Coastal Command Boeing Fortress 1 **Completed 😀**

JOCKNEY

This Academy kit came with a Scrap Job Lot off EvilBay.

It looks complete apart from a missing Prop, and some flak damage to one wing. Thanks to @modelling minion aka Craig for providing the decal to allow me to build the Coastal Command version.

I have treated myself to some of that green zinc chromate paint, pictures to follow once I finish my Frog Vultee Vengeance in the Pacific GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Photos at last, and a bit of a change as I thought this was a B-17C, but my instructions have it as a B-17D.

IMG_4137

IMG_4138

please note missing prop

IMG_4139

Ive found the missing bit of wing since I took the picture !

IMG_4140

Ive kept this lot in the bag to avoid anything else going missing.

Clear parts are in another bag and complete.

So I am on the look out for a spare prop, need to look in the stash, any clues as to what should make a good doner ?

cheers Pat

• Like 3

I picked up an Academy B17F at Telford, it has one wing tip cracked off like your example. Only the one tip though.

I'm hoping that the plastic stays intact during the build. If it's anything like the glass like plastic of an Airfix Mosquito I recently did, I'm in trouble!

Having said that, I find Academy kits go together really well.

Good luck with the build.

Tony.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:24 AM, JOCKNEY said:

So I am on the look out for a spare prop

I would think a Hamilton Standard prop from a P-36 or HS equipped F4F might be getting close, if you're looking at singles, in twins, C-47s, A-20s maybe.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right time for an update.

Apologies for the slow start as I was finishing my Frog Vultee Vengeance II in the Pacific GB.

Progress so far, I have repaired the wings, found a suitable replacement prop for the one that was missing and started on painting and assembly. 

IMG_4178

Interior started, I have tried to do a wooden floor covered with the mats, this sounds better than it looks !

IMG_4179

Also started fixing windows in, there is a lot more than I thought

IMG_4180

I haven't built a kit this size for a long time, and have forgotten how much work is involved and how blooming big it's going to be when finished !

cheers Pat

• Like 8

I like the paintwork in the cockpit and floors Pat, I was lazy with my 'E' and just sprayed everything the same colour :D

I also didn't worry about the bombs, even though I will have the bomb doors open on mine.

My E kit also has parts for the C/D (engine cowls, bulkheads, props and horizontal stabs), I was wondering why yours does not have the E parts?

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

well I've found your B-17! You are damn right that it's going to be big! That's half the fun!!!

Painting so far so good. Would what looks like American G.P. bombs be painted yellow and not O.D? Remember, while I nit-pick with you, I leave some other poor sod in peace!!!

No depth charges? Wot?!!!

It is going to be great, and I am jealous, as I have never built a B-17.

Have a lot of fun!

JR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

I am jealous, as I have never built a B-17.

Have a lot of fun!

JR.

Five weeks to with this STGB, so grab an Academy kit and concentrate on the exterior, should be no problems with finishing in time!

V-P

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Five weeks to with this STGB, so grab an Academy kit and concentrate on the exterior, should be no problems with finishing in time!

V-P

Hi V-P,

this is a nice thought indeed, but it ain't going to work out...

My nearest model shop is some 1000 km away in South Africa... and although they have the Revell B-17 if my memory serves me right, it will never get here on time.

Plus, I am a very sick man: forgetting about the interior is absolutely impossible for me... No cure known to man, yet. Damn!

Thanks anyway. I will do a B-17 one day, that is for sure.

Cheers.

JR

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of an update recently.

We have been away over Christmas at the sister in laws, so having been trying not to fall out with Mrs Jockney, make sure both sets of twins mind their P's & Q's etc, it's good to finally get home to relax, except...

The older twins have their higher exams (Scottish A level) coming up so Mrs Jockney has gone into full headmistress mode when it comes to making them revise and everyone else's life a misery at the same time.

Peace and goodwill to all ? 

Not in our house it isnt !

I will try and sneak a few hours in over the next couple of days, fast running out of time need to get my finger out !

cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Couple of questions, if anyone can help me

What colour are the props ? Black blades, silver hub, yellow tips ?

Also, the single browning at the waist openings. Do I omit the guns as I can't see how I can include them with a solid 1 piece window ? Has anyone got a picture of the window open with the gun out ?

cheers Pat

Time for an update

First of all I found out the props are as I thought, silver hub, black blades, yellow tips.

IMG_4238

I found more damage on the kit as all but one of the props has a broken off mounting shaft. As I like to have spinning pros this was a challenge. We the answer was in some small nails that just need cutting to length and the back of the prop hub drilled out to take it

IMG_4239

I eventually got the two halves of the fuselage together, but it was a battle, some of the gaps are painful to look at so lots of filler required.

IMG_4240

Wings are done, but again the fit to fuselage is poor. Therefore I will leave the engines off until I have finished the filling and sanding 

IMG_4241

cheers Pat

• Like 7

I had the same seam issues with my build Pat. I also had to add a lot of putty in behind the cockpit transparency to get rid of a huge step. It has stalled as I need to get some olive drab paint for it.

When you get the seams sorted and the wings on you will just about have it finished! :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I had the same seam issues with my build Pat. I also had to add a lot of putty in behind the cockpit transparency to get rid of a huge step. It has stalled as I need to get some olive drab paint for it.

When you get the seams sorted and the wings on you will just about have it finished! :D

Hi Ray

I just caught up with your build, looks the business.

I can appreciate how much work you are having to put in, at least I have avoided having to fill the tail as well !

The detail of hollowing out the air intakes, i doth my cap to you sir, but I will be taking the cheating  route and painting mine black, to look like I did the work.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Mind the Gap !

IMG_4242

IMG_4243

IMG_4244

A whole night of filling !

Need to get some new paint, as the white I have is too thick, also I usually use enamel but with all this glasing I will swap to acrylic so I can recover any accidents / botch ups.

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Hi Pat,

it has been a while. Compliments of the season to you and family!

The B-17 does look like one now, but the gaps are a sight to behold!!! I would use CA glue with such extensive cracks, as putty may not be tough enough not to have the joints re-open.

Whatever you use, you are going to use a lot of!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Haha 1

Some nasty looking gaps there Pat, I agree with Jean that CA is probably the way to go.

There is a LOT of white in the Coastal Command scheme Pat, I ended up using Halford's alliance white on mine as otherwise I would probably still be going through pots of Gunze white still now!

• Like 1