not sure why but just about all the preserved airframes have much larger openings than wartime shots show. If you look at some of the wartime shots of Tempests (the imperial war museam has quite a few on line for example) you will see the

actual slot for the blade is surprisingly narrow and quite steeply angled,

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

The cockpit looks magnificent though, even with the solid floor, and when painted black, one doesn't even notice it.

Terrific!

Hi Christer

thanks for the kind words, now that i've assembled the complete cockpit and installed it in the fuselage I can confirm VERY little of the floor is actually on show and with it being painted black its effectivly invisible, I totally endorse eduards decision to use it and think the end result is superb for an OOB kit, quite possibly the nicest 1/48 cockpit I can think of! and even if I do say so myself it actually looks better in the flesh than it does on these c*** pics off my phone.

• Like 3