Coastal Command Boeing Fortress 1 **Completed 😀**

JOCKNEY

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Some nasty looking gaps there Pat, I agree with Jean that CA is probably the way to go.

There is a LOT of white in the Coastal Command scheme Pat, I ended up using Halford's alliance white on mine as otherwise I would probably still be going through pots of Gunze white still now!

Hi Craig

I used a combination of CA and filler.

As my nearest Halfords is 100 miles away ( This is where an Aussie tells us all they have to go further to get the morning paper ! ) so I will be using Hairy Stick and Humbrol otherwise I won't get it done in time. However with other Coastal Command builds in the pipeline I will need to get myself some.

Thanks again for the decals mate, really appreciated.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Not an Aussie, but a Canuck. It's a 450km (300 mile) 5 hour drive south to the closest hobby shop.

Chris

Nice one Chris, 

Thats a great marker to set down, anyone beat 300 mile and 5 hours ?

cheers Pat

Right, gaps filled with putty and CA.

IMG_4246

Next some masking, this line between white and camouflage seems to differ slightly depending on which picture you look at, therefore I have gone with what looks right !

IMG_4247

IMG_4248

cheers Pat

• Like 7

Painting has started, White is on

IMG_4250

IMG_4251

I did the first coats of Camouflage last night, all I can say is I hope it looks better with a second coat !

Also the observant among you will have noticed that one of the radio masts behind the cockpit is a different colour. Well that's because first I broke it removing it from the sprue, then proceeded to gift it to the carpet monster. The language was not very professional and I had to go and apologise to both dogs as they were hiding thinking it must have been their fault !

More picture this evening, good luck to everyone 

cheers Pat

• Like 8

Oh. Pat, I'm so sorry! I meant to scan these a while ago, when you asked about the interior around the waist guns, but I forgot. Just this afternoon, I was putting some books back on the shelves when I saw this book and remembered. I blame my old age and the various substances I abused in my 20's.

46008285254_e02cd6905a_b.jpg

46008285294_8ddaa894c5_b.jpg

46008285314_6871d56b21_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

Hi Pat,

your B-17 really looks sexy!!! I did not know they had a convertible version kitted as a mini bus ... One learns something new every day!

I can see you have lavished a lot of TLC on this model, and it shows.

Well bloody done!

By the way, my nearest model shop is almost due South too, 1000 km and 2 days drive away, in the next country! Believe me, it sucks!!!

JR

• Like 1

Time for another update, first the bad news.....

I dropped the blooming thing and managed to break off both one of the main undercarriage legs and the tailwheel see picture below ! I suppose trying to see the bright side at least I hadn't attached the engines and props otherwise these would have all needed repairing.

IMG_4253

Heres a picture of the camouflage so far, hopefully it will look more respectable when the second coat goes on

IMG_4252

Its getting there !

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, dogsbody said:

Oh. Pat, I'm so sorry! I meant to scan these a while ago, when you asked about the interior around the waist guns, but I forgot. Just this afternoon, I was putting some books back on the shelves when I saw this book and remembered. I blame my old age and the various substances I abused in my 20's.

46008285254_e02cd6905a_b.jpg

46008285294_8ddaa894c5_b.jpg

46008285314_6871d56b21_b.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris

Brilliant photos, I have decided to have the waist windows closed, as I would imagine this would be how it would normally have been whilst on patrol.

thanks again Pat

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, jean said:

Hi Pat,

your B-17 really looks sexy!!! I did not know they had a convertible version kitted as a mini bus ... One learns something new every day!

Well bloody done!

By the way, my nearest model shop is almost due South too, 1000 km and 2 days drive away, in the next country! Believe me, it sucks!!!

JR

Hi JR

Im glad you like the Fortress Cabriolet, I'm planning on adding the hardtop along with the engines soon.

1000 km and 2 days drive to the nearest model shop ! I will never complain about living in the Scottish Highlands being remote again !

More importantly how can we get you back into building your kits as well as continuing to encourage and support everyone on here ? I will pop you a PM as I have an idea as a mojo restorer !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, jean said:

Hi Pat,

Well bloody done!

JR

Ooh! Now I don't feel so bad about having to drive 450km. ( 5 hour ) south to the nearest shop, though your weather is probably a little better than mine. It was -32C here this morning and you can never sure what the weather be on that drive.

Chris

• Like 4

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ooh! Now I don't feel so bad about having to drive 450km. ( 5 hour ) south to the nearest shop, though your weather is probably a little better than mine. It was -32C here this morning and you can never sure what the weather be on that drive.

Chris

Hi Chris,

-32C sounds like music to my ears!!!! I am a mountain man displaced to one of the hottest god forsaken spots on the planet, and I suffer! Today I drove to our nearest village, 110 km away on mostly dirt roads, and it was a balmy 40C...

Grass is indeed always greener elsewhere.

Drive safe on all this ice!

And keep having fun!

JR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go down to Glasgow at the weekend, jobs to do at the father in laws and buying school clothes for the kids, they keep growing and it's costing a fortune !

Photo below of where I have got to, it's going to need a push to get this one finished !

IMG_4258

Note it's still a cabriolet version as I am struggling to remove the clear part stains 

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Can I ask a quick question the glazed nose in the kit is predrilled with 3 holes presumably to take Browning machine guns, was the Coastal Command version equipped with machine guns in the nose or do I need to fill the holes in ?

cheers Pat

Can't really help on the nose guns Pat, I would presume not to save weight and extend range but I'm no expert.  

I knocked the tailwheel leg off 'Hettie' twice over on my build and now it's gone AWOL!

Looking good and I'm about at the same point with mine, hope to finish before times up.

Davey.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Can't really help on the nose guns Pat, I would presume not to save weight and extend range but I'm no expert.  

I knocked the tailwheel leg off 'Hettie' twice over on my build and now it's gone AWOL!

Looking good and I'm about at the same point with mine, hope to finish before times up.

Davey.

Hi Davey

Thats spooky, I have done the same more times than I can remember but still have the tail wheel thankfully.

My apologies for not having dropped in on Hettie for a while, I'll nip over in a minute, pop the kettle on !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Chris you are a star, thanks very much mate :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

Thank you for the kind comment. Actually I'm just an old retired codger, living up on the Backside of Beyond in the dead of another frozen winter, with nothing else to do but creep this forum and jealously look in on all the talented modellers here.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Thank you for the kind comment. Actually I'm just an old retired codger, living up on the Backside of Beyond in the dead of another frozen winter, with nothing else to do but creep this forum and jealously look in on all the talented modellers here.

Chris

Well Chris, thanks for also looking at my build anyway, fortunately there are many talented modellers on here for me to hide amongst  :giggle:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Best get ones finger out if this is going to be finished

IMG_4262

One last look at the inside before it disappears forever !

IMG_4263

The cabriolet finally puts the hood up !

IMG_4264

The fix around the canopy was ok till I put some clearfix on, it's going to need some tweaking 

Mrs Jockney has booked a night in a hotel and spa tomorrow so if this is going to be finished I will need to set the alarm and come back in the morning. I think she will take a dim view if I take it with me ! :chair:

Cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 2