UH-1D Kittyhawk 1/48

iwik

Hi y'all!

Here are some pics of my build. Sorry, I don't feel like commenting them tonight, but if you have any questions concerning the built, please feel free to ask...🤗

IMG-3017.jpg
IMG-3015-1.jpg
IMG-3012-1.jpg
IMG-3010-1.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
IMG-2936.jpg
IMG-2935.jpg
IMG-2934.jpg
IMG-2933.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Ciao

Iwik

Edited by iwik
  • Like 51

The only thing missing from this build is the sound of 'Fortunate Son' by CCR playing over the airwaves.

That is absolutely lovely, very nicely done.  One of the best Huey's I've ever seen.  The weathering is sublime, perfect.  Your attention to the smallest details is a credit to your skills.  It is stuff like this that plants the seed to move up to '48 from '72 scale.....

The nose art is fab and I would highly recommend the book 'Vietnam War Helicopter Art' by John Brennan for excellent full colour nose artwork from 'Nam.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work buddy.

Phil

Hi!

So many nice words!!! I'm blushing... Nooo, just kidding. But keep them coming! :)

Booty003, I have that great book. So unfortunate decal manufacturers can't use most of them since they lack the ID on those birds...

Bruce, the fit was...tight in some place. For ex, you have to remove some plastic from the sides of the instrument panel in order to fit the nose, and the roof in a bit tricky to lay on top of the cabin. I had to glue it in force to align itself properly, but it may have been because I misaligned the sides in the first place. On the other hand, the instructions are quite obscure and the lack of pins in some places is cruelly felt. The tail halves need to be spread a bit as you can see in one of my pics, unless you want a huge step to appear once you join it with the rest of the cabin...

Lots of small little problems that really bug you along the way, not in a difficult way, but rather make you think that this kit was just a step away from being REALLY nice if they had put some more work into it.

Do buy this kit. It's the best Huey in town.

Ciao

Iwik

Edited by iwik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, iwik said:

Hi!

So many nice words!!! I'm blushing... Nooo, just kidding. But keep them coming! :)

Booty003, I have that great book. So unfortunate decal manufacturers can't use most of them since they lack the ID on those birds...

Bruce, the fit was...tight in some place. For ex, you have to remove some plastic from the sides of the instrument panel in order to fit the nose, and the roof in a bit tricky to lay on top of the cabin. I had to glue it in force to align itself properly, but it may have been because I misaligned the sides in the first place. On the other hand, the instructions are quite obscure and the lack of pins in some places is cruelly felt. The tail halves need to be spread a bit as you can see in one of my pics, unless you want a huge step to appear once you join it with the rest of the cabin...

Lots of small little problems that really bug you along the way, not in a difficult way, but rather make you think that this kit was just a step away from being REALLY nice if they had put some more work into it.

Do buy this kit. It's the best Huey in town.

Ciao

Iwik

Iwik

Really nice build. This sounds so much like the Kitty Hawk SU-17 - So many really nice things and details spoiled by niggly and sometimes stupid mistakes which make the build long and frustrating. Thing is Kitty Hawk keep coming out with tempting models so all we can do is hope that they improve.

Cheers

Malcolm